Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Cricket from the stands

  1. #1
    State Captain Tomm NCCC's Avatar
    Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Papplewick, Nottingham
    Posts
    1,565

    Cricket from the stands

    How often do you get to go to a ground and watch a game? Who do you go and watch? Just wondering is all
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

    The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

    Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

    RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

  2. #2
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,812
    I rarely see a cricket match from the stands as I live in the US. However, I travelled down to WI to see a cricket match. The atomsphere was good, but I found I enjoy watching cricket on the television more, at home with friends or at a bar or something.

  3. #3
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    I watch cricket in England (Somerset usually) and South Africa (Mercedes Warriors)

    I'm a sports photographer and although I don't get paid for doing cricket, I'm usually sat in front of the stands behind my camera.. If there's cricket on that isn't Twenty20, I don't care whos playing, I'll watch/snap it.. I'll go with whoever wants to go, but I don't need company to watch cricket
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  4. #4
    U19 12th Man Rajeev's Avatar
    Flash Poker Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt

    I'm a sports photographer and although I don't get paid for doing cricket, I'm usually sat in front of the stands behind my camera.. If there's cricket on that isn't Twenty20, I don't care whos playing, I'll watch/snap it.. I'll go with whoever wants to go, but I don't need company to watch cricket
    ..what sport do you usually cover


  5. #5
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    12,826
    Thanks to those bunch of ******s in cricket Australia i won't be able to see a test
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

  6. #6
    International Coach adharcric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    10,898
    Never, unless I'm not in the XI for my club and I go to watch them play.
    Next year was going to change that, but WC plans look bleaker now.

  7. #7
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,687
    Quote Originally Posted by GoT_SpIn
    Thanks to those bunch of ******s in cricket Australia i won't be able to see a test
    Explain?

    How is the excessive demand for the tickets their fault?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  8. #8
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Explain?

    How is the excessive demand for the tickets their fault?
    It was hardly excessive demand. They expected such demand, but didn't have measures in place to deal with it. Thus, a lot of people who put a great deal of time and effort into getting tickets were unable to get them.

  9. #9
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,687
    Whether they expected such demand or not is irrelevant.

    When there are x thousand people wanting y thousand tickets and x is a lot bigger than y, there will always be a lot of people who don't get tickets - that isn't CA's fault.

  10. #10
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajeev
    ..what sport do you usually cover
    Football (soccer) mainly, done some rugby and motor racing too

  11. #11
    U19 Cricketer no1_gangsta_786's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Souf east london
    Posts
    485
    I have never been to a match but thats all going to change. I got my tickets today for the Pakistan XI v International XI twenty20 charity match on the 10th of July! I am looking forward to some big hitting and hopefully a Pakistan win!!
    RIP BOB WOOLMER

  12. #12
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Whether they expected such demand or not is irrelevant.

    When there are x thousand people wanting y thousand tickets and x is a lot bigger than y, there will always be a lot of people who don't get tickets - that isn't CA's fault.
    You're missing the point. Everyone knew there would be people who would miss out. The problem we have is that the systems wasn't set up to reward those who put the most effort into getting tickets, the people who were on the phone all day and on the internet all day trying their best. Instead, it was just a matter of luck as to whether someone could get through or not. It was a poorly planned mess and a lot of people are justifiably aggrieved at not getting tickets.

  13. #13
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,118
    When I'm not playing myself, I'll happily watch other games of cricket. Live right near a park, or go watch my old school side play. Supposed to do some recruiting for our club too, so that sort of gives me an incentive. Great way to spend a hungover afternoon - head to the cricket with a mate and talk tripe.

    Got some pretty amazing seats for the Boxing Day Test last year, and usually go to at least one day of the Test. Haven't gone to a One Day match for the past three years - too many 16 year olds trying to be drunken yobbos with some sort of wit.

  14. #14
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    You're missing the point. Everyone knew there would be people who would miss out. The problem we have is that the systems wasn't set up to reward those who put the most effort into getting tickets, the people who were on the phone all day and on the internet all day trying their best. Instead, it was just a matter of luck as to whether someone could get through or not. It was a poorly planned mess and a lot of people are justifiably aggrieved at not getting tickets.
    How do you create a system that isn't just luck then?

    Because that same sort of thing happens all the time for major sporting events.

    However if you are on the phone/net all day you have more chance of getting through than Joe Bloggs who only tries once.

    But the bottom line is it's not CA's fault that such a system doesn't exist.

  15. #15
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    However if you are on the phone/net all day you have more chance of getting through than Joe Bloggs who only tries once.
    ...which was clearly not the case. It isn't a case of whether a suitable system exists, even though it does. The problem was simply the lack of planning by Cricket Australia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 04:44 PM
  2. Replies: 1876
    Last Post: 23-09-2005, 04:21 PM
  3. Latest Press Release
    By James in forum General
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 23-03-2005, 04:25 AM
  4. Zimbabwean Cricket: Time for The End
    By Neil Pickup in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 16-05-2004, 10:44 AM
  5. The Twenty20 Cup in England
    By PY in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 22-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •