• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asif Named Pakistan Vice-Captain

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I like the move. He's clearly the most talented of the Pakistani youngsters. He'll hopefully grow into the job and it won't affect his bowling.

FRAZ

International Captain
I like the move. He's clearly the most talented of the Pakistani youngsters. He'll hopefully grow into the job and it won't affect his bowling.
There is one other definite reason behind it and that was that both Asif and Shoaib have been playing together as being part of the different regional teams plus his (Asif) home town is near to Shoaib's and I knew it may happen and I guess that it definitely is a good move !!

pasag

RTDAS
Although I've defended Asif in the past from people who want to throw him in the gulag, this is a very strange decision indeed. I mean, it's not like he's playing because the drug charges were proven wrong or whatever, it was just a technicality. And to think there are guys in the side like MoYo who try and live their lives spiritually and get passed over (although people will say since he'll never be captain he shouldn't be vice, but how is he supposed to feel?), well it's definitely not the right move, especially so soon. I have no problem with him being (vice)captain later down the track, but jeez, now? So soon? Not cool imo.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Poor decision, Yousuf would have been a better choice. Asif is much too young and inexperienced, plus with the drugging issue still hanging over him I don't think it is very smart to appoint him as vice-captain.

FRAZ

International Captain
Poor decision, Yousuf would have been a better choice. Asif is much too young and inexperienced, plus with the drugging issue still hanging over him I don't think it is very smart to appoint him as vice-captain.
Honestly speaking we dont really need those senior players who avoid coming at the top of the order for their own career average sake . Mo Yo was never a pure VC candidate and ok if he had any chance for becoming some thing then he should have been captain . But once again we dont need such seniors as captains who want to just play their personal part in the game and having no courage to come up the order to solve the age old opening problem of Pakistan !!!

Perm

Honestly speaking we dont really need those senior players who avoid coming at the top of the order for their own career average sake . Mo Yo was never a pure VC candidate and ok if he had any chance for becoming some thing then he should have been captain . But once again we dont need such seniors as captains who want to just play their personal part in the game and having no courage to come up the order to solve the age old opening problem of Pakistan !!!
You want Yousuf opening? :laugh: Nice one.

FRAZ

International Captain
You want Yousuf opening? :laugh: Nice one.
Yeah Imran Khan coming up the order when needed :laugh: ! And Tendulkar trying himself every where ha ha HA and Dravid trying himself upstairs ha ha and so on so forth !
WHY NOT INZAMAM OR YOUSAF !!!!!

Perm

Yeah Imran Khan coming up the order when needed :laugh: ! And Tendulkar trying himself every where ha ha HA and Dravid trying himself upstairs ha ha and so on so forth !
WHY NOT INZAMAM OR YOUSAF !!!!!
BECAUSE INZAMAM AND YOUSUF ARE TOO GOOD

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
But I totally agree with Fraz about Pakistani seniors refusing to take responsibility.

We have the example of Dravid who agreed to open so many times in crisis (in tests mainly) though he simply hates that job.

In one dayers batting at 4 and 5 offers a cushy job. The pressure is right at the top or at the end to finish with a flourish.

Inzy may not open in ODI's but he should have definitely moved to number three.

Same with Lara.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lara did it because he wanted to groom players like Samuels. I still agree he should have batted 3, but he knew he was going soon and I reckon he honestly had WI cricket in mind when he decided he'd bat so low.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lara did it because he wanted to groom players like Samuels. I still agree he should have batted 3, but he knew he was going soon and I reckon he honestly had WI cricket in mind when he decided he'd bat so low.
yeah, batting at 5 or 6 is always more difficult than at the top 4 in ODIs, esp. given how the pitches across the world have been for ODIs since 2000 or so...

On the topic, does seem a little strange that they are punting on a bowler being VC even though history seems to show that bowlers generally don't make good captains.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i consider it a poor decisian also and so do kamran abbasi. here is the link.
http://blogs.cricinfo.com/pakspin/archives/2007/05/a_vice_too_early_1.php

god some of those comments are just unreadable for me lol. they want guys like Kamran akmal, hafeez, butt, razzaq and so on to be the vice capitain. i thought shahid afridi was a good choice for vice captaincy. i have a feeling that with responsibilities in his shoulders, his game might improve and he might play iwht more responsibility.

R_D

International Debutant
i consider it a poor decisian also and so do kamran abbasi. here is the link.
http://blogs.cricinfo.com/pakspin/archives/2007/05/a_vice_too_early_1.php

god some of those comments are just unreadable for me lol. they want guys like Kamran akmal, hafeez, butt, razzaq and so on to be the vice capitain. i thought shahid afridi was a good choice for vice captaincy. i have a feeling that with responsibilities in his shoulders, his game might improve and he might play iwht more responsibility.

heehe Afridi ?
Hasn't he retired from Test matches anyway.... he's not even a regular in odi team so don't see how he'd be vice-captain. I kind of do feel sorry Yousouf, he's one of the seniors probaly deserved to ge VC ahead of inexperienced player like Asif. Considering Asif is still in trouble with WADA... probaly not such a smart move by PCB.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I think the dynamic of the situation forced the board's hand in this case. They really had no "great" choices for Captain, so they went with a young Malik. The board needed to make sure he has no obstacles as the team's leader and Captain. So IMO, they couldn't appoint Yousaf as the VC. There couldn't be a challenge to Malik's leadership. Yousaf had aspirations to be Captain and appointing him to a VC position could've destabilized Malik's hold on the team.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Staggering is the only word. IIRC part of his defence regarding his unwitting consumption of the banned steroid was that he was such an unworldly young fellow he happily took whatever he was offered by anyone in a white coat purporting to be a doctor.

Surely such a naive ingenue is not obvious vice-captain material? Unless... :ph34r:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think the dynamic of the situation forced the board's hand in this case.
You are dead right there. The Indian board finds itself in a similar mess and have taken the option of going on tour without a VC. Then again...
They really had no "great" choices for Captain, so they went with a young Malik. The board needed to make sure he has no obstacles as the team's leader and Captain.
Why didnt they have a choice? Why isnt Mohammad Yousuf a choice? If he is incapable and not a good leader why was he vice captain for so long. The case of Mohammad Yousuf and Pakistan captaincy is a very messy one and would have raised a massive stink but for how sensitive the matter is.

PCB stands badly exposed and they have only themselves to blame for this un'holy' mess