• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steven Smith - Will he go anywhere?

cnerd123

likes this
Blocky has either found another audience for him Grade-A trolling, and if so I wish him well, or he's just a sad, sad man.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'm claiming this one. 13 year old me was an idiot; I reckon this is the exception proving that rule.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Class NUFAN
I cringed when I first saw my comment today but what I wrote 8 years ago was popular opinion and accurate in way of fielding, captaincy material, right arm leggie potential, it's just that Smith has absolutely demolished my expectations of him with the bat. There is no way when I first saw him he'd even belong in the Border-SWaugh-Ponting conversation.

Also in different circumstances Cam White playing 80 Tests, 40 as captain, averaging 42 with the bat and taking 100 catches is believable.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'll be the first to admit I could not see the batting potential in Smith at all. I had no idea what has happened would happen.

Best case scenario I saw for him was a poor man's Benaud, maybe batting at 7 or 8 and slogging it around and being a decent leggie.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, hated the way he stayed leg side of the ball when he debuted. Looked like a scared eight year old. But then he changed his technique and worked so hard to become a gun. It's why he was, is, always TPC.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, hated the way he stayed leg side of the ball when he debuted. Looked like a scared eight year old. But then he changed his technique and worked so hard to become a gun. It's why he was, is, always TPC.
And I think that's why he's a great. He's the bloke who is the best at figuring out ways to score runs in international cricket. There are more classical or elegant players than him but nobody with his adaptability.

Can you imagine where we'd be in India without him? We'd possibly not have won the first test. We'd almost certainly have collapsed in the seconds test and we'd have definitely suffered an innings defeat here (and we still might if he gets out cheaply). There's no more valuable wicket in world cricket right now.

91Jmay

International Coach
He is going to go down as a top 5 all time bat, his ability to convert and go big is scary especially as he normally scores at an excellent clip (although doesn't need to as he has proven here, which is invaluable skill).

stephen

If Smith gets 19 ducks in a row his average will fall below 50. That's (almost) every innings for two five test series'.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
when considering the 'big four', is the gap between smith and the rest now comparable to the gap between kohli and the rest in limited overs cricket?

stephen

when considering the 'big four', is the gap between smith and the rest now comparable to the gap between kohli and the rest in limited overs cricket?
Fun fact: Smith is better vs India than Kohli is vs Australia. But Kohli's overall average of 53 is ridiculously insane. As is his ridiculous average vs NZ. Averaging nearly 70 vs the third best ODI side is ridiculous.

Gob

International Coach
Think this is as good a time to re watch that video Spikey made of Smitteh few years back

Burner

International Regular
I remember Smith saying in an interview that he was going to focus on his bowling because there were 'quite a few of them (batsmen) going around.' Today he averages 61 with the bat, has 19 hundreds under his belt and rarely ever rolls his arm over. Now that's a man with integrity :ph34r: