• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the new Allan Donald?

Is Steyn the new Allan Donald?

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
@ Topic - Absolutely. Steyn's fast bowling is just as ***y to watch and just as incisive.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Allan Donald has the best statistics in the subcontinent barring none.Steyn did well against the Pakistanis as well .But he lacks that punch of Donald (may be he improve that part) that scaring part and aggression .Or that X factor .He is a fine prospect .
Well Steyn has no shown that he can do just as well on the subcontinent with reverse swing.

@Topic definitely yes.

BlazeDragon

Banned
IMO he's better than Donald. In fact at this stage I'd say that Steyn is the greatest South African quick ever, and is heading north in his all time stakes worldwide.
Well that's why we disagree.

Even if you could prove that with his current record though his career could still go downhill from here so I won't make the mistake of declaring a top-teir ATG already.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry if I repeat what others have said here, because I've not read through the thread.

Steyn and Donald are different bowlers. Steyn quick and with a terrific ability to bowl outswing either at very good pace or at fast medium. Donald taller, got more bounce, and more reliant on pace. I think of him more as an inswing bowler than an outswinger as well.

Not sure who's the "better" bowler. Pretty close, I suppose, but my point is that you're comparing very good apples with very good oranges.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I voted `no` because there can never be another Allan Donald and there can never be another Dale Steyn.

However, I think Steyn might already be better than him.

Might be another story if Donald managed to have a full career.

Darth018

Banned
Considering he is only 28 years old, rating Steyn better than Donald now (which he isn't) would be about as premature as rating the current England side as the greatest of all time. Although some already do it in this place :wallbash:

Cricket celebrities always do this kind of stuff and it comes back to bite them back in the ass 75% of the times.

Jacknife

International Captain
Considering he is only 28 years old, rating Steyn better than Donald now (which he isn't) would be about as premature as rating the current England side as the greatest of all time. Although some already do it in this place :wallbash:

Cricket celebrities always do this kind of stuff and it comes back to bite them back in the ass 75% of the times.
Do you actually believe that England fans on this site rate this England side the best ever? I know a few take the piss in the poll they did but I would put money on no England fan on this site thinking that, or am I missing some hidden joke here?.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Allan Donald is ATG and a top 15 fast bowler and definately top 20 bowler of All Time, Steyn is great, but not sure he is quite there as yet. May be on his way to that level very quickly though, possesses an amazing skill set that compares quite favourably to some of the greats of the past.
Undoubtably the greatest bowler playing today though.

Flem274*

123/5
Steyn has 255 wickets at the best strike rate ever during the era with the flattest pitches in history.

He's an all time great.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well, actually, during the last 10 years SRs have fallen so if anything picking up wickets hasn't been as hard/slow as other eras. It is the average which has risen.

FBU

International Debutant
Donald v Steyn
just some figures...

Batsmen 1-3 39.1% v 31.2%
Batsmen 4-7 34.8% v 35.6%
Batsmen 8-11 26.1% v 33.2%

Donald - bowled 18.8% caught 38.2% c/b 30.3% lbw 12.4%
Steyn - bowled 24.5% caught 38.3% c/b 20.9% lbw 16.2%

Steyn
Sehwag 52.16 (7)
Harbhajan 18.66 (7)