Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cricket at Crossroads - Points of View

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I think the players will have a bit to say, they enjoy 50 overs more then 20/20

I still think they should try two 25 over innings for ODI
    They enjoy money more then ODIs or Twenty20 Cricket. If players have a say it will be reduce ODIs and Twenty20 Internationals, so they have more time for IPL and maybe other tournments like this.

I can't see Test Cricket being effected as players complain already about 2-Test series. But if players have a say then we might see the death of tri series, 7 match ODI series as well any potential multi match Twenty20 International series (even though they are hardly occuring yet).
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    They enjoy money more then ODIs or Twenty20 Cricket. If players have a say it will be reduce ODIs and Twenty20 Internationals, so they have more time for IPL and maybe other tournments like this.

I can't see Test Cricket being effected as players complain already about 2-Test series. But if players have a say then we might see the death of tri series, 7 match ODI series as well any potential multi match Twenty20 International series (even though they are hardly occuring yet).
    True, but I never liked 7 match series anyway, I much prefer 5 matches
    You know it makes sense.

I have to say, that I still think Test cricket will be around here in a 100years
    Yeah, can't remember where I read it, but was reading a book on cricket that outlines how throughout every cricketing generation there's been a concept of 'cricket at the crossroads' and how the big issue of the day is threatening game etc etc and cricket has always survived and arguably gotten a lot stronger. I think (or maybe it was the author can't remember) the question gets asked so often because as cricket fans we tend to over analyse things a bit too much, at times.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Yeah, can't remember where I read it, but was reading a book on cricket that outlines how throughout every cricketing generation there's been a concept of 'cricket at the crossroads' and how the big issue of the day is threatening game etc etc and cricket has always survived and arguably gotten a lot stronger. I think (or maybe it was the author can't remember) the question gets asked so often because as cricket fans we tend to over analyse things a bit too much, at times.
    Ian Johnson called a book just that in the 50s

Banned
    tl;dr

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Said it before - I hope the first thing the IPL will do away with is the need for Twenty20 Internationals.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    I think the players will have a bit to say, they enjoy 50 overs more then 20/20

I still think they should try two 25 over innings for ODI
    Prabably true but they love the moolah above all else

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    I'm pretty pessimistic about cricket's future. Test cricket only appears to have a real culture over here - perhaps in Australia too, but only with the Ashes. I can see a fragmentation of the game into commercial tournaments and the destruction of the proper international game. It will, in many countries, end up a purely amateur sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Said it before - I hope the first thing the IPL will do away with is the need for Twenty20 Internationals.
    ...away from the World Championships.

I believe that the lure of the IPL gives the ICC a very realistic challenge to sell international cricket (specifically 50 over and Test cricket), to the international players. This will be beneficial to all involved. If played correctly, the ICC should reduce the number of international matches, to prevent overkill and keep each tour as an experience for any player. With the help of national boards, we should see international salaries on the up as well as an increased effort (though I doubt the BCCI will take as much care) to improve pitches - giving the batsmen a massive challenge against the top bowlers (who will be given assistance).

Or maybe I am being too optimistic.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Pinball Champion!
    Cricket is rapidly turning into football or any American sport you care to mention.. Thats good for some, probably most people, but definitely not for me.. Not cool
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Cricket is rapidly turning into football or any American sport you care to mention.. Thats good for some, probably most people, but definitely not for me.. Not cool
    Interesting. Personally, I love the organization, professionalism and overall structure of American sport. I hope to hell it becomes like US sports.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Interesting. Personally, I love the organization, professionalism and overall structure of American sport. I hope to hell it becomes like US sports.
    Nah, that is what is great about cricket; playing for your country, not free agents, and the richest club/city/country have the best players

Just great in the USA with player strikes, lock outs etc

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Nah, that is what is great about cricket; playing for your country, not free agents, and the richest club/city/country have the best players

Just great in the USA with player strikes, lock outs etc
    NFL is extremely stable. And very exciting. And the players are happier, the fans are happier, and the owners are happier. The training, fitness, grassroots system is better, and it is run in a professional manner which leads to fantastic quality in matches.

To me, I want to see great Test matches. I don't really care who they are between.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    NFL is extremely stable. And very exciting. And the players are happier, the fans are happier, and the owners are happier. The training, fitness, grassroots system is better, and it is run in a professional manner which leads to fantastic quality in matches.
    Strangely, there are those who think that the lack of professionalism at the grass-roots level is part of cricket's charm. It, in reality, is really holding the game back. District level sides are on the verge of closing or merging with bigger clubs due to lack of money and mostly still rely on local sponsorship dollars, interstate cricket is still struggling for crowd numbers generally. It isn't by accident that even high school sports are regularly sold-out in the US yet we here in Aus still haven't learnt the lesson. Sure there's little international level competition for the bigger American sports to aspire to but when they do, the US dominates and it's no coincidence.

The US system is expert at developing new talent and instances of talented players in cricket being lost due to injury (Zahid, Ngam) or other reasons where proper management would potentially have changed the outcome are anathema to most hyper-organised US systems. It's quite disgraceful how many talented players are lost to the game through poor management/treatment and we certainly hear it in the press often enough through the treatment by their home boards of guys like Saqlain, Mustaq, Stuart Law, Shane Bond, Vinod Kambli and many, many others. The end result is failure and people are all too quick to blame the player when a little care and professionalism by those tasked to look after these players would have gone a long way. Truth is, you have to fit a certain few personalities to do well in cricket and if you don't, you get ostracised whereas in the US, the grass-roots system seems to be able to separate the talent from the personality and treat the player accordingly, giving them every opportunity to do well and if they don't, there's only one person to blame. Sure it seems like I'm painting a bit of a rosy picture but it's broadly true.

As for player strikes, they don't happen very often. Only baseball has seriously been affected really.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one of the articles above seriously over-states the popularity of IPL in Australia. It's footy season and most column inches are being taken up with that. I doubt ratings of the televised matches are awesome either.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 06-05-2008 at 06:21 PM.

still scratching around in the same old hole

To me, I want to see great Test matches. I don't really care who they are between.
    I love the NFL and its financially strong but there are also massive issues. Mainly lack of guaranteed contracts for players, conflict between league and players union, poor quality product being put on the field, and an outdated draft system where teams do not want high picks.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information