• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC-Asia Split - Would you really care?

A split between the ICC and Asia, would you care?

• Yes - A split would damage the long term future of cricket

Votes: 39 73.6%
  • No - We don't need them, and they don't need us

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

Rajeev

U19 12th Man
Money will stop this split (if there is ever one)

But some writers think otherwise

'Racial profiling' of Asian cricketers?

Hats off to Inzamam. His bulky frame carries resolve, which is much stronger than the collective will of all his critics. By playing, Inzamam would have only submitted to the whims of a 'diabolical' Hair and his backers in the International Cricket Council.

It belies reason that the Pakistan skipper wasn't aware of the implications of not taking the field. That will be insulting the collective judgment of the Pakistani team, and one of the sharpest brains in world cricket, coach Bob Woolmer.

But under the circumstances, they were left with no option but to 'surrender' with dignity. For them, a 0-3 defeat was far more honourable than a face saving win in a lost series, as it came protesting against what many believe to be the 'collective racial profiling' of Asian cricketers, especially the Pakistanis.

Now that there are talks of punishing Inzamam while Hair may once again escape censure is something which only ICC can come up with. But an unreasonable stand this time will only aggravate the already volcanic situation.

Agonising Asia

For ages, Asia has been at the receiving end of the collective might of the 'originals' - England and Australia. It was more than apparent about a decade ago when no efforts were left unturned to prevent Jagmohan Dalmiya from becoming the chairman of the apex body. That Dalmiya succeeded eventually showed what the collective might of the Asians could do.

Unfortunately, not much effort was made in the subsequent years to give Asia their due and power equations once again drifted back to Australia and England. So quickly, that it erased any memory of a change.

Bowling controversies

Be it reverse swing or doosra, it is the Asians who have always been at the receiving end.

Instead of appreciating the nuances of the art perfected by the likes of Waqar, Wasim, Saqlain and Murali, repeated attempts have been made to degrade their every possible achievement.

Don Bradman had called Wasim the best left-arm pacer he had ever seen. A keen observer of cricketing developments for decades, the Australian legend would have surely noticed if there was something amiss. He would probably have reserved his judgment on Wasim in that case.

Still, in Australia and England, there was always a needle of suspicion when Akram held the ball. His heroics invited more skepticism than admiration even as for Asians, he remained an ultimate bowler.

Very recently, England did the improbable in winning Ashes thanks to some terrific reverse swing thrown at the Australians by Simon Jones.

However, his 18 wickets in four Tests at an astonishing average of 21 raised no outcry. One wonders what would have been the reaction if Umar Gul or Asif were involved in such a feat against Aussies.

Excessive Appealing

It looks ugly when Asians' repeated appeals to the umpires fall on deaf ears, even if its a straight out. These instances often change the course of matches, as it happened in Eng-Pak third Test when Pietersen's clear edge to the keeper was given not out.

Conversely, how many times Warne and McGrath have been cautioned for showing utter disbelief and indulging in outrageous antics when an appeal has been rejected.

Their antics, sledging, and downright abuses gets the label of 'tough Aussie', while Asians tend to lose 'cash as well as match' for much lesser offenses. Even Viru can testify to that.

Painful Pattern

The strategy is simple. Frustrate the Asians by some awful decisions and when they protest, throw the rulebook on their face.

However, the trouble is, even Asians are not helping their cause. An Asian match referee, few years back, justified the loud and abrasive behaviour of the Australians on the field by pointing out to the cultural differences between them and the Asians.

This kind of nonsense must end immediately. Tours by teams like India and Pakistan are the real money-spinners and it is time these countries must get the respect their cricketing pedigree deserves.

If they do feel chained by the very thought of playing under the supervision of a particular umpire, there should be no harm in giving them a panel of mutually agreeable umpires and not some 'diabolical' one.

Time to unite

It was interesting to read Ajit Wadekar's observation on the issue that 'the root of the controversy lay in Pakistan not coming out after tea interval and play'.

We must guard against this kind of reactions.

By playing, even under protest, Pakistan would have only submitted to the grave injustice which came sans any evidence. By playing on without protesting the way they did, they would have only given in to the race and region specific profiling which is against the very spirit cricket is ingrained in.

Even if Pakistan had won the Test, where they held the upper hand throughout, it would have been a tainted victory.

