• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BREAKING NEWS: Hair removed from the Elite Panel

Slow Love™

International Captain
PY said:
That's what I meant in theory, Doctrove is far from perfect so why isn't he in the firing line at all? Maybe not banned but taken off the elite panel.

Is Hair off the elite panel or full-on banned from umpiring?
Off the elite panel, as far as I can tell. But Doctrove just hasn't had all the years of controversy, nor the alleged issues with particular sides that Hair has. It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't survive much longer, though. And just because it's Hair that just had this motion carried against him doesn't mean Doctrove isn't in the firing line.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What I read on BBCi was that he will never umpire any international again. I rememebr hearing a rumour a few weeks back that he might stand in the County Championship though..

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
A little shocked by this but am not surprised that this is how it ended up. Am surprised that WI and SA voted against him though.

As far as I understand, he is banned from the Elite Panel but not umptring International games. Is this correct??

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Eyes_Only said:
A little shocked by this but am not surprised that this is how it ended up. Am surprised that WI and SA voted against him though.

As far as I understand, he is banned from the Elite Panel but not umpitring International games. Is this correct??

No, he is banned from umpiring in all international games. He can umpire in domestic matches if the countries hire him.

And why would you be suprised regarding SA and WI? WI has been voting with the asian block for a couple years now (ever since BCCI told them they were going to help them get out of financial trouble), and SA has been voting with India for longer.

Slow Love™

International Captain
The funny thing about the whole bloc-voting thing is that, even though I'm far from naive enough to deny that financial deals and money will play a huge part in such negotiations, I can at least see a plausible case for the 7 member countries voting this way anyway, on Hair's performance.

As to England, Australia and NZ... er.... Can you really argue that Hair is an integral part of the umpiring elite after he's made such a complete arse of himself? Some people more cynical might assume that "opposing whatever the Asian bloc wants" may have played a major part. But don't mind me, I'm clearly talking like a crazy man. :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sad news, and it shows just who calls the shots when it comes to international cricket..

Whether Hair decided correctly or incorrectly to act on whatever he saw or didn't see at the Oval, this sets a horrible precedent in that very few umpires will ever come forward against a team, especially one from the subcontinent in the future if they expect any misdemeanours, for fear of how it will jeapordise their position on the elite panel.. Even if Hair was wrong in what he did, I'd be scared of coming forward as an umpire if I'd seen anything going on

SA

Banned
Very good decision taken by ICC memers really.I'm happy that career of most racist umpire ever is over now.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
Sad news, and it shows just who calls the shots when it comes to international cricket..
South Africa? They voted for it too ;)

Langeveldt said:
Whether Hair decided correctly or incorrectly to act on whatever he saw or didn't see at the Oval, this sets a horrible precedent in that very few umpires will ever come forward against a team, especially one from the subcontinent in the future if they expect any misdemeanours, for fear of how it will jeapordise their position on the elite panel.. Even if Hair was wrong in what he did, I'd be scared of coming forward as an umpire if I'd seen anything going on
I hope they really are scared to grandstand on the cricket field. I hope it does make umpires feel like their career is in jeopardy if they come out thinking their theatrics are more important than the game.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:

Yes, the whole situation sounds a little familiar doesn't it.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:

Oh please! Let's stop making him out to be a martyr. Hair was not banned for just The Oval fiasco. It's a culmination of wrong behavior that led to his downfall. No one has a problem with him doing his job. It's how he goes about doing it that makes him a bad umpire. Let's analyze some of his history shall we?

- The Murali incident: Hair has a right to call a suspect action, if he feels a bowler is throwing. However, as Slow Love pointed out before, the umpires had decided beforehand that they would refer any suspect action to the match referee and a decision would be made after the game. Hair, who IMO likes to be the center of attention, decided to create a scene and call Murali for throwing. Then, in his biography, Hair states that he would call Muralii again for a suspect action. This is after the ICC has cleared his action!! Whether Hair agreed or disagreed with ICC's decision on Murali, as an umpire employed by the ICC he must follow their rules and guidelines. By saying he would call Murali's action again, Hair was displaying his massive ego and hypocrisy.

-His numerous run-ins with players: It's been well documented that Hair is not the easiest bloke to get along with. During a match involving India, Hair boorishly warned Ganguly about dissent. Ganguly had pointed out to Hair that the Indian team had seen replays of his decision and they were incorrect. Hair told him "you are not supposed to watch replays...the Pakistani's did that and see what happened to them". What incredible arrogance! He also is reported to have said to Wasim Akram once that "your team is not going to appeal like a bunch of monkeys are they?" And mind you, he has had other run-ins with non-subcontinental players.

-Ovalgate: I firmly believe that any other umpire would've handled the situation differently. Any other umpire who merely suspected that tampering was going on and had no proof would've had a word with the Captain first. If the alleged tampering continued, then he would've taken some action. Also, no other umpire would've been so quick to award the forfeiture. We all know that BOTH teams were eventually ready to play, yet Hair would not change his mind. His ego would not let him. He was rightly admonished for this after the hearing by the head referee. That is why the ICC has now taken the power of awarding the forfeiture away from the umpire.

