• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib 2, Asif 1. Both banned

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Heh high protein intake without weight training = fat.
Clearly not in the case of Shoaib who was working out like a good un'-

"The Training Regime.

4 hours x gymnasium training including 2 body parts 5x week. Cardiovascular x 2 hours 40 minutes x running 20 x 100m sprints 5 x sets of shuttles (including 10 x 50m sprints per one shuttle)."

Also just read the PCB report, how many supplements was the guy taking?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
TT Boy said:
Clearly not in the case of Shoaib who was working out like a good un'-

"The Training Regime.

4 hours x gymnasium training including 2 body parts 5x week. Cardiovascular x 2 hours 40 minutes x running 20 x 100m sprints 5 x sets of shuttles (including 10 x 50m sprints per one shuttle)."

Also just read the PCB report, how many supplements was the guy taking?

Well no wonder. He was doing way too much cardio. You can't build up muscle if you do that much cardio.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Xuhaib said:
this is an excerpt from the report:

"A 31 year old gentleman, well oriented in time and space Shoaib Akhtar was born with two congenital deformities-Flat feet and hyper-extensive joints. Supreme athlete playing competitive international sport, Shoaib weighs 85 kgs and stands at 5 ft 11½ inches. His waist is 34, chest 44 and biceps 12½ inches.

Occasional smoker and a past history of infrequent alcohol consumption, with a penchant for western lifestyle, ***ually active Shoaib has an unremarkable medical history. There is history of bronchial asthma (atopy). "
haha whats ***ually active got to do with anything? :laugh:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Well no wonder. He was doing way too much cardio. You can't build up muscle if you do that much cardio.
I'll do just a little less cardio and my biceps are fifteen and half inches and my waist is smaller but hey that's me. I know guys who work out like mentalists and there bodies are still the same.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Langeveldt said:
haha whats ***ually active got to do with anything? :laugh:
Prob nothing, but Dennis Mitchell (Seppo 100m runner) blamed his high testosterone reading on having shagged his missus four times & drinking five beers the night before his test.

Still got two years.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
haha whats ***ually active got to do with anything?
its a sly hint to any interested ladies readin...

Unfortunate for pakistan cricket..they been having a bad time off late.. hope the kids learn somethin from this..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Xuhaib said:
Really feel sorry for Asif after hearing his side of the story.
His side is obviously why he had a lesser ban - no ban at all would've sent the wrong signals out entirely...

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
TT Boy said:
Why not, pretty simple procedure pissing into jar. Astonished that Shoaib has only best tested twice in his career, American sportsman are tested more frequently than that.
yea, but according to the nfl and the mlb standards, he would be ok even if he took that stuff.

adharcric

International Coach
Pakistan's pace attack in the World Cup would have been a real nightmare. Akhtar, Asif and Gul/Rana. Now, they won't be much of a force.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Try out Jamshed Ahmed and Anwar Ali.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sad day for supporters of Pakistan cricket, but full credit to the PCB for suspending the players for lengthy terms. We had all heard the suggestions that they would get off very lightly. Good on the Board for setting an example.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
adharcric said:
Pakistan's pace attack in the World Cup would have been a real nightmare. Akhtar, Asif and Gul/Rana. Now, they won't be much of a force.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Try out Jamshed Ahmed and Anwar Ali.
Nah, exposing the young'uns so early could have adverse affect in the future. I'd rather give up a chance at the World Cup than see those two exposed at the international level before they're ready.

adharcric

International Coach
nightprowler10 said:
Nah, exposing the young'uns so early could have adverse affect in the future. I'd rather give up a chance at the World Cup than see those two exposed at the international level before they're ready.
I wasn't suggesting that they should be called up into the World Cup side. They should at least be put in the A team and Pakistan should look to develop some good pace prospects because Akhtar is gone now and might not be a force ever again. Asif will probably return but they should use the one-year period to develop guys like Jamshed and Anwar at least at the A-level.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sad, but the lengths of the bans seem pretty appropriate to me. I've got no qualms.

Thought Shoaib looked a bit manbooby in the pics as he and Asif headed home after the test results, myself. Disappointed at the sloppiness of Akhtar's testimony, it seems kinda apparent that he knew what he was doing.

FRAZ

International Captain
Shoaib should have been given a year ban MAX and I guess Asif's ban should be reduced a bit cuz the guy has been a toy in the hands of some people (My assumption) . His Knowledge is limited IMHO .

Dravid

International Captain
Fusion said:
The somewhat lame excuse from the panel on why Asif was treated differently (from the report):

" There is some doubt whether he was even handed over the WADA 2006 list of prohibited substances and WADA Athlete Guide prior to the departure of the team for the England tour in August 2006. "
Does he not have common sense?

biased indian

International Coach
silentstriker said:
This is why they banned him for two years.

He was taking supplements given to him by 'friends?' And he is unable to tell the commission which supplements these are?

Please, no wonder he got the harsher sentence.
he should have taken it from his mother then he would have got only one year :laugh: :laugh:

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
jack_sparrow said:
yea, but according to the nfl and the mlb standards, he would be ok even if he took that stuff.
Nandrolone is banned in NFL since 1990 and cannot be bought legally in US, most recent case of Shawn Merriman who got suspended for 4 games for it. 4 games may not seem too much by cricket standards, but NFL season is only 16 games, also repeat offenders get harsher bans.

P.S Shoaib told he took some supplements called "T-Bomb", I dont know what that is but if I was a player I would check twice before touching anything with a name like that.