Instead, Inzamam's action has given Pakistan a high moral ground which Asians must make full use of. And thank him for it.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Fusion said:
I find this talk of "we don't need them" and "we don't think alike" very disturbing (from either side). In the recent past of U.S History, there was a big movement to segregate whites from blacks ("separate but equal"). Some of the same arguments of "our culture/values/way of life is different" were used. You don't run away from problems, you try to resolve them. If you think you can live happily ever after by simply blocking yourself off from the other side, you'd be sadly mistaken. A split like this would be disastrous.
Yes, you are exactly right. And also, for all this talk of differences that can't be reconciled, in cricket terms the Asian bloc and the England, Australia, etc seem to have actually done pretty well for nearly 55 years. I can't help feeling that perhaps people are more influenced by events outside cricket when it comes to some opinions on this subject.

cricketboy29

International Regular
Don't mix Politics and Sport. Like the Ancient Greeks did. Even if they were fighting a war at the time, everything would be abandoned for the Olympics.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rajeev said:
It's crap like this that makes me feel sometimes that I just cannot be bothered with cricket - basically, that article is "you're all racists", and it's nothing shy of pathetic. There is a big, big part of me that wants to say screw you. Take your bats and balls and go home - then we won't have to put up with the ridiculous conspiracy theories and over-reactions every time someone is given out, or a match is lost. Then people might start focussing on the real reasons they get beat rather than blaming a scapegoat.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Rajeev said:
Money will stop this split (if there is ever one)

But some writers think otherwise

Hats off to Inzamam. His bulky frame carries resolve, which is much stronger than the collective will of all his critics. By playing, Inzamam would have only submitted to the whims of a 'diabolical' Hair and his backers in the International Cricket Council.

It belies reason that the Pakistan skipper wasn't aware of the implications of not taking the field. That will be insulting the collective judgment of the Pakistani team, and one of the sharpest brains in world cricket, coach Bob Woolmer.
ETC.
Utter rubbish and victim mentality.
Has anyone ever considered that the doosra and reverse swing have had aspects of illegality that needed to be addressed rather than it all being a conspiricy against Asian teams.

Ive been holding off saying this as I know I get a lot of crap for it (but in light of all the mud being slung), but there is a strong feeling with a lot of administrators and players (said privately not publicly) that a number of Asian teams, especially Pakistan, have been allowed to get away with 'murder' as any attempt to address an issue leads to this kind of political and social demonstration.

Its generally considered better to quitely ignore Asian (Pak especially) misdermeaners than deal with any fallout that results. People are frightened to treat Asian teams as they would the others, as administering the laws is not worth the hassles and issues that would arise.

It is a general perception that, If anything Asian teams get away with more and complain louder than the others.

You really thing the Doosra would have been allowed if a guy from NZ invented it?

From people I speak to, its easier to give 'them' what they want than deal with the issue

I dont expect people to understand or agree and they are probably going to say Im sleighting their nation but believe me it happens.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
cricketboy29 said:
Don't mix Politics and Sport. Like the Ancient Greeks did. Even if they were fighting a war at the time, everything would be abandoned for the Olympics.
But Politics and Sport are intertwined.. You cannot play sport and totally ignore politics or a political situation..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
It's crap like this that makes me feel sometimes that I just cannot be bothered with cricket - basically, that article is "you're all racists", and it's nothing shy of pathetic. There is a big, big part of me that wants to say screw you. Take your bats and balls and go home - then we won't have to put up with the ridiculous conspiracy theories and over-reactions every time someone is given out, or a match is lost. Then people might start focussing on the real reasons they get beat rather than blaming a scapegoat.
This is just another of rookie writers that have mushroomed in India. They started with the electronic media but now you see them even on some mainline newspapers.

The electronic media makes soap opera type stories out of everything creating demons where none may exist and pandering to the most basic emotions. Unfortunately the new-fan too is not a serious thinker and this allows them to use there own head even less.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Goughy said:
Utter rubbish and victim mentality.
Has anyone ever considered that the doosra and reverse swing have had aspects of illegality that needed to be addressed rather than it all being a conspiricy against Asian teams.

Ive been holding off saying this as I know I get a lot of crap for it (but in light of all the mud being slung), but there is a strong feeling with a lot of administrators and players (said privately not publicly) that a number of Asian teams, especially Pakistan, have been allowed to get away with 'murder' as any attempt to address an issue leads to this kind of political and social demonstration.

Its generally considered better to quitely ignore Asian (Pak especially) misdermeaners than deal with any fallout that results. People are frightened to treat Asian teams as they would the others, as administering the laws is not worth the hassles and issues that would arise.

It is a general perception that, If anything Asian teams get away with more and complain louder than the others.

You really thing the Doosra would have been allowed if a guy from NZ invented it?

From people I speak to, its easier to give 'them' what they want than deal with the issue

I dont expect people to understand or agree and they are probably going to say Im sleighting their nation but believe me it happens.

