Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good youth talent?

State Vice-Captain BlackCap_Fan's Avatar

Good youth talent?

Well, there's alot of people around here, and I figure that some of you must be involved in youth cricket, so I was wondering if anyone could talk about any good youth (U-19, or so) talent they've seen around, or heard of.

One guy I played against a few weeks ago was a Tauranga High batsman - Cain Williams. I'm not too sure of the spelling of his first name, but you get the idea. But seriously, this guy is phenomenal. I played against him a few years ago, and managed to pick him up early (that's the key with all batsmen, I s'pose) so I didn't really see his ability much. This time I didn't manage to get him early.

First ball, I bowled a great ball imo - on the off stump and swinging away - basically what you're taught to bowl as a FM bowler. I thought I might have got him again. But, instead, he went forward, and with a crack hit it on the up with a cover drive. Four. A hell of a shot. Next couple of deliveries, he left them. Then, I bowled a shorter one on middle. It wasn't short at all - about his waist height. He effortlessly pulled the ball wide of mid-on for four - just pivoted on one foot and creamed it. So, I tried to be a bit more careful, and managed to see off the next 2 deliveries.

Later on, he had progressed to 30 - odd and they had pretty much won the game. I was bowling what turned out to be the final over. First delivery, crack, a terrific on drive for four. Second ball, crack, another drive for four. With both of those, he didn't hit them hard - just timed them well and sent the ball whistling. With the third ball, it was a yorker on off. He simply shuffled around to offstump, and flicked it off his legs for six, to bring up his fifty and seal the match. It was some batting.

This guy is by far the best batsman I've ever seen at youth level, and I've been playing for more than 6 years now. I talked with my coach about him, and it turns out that my coach had seen him play before. He's been around youth cricket for upwards of two decades now, and he says that he's the best batsman he's seen in NZ since Martin Crowe. He also says he'll bet money that he'll be playing in the 2011 world cup. He also played against the Indian U-19s and scored runs against them as well. Ian smith has also given him praise IIRC. He was getting centuries by the time he was 13. Quite incredible, no?

And he's only 16.
    Batsman for Cricketweb Blue
    Stats:
    --------M-----I----N.O---Runs---Average---50's--100's--HS
    OD: -62---56----15-----1342----32.73-----10------0-------99 (seriously)
    FC: --40---77-----8------2067----29.96-----12------2-----120

RIP Fardin 1990-2006

International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    Sounds awesome, one of the guys i play with in school plays for ireland under 19's, being a bowler im always trying to think of ways to get him out, it never works!

bowl a good length, back of a length, yorkers, slower balls! pretty much everything i bowl he can play, easily at that! He scored his first school century last season against one of our schools greatest rivals, it came of 70 odd balls, absolutely fantastic knock!

(ps, sorry about the lack of full-stops, the button isnt working and exclamation mark is the only other button)
    Where's my money?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCap_Fan View Post
    Well, there's alot of people around here, and I figure that some of you must be involved in youth cricket, so I was wondering if anyone could talk about any good youth (U-19, or so) talent they've seen around, or heard of.

One guy I played against a few weeks ago was a Tauranga High batsman - Cain Williams. I'm not too sure of the spelling of his first name, but you get the idea. But seriously, this guy is phenomenal. I played against him a few years ago, and managed to pick him up early (that's the key with all batsmen, I s'pose) so I didn't really see his ability much. This time I didn't manage to get him early.

First ball, I bowled a great ball imo - on the off stump and swinging away - basically what you're taught to bowl as a FM bowler. I thought I might have got him again. But, instead, he went forward, and with a crack hit it on the up with a cover drive. Four. A hell of a shot. Next couple of deliveries, he left them. Then, I bowled a shorter one on middle. It wasn't short at all - about his waist height. He effortlessly pulled the ball wide of mid-on for four - just pivoted on one foot and creamed it. So, I tried to be a bit more careful, and managed to see off the next 2 deliveries.

Later on, he had progressed to 30 - odd and they had pretty much won the game. I was bowling what turned out to be the final over. First delivery, crack, a terrific on drive for four. Second ball, crack, another drive for four. With both of those, he didn't hit them hard - just timed them well and sent the ball whistling. With the third ball, it was a yorker on off. He simply shuffled around to offstump, and flicked it off his legs for six, to bring up his fifty and seal the match. It was some batting.

This guy is by far the best batsman I've ever seen at youth level, and I've been playing for more than 6 years now. I talked with my coach about him, and it turns out that my coach had seen him play before. He's been around youth cricket for upwards of two decades now, and he says that he's the best batsman he's seen in NZ since Martin Crowe. He also says he'll bet money that he'll be playing in the 2011 world cup. He also played against the Indian U-19s and scored runs against them as well. Ian smith has also given him praise IIRC. He was getting centuries by the time he was 13. Quite incredible, no?

And he's only 16.
    Kane Williamson, I think you mean.

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...cr%3DcountryNZ

State Vice-Captain BlackCap_Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Oh, that's the one.

At any rate, an awesome batsman.

Pinball Champion!
    Jon Jon Smuts - Graeme College batsman who just keeps scoring 100's.. I think someone mentioned him before on here.. Reckon he could be playing his first test for England in 6-7 years..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DCC_legend View Post
    Sounds awesome, one of the guys i play with in school plays for ireland under 19's, being a bowler im always trying to think of ways to get him out, it never works!

bowl a good length, back of a length, yorkers, slower balls! pretty much everything i bowl he can play, easily at that! He scored his first school century last season against one of our schools greatest rivals, it came of 70 odd balls, absolutely fantastic knock!

(ps, sorry about the lack of full-stops, the button isnt working and exclamation mark is the only other button)
    Ha ha get a new keyboard.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Jon Jon Smuts - Graeme College batsman who just keeps scoring 100's.. I think someone mentioned him before on here.. Reckon he could be playing his first test for England in 6-7 years..
    Never know, he might make it in South Africa.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCap_Fan View Post
    He was getting centuries by the time he was 13. Quite incredible, no?
    Having never seen the guy I couldnt possibly comment on him. However, scoring centuries at 13 or younger isnt particularly rare or special.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Having never seen the guy I couldnt possibly comment on him. However, scoring centuries at 13 or younger isnt particularly rare or special.
    Graeme Hick got one aged six IIRC... and Sam Northeast managed the small matter of eight in his final year at Prep School (13).
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Indeed. Tendulkar made his first first class hundred at age 14 I believe.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Gotta love the fact that his name is Kane. Perhaps his parents were WWF fans back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Gotta love the fact that his name is Kane. Perhaps his parents were WWF fans back in the day.
    Haha. Something tells me that Kane wasnt wrestling over 16 years ago

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    Haha. Something tells me that Kane wasnt wrestling over 16 years ago
    Well, he was a wrestling dentist eleven years ago.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Dr Isaac Yankem
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GoT_SpIn View Post
    Dr Isaac Yankem
    You just took it to far young man

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information