• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asif Named Pakistan Vice-Captain

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Can't think of any other real option TBH. With Yousuf you have the issue of a leadership battle down the track. Younis can't make the side. Kamran Akmal would have been a good option IMO, but his position in the side is under major threat. As is most of their opening batsmen. Razzaq and Afridi aren't really captaincy options and seem to be in and out of the side these days. The rest of quicks are still fighting for their spots.

Really its a case of last man standing, considering all the issues around the Pakistan side. There are better options, but due to external issues Malik and Asif are probably the only guys they could have choosen.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Why didnt they have a choice? Why isnt Mohammad Yousuf a choice? If he is incapable and not a good leader why was he vice captain for so long. The case of Mohammad Yousuf and Pakistan captaincy is a very messy one and would have raised a massive stink but for how sensitive the matter is.

PCB stands badly exposed and they have only themselves to blame for this un'holy' mess
The board had already decided to go in a different and younger path from the past. Therefore, Yousaf was out as Captain. He never really excited me as Captaincy material anyway. So if Yousaf is not your Captain, but clearly wanted to be, then it would've been dangerous to appoint him as VC. As Chaminda said above, it really was a case of last man standing and that was Asif. By the way, your pun about the holy aspect of it all does not figure into the decision here IMO.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Why didnt they have a choice? Why isnt Mohammad Yousuf a choice? If he is incapable and not a good leader why was he vice captain for so long. The case of Mohammad Yousuf and Pakistan captaincy is a very messy one and would have raised a massive stink but for how sensitive the matter is.

PCB stands badly exposed and they have only themselves to blame for this un'holy' mess
The think is that Yousuf was vice captain a long time under a more senior player in Inzi. I can't see him being to happy to be vice captain under a less experienced player in Malik. People seem to look at his relgious nature and forgot how selfish a player he really is. Fraz mention before that he choose to bat in the lower middle order to improve his record, over doing the best thing for the team and bat a 3, or try opening. Like a lot of Pakistan players his a bit too selfish to be captain or vice captain.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The think is that Yousuf was vice captain a long time under a more senior player in Inzi. I can't see him being to happy to be vice captain under a less experienced player in Malik. .
You missed it completely. I was saying why isnt MoYo a choice as Captain ?

As for his being selfish. I dont know. Maybe so maybe not. But if you want to go by what some players or ex cricketers (eternally divided into camps) say about other players you have to take with dollops of salt.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The board had already decided to go in a different and younger path from the past.
Why ?

Because he is too old ?

Is that a valid argument? He is going to be the mainstay of Paksitani batting for quite a few years isnt he. If he is not too old to be the leading batsman in the side how come he is too old to be captain? The whole world would have senior(older) players continuing as captains if only they deserved a place in the side.

In the subcontinent we keep changing the goal posts and redefining criteria because we have already decided who we want and who we dont.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
You missed it completely. I was saying why isnt MoYo a choice as Captain ?

As for his being selfish. I dont know. Maybe so maybe not. But if you want to go by what some players or ex cricketers (eternally divided into camps) say about other players you have to take with dollops of salt.
Well he wasn't considered for captaincy, as they were looking for a younger captain to build a new generation around. Yousuf would have been a short term option, how long will be around for really. The other thing was to move away from the current generation of selfish players in the Pakistan side. Clearly when appointing someone like Malik they were looking for a younger captain, and well a yes man. Most of the other 'senior' players would want a bit too much control for PCB liking. Also there is a chance they will put their own needs infront of the team.

When it comes to believing what current and past players say, as well as the general media. I usually go by this logic. If one person says it, i brush it aside a one person opinon. If a couple people says it, i take it as a just small fraction opinon. When majority of people are saying it, there has to be some truth behind it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Well he wasn't considered for captaincy, as they were looking for a younger captain to build a new generation around.
Really. And India would have made Tendulkar captain if he had not been woefully out of form !

Want to know how many international captains have been made when older than Yousuf ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
When it comes to believing what current and past players say, as well as the general media. I usually go by this logic. If one person says it, i brush it aside a one person opinon. If a couple people says it, i take it as a just small fraction opinon. When majority of people are saying it, there has to be some truth behind it.
Do you have any idea what people say in private about making Yousuf the captain? Have you been to Pakistan? Have you talked to People their what they feel about his being captain (or even vice vcaptain) ? Do you know the reasons for his 'problems' with some other Pakistani cricketers?

pup11

International Coach
What a comeback present for Asif!!

Anyways no big deal as PCB has already said that they would appoint a different vice-captain for every alternate tour.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Really. And India would have made Tendulkar captain if he had not been woefully out of form !

Want to know how many international captains have been made when older than Yousuf ?
It should be noted that i don't really think Yousuf is too old to be captain. But the age factor was one of the reason mentioned why he wasn't considered.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Do you have any idea what people say in private about making Yousuf the captain? Have you been to Pakistan? Have you talked to People their what they feel about his being captain (or even vice vcaptain) ? Do you know the reasons for his 'problems' with some other Pakistani cricketers?
Well i don't know the personal comments about what are made about Yousuf. I can only go from what i've read and his behaviour when he was captain.

When it comes down to it, he was a pretty crap captain, didn't show much ability to get much extra out of the team. Did you watch many of the games that his captain in the past, his pretty useless as captain, and lacked any imagination.

pasag

RTDAS
I was almost certain Yousuf wasn't given the captaincy because of religion especially after there was some blame on the poor World Cup showing, if I remember the media on it correctly, that players were too focused on religion and not enough on cricket. The age thing doesn't make too much sense tbh, it's a rebuilding time for Pakistan cricket and I wouldn't leave the captaincy in the hands of someone who is only 25, it makes much more sense for Yousuf to have it in a transitional period, perhaps grooming Malik for the long term. As it stands it's going to be a real trial by fire and things may get quite ugly, although I hope I'm wrong.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
But the age factor was one of the reason mentioned why he wasn't considered.
Well they have to give SOME reason. This is as good or as silly as any other they could find. Difficult to give the real reason if it is unpalatable.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well they have to give SOME reason. This is as good or as silly as any other they could find. Difficult to give the real reason if it is unpalatable.
TBF they can't really say Yousuf had had the job before didn't show much captaincy ability. It would effect their top batsmen confidence if they came out and said the truth that he is pretty crap captain. Better off saying its age related then the truth that his crap captain. There is a reason why Younis took over the vice captaincy after Yousuf got a run at the captaincy, he was crap and they didn't want to go back to him.

Also i wouldn't believe the reglion thing too much Gelman. Seems just like a comment that was taken out of context. I doubt they would not selection someone as captain cus they were too religious. Especially in a country like Pakistan.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't leave the captaincy in the hands of someone who is only 25
The fact that his only 25 doesn't worry me, it more to do with the fact his only played 18 Tests. I think even Taibu played more Test before he got the captaincy of Zimbabwe.