This post is as rubbish and disgusting as the article you are ranting about. It's very interesting to me to observe the thoughts that have come out from some people because of this incident. It saddens me to know that in this age and day, people are capable of these types of believes. And I am referring to extremes on BOTH sides. Shamefull.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
This post is as rubbish and disgusting as the article you are ranting about. It's very interesting to me to observe the thoughts that have come out from some people because of this incident. It saddens me to know that in this age and day, people are capable of these types of believes. And I am referring to extremes on BOTH sides. Shamefull.
Well Im not really ranting and the above mentioned perception has existed for a long time. This fallout from an umpire changing a ball he suspected had been doctored with, kind off highlights the reason why umpires and administrators have been shy to mention things.

Too much politics and not enough sport.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think there's definitely a solid point there. I hate to say it, but does anyone seriously believe that if the decision made the other day had been the other way around there would have been such a scene? Let's ignore for the moment whether or not the call would have been made, and consider the reaction. Hussein can say whatever he wants now, but I very much doubt if any team outside of the subcontinent would walk out of a game over an umpiring decision, accuse another umpire of racism because of decisions made or threaten to pull out of a whole series if their captain was banned. Other nations would be every bit as likely to tamper with the ball or cheat in any other way, but there wouldn't be that sort of reaction if they were punished.

Hair's certainly someone who loves the spotlight, but there's a real problem with umpires other than him right now being afraid to make decisions because of the fallout. Imagine for a second that Pakistan DID tamper with the ball the other day. If Hair hadn't been umpiring, would they have been called on it? Very unlikely IMO.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SJS said:
This is just another of rookie writers that have mushroomed in India. They started with the electronic media but now you see them even on some mainline newspapers.

The electronic media makes soap opera type stories out of everything creating demons where none may exist and pandering to the most basic emotions. Unfortunately the new-fan too is not a serious thinker and this allows them to use there own head even less.
Yup. That's what the bit of my head not saying 'screw you' is saying. But the other bit's shouting louder.

pasag

RTDAS
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think there's definitely a solid point there. I hate to say it, but does anyone seriously believe that if the decision made the other day had been the other way around there would have been such a scene? Let's ignore for the moment whether or not the call would have been made, and consider the reaction. Hussein can say whatever he wants now, but I very much doubt if any team outside of the subcontinent would walk out of a game over an umpiring decision, accuse another umpire of racism because of decisions made or threaten to pull out of a whole series if their captain was banned. Other nations would be every bit as likely to tamper with the ball or cheat in any other way, but there wouldn't be that sort of reaction if they were punished.

Hair's certainly someone who loves the spotlight, but there's a real problem with umpires other than him right now being afraid to make decisions because of the fallout. Imagine for a second that Pakistan DID tamper with the ball the other day. If Hair hadn't been umpiring, would they have been called on it? Very unlikely IMO.
Excellent points, couldn't agree more.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
FaaipDeOiad said:

You know, I am coming around to your point of view. I think Pakistan were targetted unfairly by one bad umpire, but because of the hoopla that was caused, people will be less likely to call legitimate offenses in the future - and thats a shame.

cricketboy29

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:

I think charges hit a little deeper with the Pakistani and Indian teams because they have already been involved in match-fixing scandals, and that was a huge blow to the team. To the fans and everywhere, so now I think thereactions are much much larger because they believe that their honour is at stake.

Goughy, I must say though, you saying that if an NZ player invented the doosra. It would not have been allowed is exactly what the other side is saying. I don't think this sort of mudslinging will be productive or constructive in any way.

I'm with you on that one SS.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
cricketboy29 said:
Goughy, I must say though, you saying that if an NZ player invented the doosra. It would not have been allowed is exactly what the other side is saying. I don't think this sort of mudslinging will be productive or constructive in any way.
You're probably right. I have fallen into the trap of making a statement that there is no way of proving. It is dangerous to use hypotheticals. Ill take that point back.

However, I seriously doubt the legitimacy of the doosra and I am surprised nothing has been done about it.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
However, I seriously doubt the legitimacy of the doosra and I am surprised nothing has been done about it.
Oh something HAS been done. ICC have decided to legalise illegal deliveries :dry:

cricketboy29

International Regular
While I really don't know of it's legality or not. i do think it's brillant when Murali or Harby is bowling, and the ball suddenly goes the wrong way, and the batsman looks utterly dumbfounded. :D

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
LOL @ "Well at least players wouldn't have to tour the sub-continent."

If only Gaia and Captain Player were running the ICC. Maybe we'd all get along.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
cricketboy29 said:
While I really don't know of it's legality or not. i do think it's brillant when Murali or Harby is bowling, and the ball suddenly goes the wrong way, and the batsman looks utterly dumbfounded. :D
Yes. When bowled with control it is one of the most difficult deliveries to play.