• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne vs Bill O'Reilly

Who do you think was a better legspinner,Shane Warne or Bill O'Reilly

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Warne.

Uncovered pitches, bats of old, and still an S/R of almost 70? No thanks.

Don't mean to suggest that O'Reilly was not a great bowler but Warne pretty easily IMO.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Not qualified enough to make that judgment, That option should be there..

I didn't watch O'Reilly and if Shane warne was an ordinary spinner, I would have picked O'Reilly over him based on what I have read and heard in the cricket history but Mr. Warne was one heck of a spinner and hence my inability to make a decision.

pasag

RTDAS
Not qualified enough to make that judgment, That option should be there..

I didn't watch O'Reilly and if Shane warne was an ordinary spinner, I would have picked O'Reilly over him based on what I have read and heard in the cricket history but Mr. Warne was one heck of a spinner and hence my inability to make a decision.
Yeah, pretty much the same here.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Shane Warne stood out far more than O'Reilly
Some debate over whether O'Reilly was the greater LBG bowler over Grimmett

No teammate even close to Warne during his reign

pup11

International Coach
Tiger was a hell of bowler from whatever i have heard and read about him, but for me Warney is easily the best spinner ever and one of the best cricket brains ever to play the game, so i would vote for Warne.
Btw,all you guys who have voted in favour of Tiger O'Reilly, have you seen him bowl??

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I have seen b&w footage of O'Reilly bowl. Huge diff between his delivery action and Warne's.
His was arms whirling, twirling askew in circulatory movements perhaps adding to the intimidation and confusion at the manner of delivery to be imparted.

Warne's was controlled aggression...minimal effort for maximum affect

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think the thing to note is that there was so much more to Warne than mere bowling.

It's very conceivable to me that there was little to divide the two purely on bowling - nor Grimmett neither, for that matter. Or Murali.

But we can't really say for certain. I'm happy that they were roughly equals, personally. :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
both were great bowlers but since i haven't seen o'reilly in action, i have no idea...

archie mac

International Coach
Warne.

Uncovered pitches, bats of old, and still an S/R of almost 70? No thanks.

Don't mean to suggest that O'Reilly was not a great bowler but Warne pretty easily IMO.

S/R is not a stat that can be used to compare bowlers from different eras imo

O'Reilly played in an era when a lot of the Tests were played to a finish on some of the flattest tracks ever, against some of the greatest batsman in the history of the game:)

I have no doubt Warne is also an all time great, and he would be welcomed into any side in the history of cricket:cool:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think the thing to note is that there was so much more to Warne than mere bowling.

It's very conceivable to me that there was little to divide the two purely on bowling - nor Grimmett neither, for that matter. Or Murali.

But we can't really say for certain. I'm happy that they were roughly equals, personally. :)
What an excellent view to take.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Shane Warne stood out far more than O'Reilly
Some debate over whether O'Reilly was the greater LBG bowler over Grimmett

No teammate even close to Warne during his reign
What about Stuart MacGill in the West Indies?