• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Test captains

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The winning percentage is very close. However, the losing percentage is not. Mark Taylor lost 26%, whereas Lloyd lost 16.2%.

Therefore, Lloyd, though its very very close.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor just. If I was a few years older it may have been Lloyd as he helped revolutionise the game.

bagapath

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
Lloyd.

Imran vs Jardine would have been a just final.
imran is definitely not one of the two best captains ever. fans from the sub continent respect him for giving pakistan some spine to become the second best team in the 80s. but in the history of test cricket this is too minor a factor. he doesnt deserve to be in the finals.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
bagapath said:
imran is definitely not one of the two best captains ever. fans from the sub continent respect him for giving pakistan some spine to become the second best team in the 80s. but in the history of test cricket this is too minor a factor. he doesnt deserve to be in the finals.
Actually fans of subcontinent take a very objective stance on this whole captaincy issue, they dont supoport Imran just because he was one of them. They have similar appreciation for Folks like Allan Border and I am pretty sure that many of them would pick Border over Taylor anyday (and that ofcourse includes me)

They consider a lot of things into accounts which includes :-

1. Identify, pick and groom right talents and make them world class performers
2. Build a world class team out of these talents,
3. Achieve success all over the world
4. Leave a great team for the future
5. Lead by Example
6. On Field tactics

And from what I have heard, watched and read, Imran seemed to be pretty good in 1-5 and not so bad in 6.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor is the best i've seen but i get the feeling Lloyd was better, so them man from Guyana for me

bagapath

International Captain
Sanz said:
Actually fans of subcontinent take a very objective stance on this whole captaincy issue, they dont supoport Imran just because he was one of them. They have similar appreciation for Folks like Allan Border and I am pretty sure that many of them would pick Border over Taylor anyday (and that ofcourse includes me)

They consider a lot of things into accounts which includes :-

1. Identify, pick and groom right talents and make them world class performers
2. Build a world class team out of these talents,
3. Achieve success all over the world
4. Leave a great team for the future
5. Lead by Example
6. On Field tactics

And from what I have heard, watched and read, Imran seemed to be pretty good in 1-5 and not so bad in 6.
i agree sanz. just that there are a few other captains who were better than imran in these. thats why i feel it is fitting that he is not in the finals.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mark Taylor

Test: 50 Matches, 26 Wins, 13 Losses. Winning Percentage: 52%

Mark Taylor: 11 votes
Clive Lloyd: 10 votes

So Mark Taylor has been voted as the greatest ever Test Captain by the public of Cricket Web. There were some tough battles along the way but he made it through and deserved the result that he got. Should this be finished up now or would you like to do playoffs for 3rd and 4th, 5th and 6th and 7th and 8th?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
bagapath said:
i agree sanz. just that there are a few other captains who were better than imran in these. thats why i feel it is fitting that he is not in the finals.
Of course, I myself voted against him in his battle vs. Taylor.