• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hair 'could umpire Tests again' - Mali

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/313969.html

On the fifth day of Darrell Hair's tribunal hearing against the ICC, a heightened sense of theatricality. On Thursday, Sir John Anderson had described in unequivocal terms exactly what he thought of the off-field performance of the umpire who belongs to the elite panel in name only. Now, it was his turn to receive a pummelling. For, make no mistake, that is what this was.

Robert Griffiths, Hair's QC, had been on his sickbed on Thursday. Fuelled by paracetamol and water (just the one glass of wine) he returned to the Central London Employment Tribunal and proceeded to give Anderson an inquisition he can never have received before in his business career. The upshot was that the chairman of the New Zealand Board was forced to admit that the interests of cricket - and, crucially, its commercial interests - overrode consideration of an official whom he agreed was of "high calibre" when it came to the execution of the Laws of Cricket.

Griffiths drew out of Anderson that after he and two other ICC executives had effectively sealed Hair's demotion at sub-committee level last November, the Board took just five minutes to find agreement with their conclusions. In other words, to relieve Hair of top-level international matches. No matter that the two officials who botched up the World Cup final in the spring - in Griffiths' phrase - remain on the elite panel.

Anderson, who was in a muddle whether Zimbabwe were playing Test cricket last year or not, made two rather curious remarks. One was that "technically" there was no way Hair could re-start the Oval Test against Pakistan once it had been awarded to England. The other was that the ICC "changed the terms of his contract" whereas the tribunal had previously been told that this encompassed standing in both full member and associate matches. Anderson had already stated: "In his contract, ICC was able to give Mr Hair any particular matches."

Tying witnesses in knots is, of course, what QCs are paid handsomely to do. But they have to do it sympathetically, otherwise they will not find favour with a tribunal panel. So when Ray Mali, the president of the ICC, took to the witness box in the afternoon and did not respond to Griffiths' first question, appeared not to realise he had to answer the second and then said to the third, "I am amazed I am asked that by someone of your calibre," the QC did not take umbrage.

Griffiths turned to the media, who included on this occasion one Michael Atherton (no-one laughed more all day) and, jokingly, said: "I hope the press has taken note of that." But if this was a moment of jocularity, no-one seemed prepared for what Mali said next. The demotion of Hair, he declared, was "a corrective measure." He then added: "I don't see any reason why Mr Hair should not return to the Elite panel and umpire Test matches." Griffiths repeated that statement to make sure Mali was fully aware of what he was saying.

If that is so, then what is this case all about?

"You wouldn't want to be facing that (cross-examination from Griffiths)" said Athers. How he must have been wishing the QC had been available when he had his own spot of ball-tampering trouble in 1994. Peter Burge and Ray Illingworth would not have stood a chance, just as Anderson and Mali did not now.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
It would be the most dire thing that could ever happen.....and the drama and Politics of Cricket on a day to day basis in a match he officiates would become very comical...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have no problems with it, a good umpire imo:)
not really. Good in decision making as far as LBWs and caught behinds are concerned, but shows a shocking lack of common sense and therefore should be nowhere near an international game as its umpire.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let's hope that maybe this stint might have taught him a bit about common-sense.

If he were to learn some of that, I'd be only too glad to have him Umpiring internationals again. If Pakistan and Sri Lanka should trust him again.

archie mac

International Coach
not really. Good in decision making as far as LBWs and caught behinds are concerned, but shows a shocking lack of common sense and therefore should be nowhere near an international game as its umpire.
I am sure that will be mentioned to him, and hopefully he is a big enough man to admit he needs to change that part of his game:)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
His position as a test umpire is untenable & Hair is a smart enough man to realise this. The case is about a financial settlement only I would say. He'll be looking for compensation for loss of earnings and damage to his reputation.

Is Ray Mali renowned as a schmuck, then? Came off as one.

pasag

RTDAS
I know many here vehemently dislike him and he has erred in the past no doubt, but as long as he would change for the better and learnt his lesson, I'd have no problems with him coming back although I can't ever see it happening.

stumpski

International Captain
This is the same Ray Mali that predicted Zimbabwe could be no. 1 ODI team, then? Let's see which comes to pass first.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Mali is a bit of schmuck anyway. But I don't want Hair to umpire any form of cricket ever again, period.

But I am sure he'll get hired by certain countries in domestic cricket. Unfortunate, but nothing you can do about it. I don't like the fact that he took so much more flak than Doctrove (who should have stood up with or against him). But Hair had a history.

cameeel

International Captain
this is BS. How can ICC can even think of allowing this racist scum bag near a cricket pitch:-O
I assume you're referring to the Asian bloc then? If there's any racism involved here it's the PCB and BCCI that are at fault.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I know many here vehemently dislike him and he has erred in the past no doubt, but as long as he would change for the better and learnt his lesson, I'd have no problems with him coming back although I can't ever see it happening.
oh, that would be good, no doubt.

And obviously I don't know him at all, but he doesn't seem to me to be the type of a person who is willing to change or admit his mistakes.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I assume you're referring to the Asian bloc then? If there's any racism involved here it's the PCB and BCCI that are at fault.
lol @ how it is always the Asian bloc who are racist. Why the hell else does Hair bring up what Koertzen supposedly said about Pakistanis being "cheats"?

The Asian bloc are only as racist as the Australians, btw......

cameeel

International Captain
lol @ how it is always the Asian bloc who are racist. Why the hell else does Hair bring up what Koertzen supposedly said about Pakistanis being "cheats"?

The Asian bloc are only as racist as the Australians, btw......
The Asian bloc voted to have Hair stripped of international matches (an umpire who they have accused of racism in the past) whilst taking absolutely no action against the other, equally responsible, umpire who was of a different racial stock; and you expect me to believe that race played no part in the actions of the SLC, PCB and BCCI??