Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cricket from the stands

Squirrel Soccer Champion!

Cricket from the stands

How often do you get to go to a ground and watch a game? Who do you go and watch? Just wondering is all
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I rarely see a cricket match from the stands as I live in the US. However, I travelled down to WI to see a cricket match. The atomsphere was good, but I found I enjoy watching cricket on the television more, at home with friends or at a bar or something.

Pinball Champion!
    I watch cricket in England (Somerset usually) and South Africa (Mercedes Warriors)

I'm a sports photographer and although I don't get paid for doing cricket, I'm usually sat in front of the stands behind my camera.. If there's cricket on that isn't Twenty20, I don't care whos playing, I'll watch/snap it.. I'll go with whoever wants to go, but I don't need company to watch cricket
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Flash Poker Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt

I'm a sports photographer and although I don't get paid for doing cricket, I'm usually sat in front of the stands behind my camera.. If there's cricket on that isn't Twenty20, I don't care whos playing, I'll watch/snap it.. I'll go with whoever wants to go, but I don't need company to watch cricket
    ..what sport do you usually cover

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Thanks to those bunch of ******s in cricket Australia i won't be able to see a test
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Never, unless I'm not in the XI for my club and I go to watch them play.
    Next year was going to change that, but WC plans look bleaker now.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoT_SpIn
    Thanks to those bunch of ******s in cricket Australia i won't be able to see a test
    Explain?

How is the excessive demand for the tickets their fault?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Explain?

How is the excessive demand for the tickets their fault?
    It was hardly excessive demand. They expected such demand, but didn't have measures in place to deal with it. Thus, a lot of people who put a great deal of time and effort into getting tickets were unable to get them.

Whether they expected such demand or not is irrelevant.

When there are x thousand people wanting y thousand tickets and x is a lot bigger than y, there will always be a lot of people who don't get tickets - that isn't CA's fault.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajeev
    ..what sport do you usually cover
    Football (soccer) mainly, done some rugby and motor racing too

I have never been to a match but thats all going to change. I got my tickets today for the Pakistan XI v International XI twenty20 charity match on the 10th of July! I am looking forward to some big hitting and hopefully a Pakistan win!!
    RIP BOB WOOLMER

Whether they expected such demand or not is irrelevant.

When there are x thousand people wanting y thousand tickets and x is a lot bigger than y, there will always be a lot of people who don't get tickets - that isn't CA's fault.
    You're missing the point. Everyone knew there would be people who would miss out. The problem we have is that the systems wasn't set up to reward those who put the most effort into getting tickets, the people who were on the phone all day and on the internet all day trying their best. Instead, it was just a matter of luck as to whether someone could get through or not. It was a poorly planned mess and a lot of people are justifiably aggrieved at not getting tickets.

When I'm not playing myself, I'll happily watch other games of cricket. Live right near a park, or go watch my old school side play. Supposed to do some recruiting for our club too, so that sort of gives me an incentive. Great way to spend a hungover afternoon - head to the cricket with a mate and talk tripe.

Got some pretty amazing seats for the Boxing Day Test last year, and usually go to at least one day of the Test. Haven't gone to a One Day match for the past three years - too many 16 year olds trying to be drunken yobbos with some sort of wit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    You're missing the point. Everyone knew there would be people who would miss out. The problem we have is that the systems wasn't set up to reward those who put the most effort into getting tickets, the people who were on the phone all day and on the internet all day trying their best. Instead, it was just a matter of luck as to whether someone could get through or not. It was a poorly planned mess and a lot of people are justifiably aggrieved at not getting tickets.
    How do you create a system that isn't just luck then?

Because that same sort of thing happens all the time for major sporting events.

However if you are on the phone/net all day you have more chance of getting through than Joe Bloggs who only tries once.

But the bottom line is it's not CA's fault that such a system doesn't exist.

However if you are on the phone/net all day you have more chance of getting through than Joe Bloggs who only tries once.
    ...which was clearly not the case. It isn't a case of whether a suitable system exists, even though it does. The problem was simply the lack of planning by Cricket Australia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information