The best umpires are those that don't get noticed. Hair's problem, IMO, is that he loves the spotlight and courts controversy. He seems to have a martyr complex about him. That is why he's not a good umpire and deserved to be banned.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
whether it was about power politics or not, and it certainly was, the point is for once it was the right decision...

social

silentstriker said:
Well WI has lately been supporting India, considering India is helping them get out of financial trouble. This wasn't always the case. South African board has also (since they were let back in) supported mostly India.

Its about the money, really. If you want to make money, you better stay on BCCI's good side, or you aren't going to get enough matches with India. Australia and England are wealthy anyway, so they can afford to vote their own ways. Which, most times, tends to be against the Asian bloc. Their problem is that about ten years ago, the balance was fairly even because Bangladesh wasn't a full Test member, and West Indies tended to vote with England/Australia/New Zealand.

Now, the balance of power (with the addition of Bangladesh, and WI supporting Asian bloc) has shifted quite radically and they find themselves in the minority more often than not. You also saw this first hand when it came time to vote for the WC bid.

Unfortunately, most votes these days tend to take place via these political/racial lines. God forbid they actually vote based on their conscience...
Good summary - purely political decision

Anyway, by the sounds of it, Hair is going to be paid for the balance of his contract

social

Fusion said:
Oh please! Let's stop making him out to be a martyr. Hair was not banned for just The Oval fiasco. It's a culmination of wrong behavior that led to his downfall. No one has a problem with him doing his job. It's how he goes about doing it that makes him a bad umpire. Let's analyze some of his history shall we?

Sorry, but we've just seen Pakistan warned for the TENTH time in 16 months for ball tampering.

As if an umpire is ever going to take action against them after the disgraceful treatment handed out to Hair

As I've said before, I couldnt care less whether Hair ever umpires again or not BUT sacking a person for applying the rules correctly simply opens the game up to abuse

Matteh

Fusion said:

- The Murali incident: Hair has a right to call a suspect action, if he feels a bowler is throwing. However, as Slow Love pointed out before, the umpires had decided beforehand that they would refer any suspect action to the match referee and a decision would be made after the game. Hair, who IMO likes to be the center of attention, decided to create a scene and call Murali for throwing. Then, in his biography, Hair states that he would call Muralii again for a suspect action. This is after the ICC has cleared his action!! Whether Hair agreed or disagreed with ICC's decision on Murali, as an umpire employed by the ICC he must follow their rules and guidelines. By saying he would call Murali's action again, Hair was displaying his massive ego and hypocrisy.

-His numerous run-ins with players: It's been well documented that Hair is not the easiest bloke to get along with. During a match involving India, Hair boorishly warned Ganguly about dissent. Ganguly had pointed out to Hair that the Indian team had seen replays of his decision and they were incorrect. Hair told him "you are not supposed to watch replays...the Pakistani's did that and see what happened to them". What incredible arrogance! He also is reported to have said to Wasim Akram once that "your team is not going to appeal like a bunch of monkeys are they?" And mind you, he has had other run-ins with non-subcontinental players.

-Ovalgate: I firmly believe that any other umpire would've handled the situation differently. Any other umpire who merely suspected that tampering was going on and had no proof would've had a word with the Captain first. If the alleged tampering continued, then he would've taken some action. Also, no other umpire would've been so quick to award the forfeiture. We all know that BOTH teams were eventually ready to play, yet Hair would not change his mind. His ego would not let him. He was rightly admonished for this after the hearing by the head referee. That is why the ICC has now taken the power of awarding the forfeiture away from the umpire.

The best umpires are those that don't get noticed. Hair's problem, IMO, is that he loves the spotlight and courts controversy. He seems to have a martyr complex about him. That is why he's not a good umpire and deserved to be banned.
Quite frankly you're just simply wrong and utterly full of bias.

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain

Fusion said:

after hearing about him maybe he is an eediot but i don't think he loves the spotlight, well especially not now anyway :laugh: . i can tell you who does love the spotlight though... that kiwi umpire with all the big rocket signs and stuff. lets hope he sticks to 20 20 and ODIs!

Fusion

Global Moderator
Matteh said:
Quite frankly you're just simply wrong and utterly full of bias.
Care to point out where I was wrong and biased? Or is it more fun to just utter a one sentence rubbish line?

It funny how many forum members are (rightly) criticizing people from the sub continent for throwing around the "racist" charge at the drop of the hat. But of course the other side can call anyone criticizing Hair "biased" and that doesn't warrant any mention. 8-)

Matteh

Fusion said:
Care to point out where I was wrong and biased? Or is it more fun to just utter a one sentence rubbish line?

It funny how many forum members are (rightly) criticizing people from the sub continent for throwing around the "racist" charge at the drop of the hat. But of course the other side can call anyone criticizing Hair "biased" and that doesn't warrant any mention. 8-)
Being a racist is a criminal offensive. Being biased isn't. Poor comparision tbh.

If the Murali Incident was a problem, then he'd have been sacked then. If the numerous run-ins with players were a problem, he'd have been sacked because of that. He's been made a scapegoat for Ovalgate and been utterly brutalised for it.