• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BREAKING NEWS : Hair wrote to ICC offering to resign

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If I was Hair, I'd want out as well.

The decision could've been reached days ago.

Unfortunately, the Icc are trying to reach a compromise where the umpires are supported AND Pakistan are appeased.

Do they really need someone to fly from Sri Lanka to chair a panel - no

It's now a farcical situation.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I reckon International cricket could totally collapse and in ten years time we'll be watching Lashings play Zimbabwe at an empty Lords, with Desmond Tutu and Kofi Annan umpiring.. :laugh:

Scaly piscine

social said:
If I was Hair, I'd want out as well.

The decision could've been reached days ago.

Unfortunately, the Icc are trying to reach a compromise where the umpires are supported AND Pakistan are appeased.

Do they really need someone to fly from Sri Lanka to chair a panel - no

It's now a farcical situation.
Yep, since Pakistan are bigger they'll get appeased whether it's right or wrong - politics at its best.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
I reckon International cricket could totally collapse and in ten years time we'll be watching Lashings play Zimbabwe at an empty Lords, with Desmond Tutu and Kofi Annan umpiring.. :laugh:
Or we can get rid of umpires like Hair and the game will continue to grow and prosper.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Yep, since Pakistan are bigger they'll get appeased whether it's right or wrong - politics at its best.
I thought Australia are bigger than Pakistan.:D

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Offering your resignation for a price is not blackmail, it's simply a somewhat dubious offer and it's the sort of thing that happens in politics (as this whole thing is now) all the time.
Justification and more justification.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Scaly piscine said:
If that was the case, Hair wouldn't have been umpiring in a Pak game to begin with. Pakistan have complained about him numerous times. And it's very interesting to note your reaction to this story. Since Hair is coming out looking like an ***, you're shouting how right and wrong doesn't matter because it's politics. But if Pakistan are accused without evidence, you have no sympathy. I'm sure there's no bias there.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Rumour has it that this solution was put to Hair by Doug Cowie and he accepted it. Hair was then asked to put the request in writing, which he did. He's now being made to look like an insane blackmailing fraudster.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Sure, what a martyr Darrell is. What next, Doug Cowie was forced by Ehsan Mani to approach Hair.

And who forced Ehsan Mani (President Musharraf ??)

Fusion

Global Moderator
Mike Atherton: "It's hard to see how Darrell Hair can umpire at any future international match. They have made his position untenable now. To imagine he can umpire down the line in international matches is hard to see. It seems extraordinary when you consider that Inzamam-ul-Haq has been charged on two counts - one of ball-tampering, for which nobody can find any evidence, and secondly for bringing the game into disrepute on the back of the first charge. So poor old Inzy finds himself under two charges, but Darrell Hair, after these extraordinary letters, finds himself under no charge whatsoever "

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/engvpak/content/current/story/257790.html

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
Scaly piscine said:
Expect more of this sort of behaviour from the ICC, Hair will be a target because he's dispensable. It's difficult for the ICC to effectively brand Pakistan cheats because of the ramifications it would have on cricket with the power the Asian boards have and as Pakistan have shown already they most certainly not above blackmail. Also the ICC have the CT coming up which is where they get most of their money from.
they are not cheats. it is obvious. :dry: quit naively trying to imply that, indirectly, already.

Scaly piscine said:
Since the ICC have most if not all of the evidence from Pakistan's alleged ball tampering and the ICC's love of the easy way out it doesn't take a genius to work out which way their political fudge is going to lead us.
What evidence? What should have been done? If pakistan were to be punished and penalized severely for tampering, then england should have been aswell. More or less, anyone who reverses it should too.

Scaly piscine

Fusion said:
If that was the case, Hair wouldn't have been umpiring in a Pak game to begin with. Pakistan have complained about him numerous times. And it's very interesting to note your reaction to this story. Since Hair is coming out looking like an ***, you're shouting how right and wrong doesn't matter because it's politics. But if Pakistan are accused without evidence, you have no sympathy. I'm sure there's no bias there.
Which hasn't been shown yet, so of course there's no bias there.

There was never been any threat in place if the ICC appointed Hair as umpire for a specific game - so there was no problem for the ICC to just carry on as normal.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Who would have thought, Darell Hair who until this morning was an honest, strong, fearless individual who couldn't be budged the other day to re-start the match, would take the pen right out of his pocket to pen down this once in a lifetime offer.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Sanz said:
Who would have thought, Darell Hair who until this morning was an honest, strong, fearless individual who couldn't be budged the other day to re-start the match, would take the pen right out of his pocket to pen down this once in a lifetime offer.
And then use the pen to write a second autobiography about it and sell some more books I'm sure.

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
Isn't it very common for employees to get a golden handshake when they are forced to leave the job? I'm not that shocked by the 500k to be honest.