Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: First Chance Average?

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!

First Chance Average?

I've heard it talked about, but not sure what it is, anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    It is the single greatest method of analysis ever invented by man.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    It is the single greatest method of analysis ever invented by man.

Skull, for mine

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Basically, it is a batting average which is derived from the first chance (e.g. dropped catch, or LBW given not out which was out) that a batsman gives, rather than runs/dismissals. Also, if a batsman is given out when he was not out, then this is taken away from the denominator in the equation.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Right, doesn't really make much sense tbh, but anyway.......

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    It's pretty hard to fail to make sense of it...

If batsman gives chance, you'd normally expect it to be taken, yes?

What does the batsman do differently when a chance is caught and when it's dropped?

Answer: nothing. Nothing whatsoever.

So therefore, as far as an anaylsis of the batsman's ability is concerned, a dropped catch and a caught one are the same.

Now then, it needs to be understood - getting the end of a finger on something is NOT a dropped catch. No fielder has ever caught a cricket ball without at least getting it into the flesh of the fingers. Therefore, hitting a ball into a fielder's fingertips is NOT giving a chance.

With slight rephrasing, the same can be said of a batsman getting out (caught off a think nick\glove that the Umpire doesn't spot, pretty plumb lbw - not something HawkEye suggests is grazing the top of leg - clear catch turned-down by Third-Umpire becuase he's 99.99% not 100% certain about it, etc.) and being given not-out.

Equally, if a batsman clearly gets a shocker against him (lbw to a ball pitching a foot outside leg, caught behind when he missed it by daylight, etc.) then he does not deserve to go, no? Indeed he doesn't. So we credit him with a not-out. This also applies if his partner sells him a dummy with a suicidal run.

Common consent is that these things even each other out. Anyone who has taken any note whatsoever of the reality of the situation will realise that this is complete and utter bull****. Virtually every batsman has more good luck than bad in a career - but some are luckier than others (in my time watching Gilchrist was incredibly lucky for a time, Hayden has been very lucky for much of his career, Trescothick is surely the luckiest batsman EVER, and Sehwag, especially when facing Pakistan, has been lucky beyond the bounds of decency). Another common misperception: ah, I spot a link! They're all hard hitters! Well, yes, but so are most of today's batsmen. The truth of the matter is most of these dropped catches have been sitters at slip and in the deep, not balls slammed at close-in fielders.

So therefore, to get a fair interpretation of the performance of a batsmen, we simply count a chance as the same regardless of whether the fielding side \ Umpire was good enough to take it. And we don't blame batsmen who get unlucky for their misfortune.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So therefore, to get a fair interpretation of the performance of a batsmen, we simply count a chance as the same regardless of whether the fielding side \ Umpire was good enough to take it. And we don't blame batsmen who get unlucky for their misfortune.
    Is that the royal "we"?

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    has it been shown that first chance averages and real averages are about the same for most batsmen?

Nope, almost invariably a batsman's first-chance average will be lower (in the long-term, at least) than his scorebook one because, as I mentioned, almost all batsmen have more good luck than bad throughout a career. But things being what they are, there being something in the region of 56 batsmen in World cricket at one time (assuming all 8 Test nations were playing concurrantly and picking 7 batsmen), there is going to be one hell of a lot of variance in luck.

Therefore you need first-chance averages to get a picture of what's really happening when you take luck out of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Is that the royal "we"?
    The royal?

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The royal?
    As in "we are not amused".

Never mind, it wasn't very funny, which is why I made sure I posted it in Cricket Chat, not CH

Aha...

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    so that being the case if a batter were to have a first chance average very close to his regular average at the end of his career one would conclude that that batter was all class and less arse? as in he got through on his skill levels rather than luck.

Well... yes, I'd never really thought about that.

As I say, though - it's pretty unlikely, as any batsman with a reasonable-length career is pretty likely to end-up much luckier than not (this might change if we ever get a most-decisions-correct Umpiring system).

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Don't go there.

It's extremely subjective and thus has no basis for any meaning.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information