• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steven Smith - Will he go anywhere?

Spark

Global Moderator
I almost want him back just to see the meltdown..
Come on, you guys all know better than this: he wouldn't meltdown, he'd start a 15 page argument on why actually this and every other innings meant nothing and Smith's actually a hack because he can't possibly be wrong about him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't like to speak ill of the departed, but Blocky was a **** of the highest order.

flibbertyjibber

This Smith geezer is going to go down as a better player than Ponting if he carries on like he is for much longer. Can't give him any higher praise than that as Ponting to me is comfortably the best Aussie bat out of the great side they had and while Smith might not be as easy on the eye he gets runs, lots and lots of them.

cnerd123

likes this
I just want to see if Smith has that inevitable form slump all batsmen have, and if so, how he deals with it

Burgey

He had it in SL. Averaged 40 odd.

No doubt he'll have a time when he's lean, but he's just a run scoring machine. Doesn't care for aesthetics, he just scores runs. It's ridiculous.

Whenever these really good players have a run like this it makes me wonder how the **** Bradman did it for 20 years

Spark

Global Moderator
I just want to see if Smith has that inevitable form slump all batsmen have, and if so, how he deals with it
He's had a few, actually. The thing is that he almost immediately adjusts his technique somehow and then uses sheer willpower to get a hundred in the next Test or so.

Slifer

International Captain
Tbf, they've been quite a few players who've averaged around 60 or so after a good amount of tests: Sobers, Hammond, etc. Smith's conversion rate and adaptability imo are what stands out for me.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure Blocky is loving it...
Mercifully that is something we will never find out.
Actually...

Blocky said:
Smith has a golden horse shoe up his ass, challenging conditions and he gets five chances, then wins and bats first on the only wicket in India that you can expect to score a 500-600 type score in.

He's done better than I expected, but also shown all of the flaws in his game in his failures that I can't believe aren't exploited more.
From another forum.

vcs

I can't believe he didn't mention his fatal technical flaw against balls that shoot along the ground.