• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most disliked cricketer of all time

Most disliked player?

• Graeme Smith

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Geoffrey Boycott

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Hansie Cronje

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Kevin Pietersen

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Douglas Jardine

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Ian Chapple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sourav Ganguly

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Ian Chappell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aamir Sohail

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 18 24.3%

• Total voters

Langeveldt

Soutie
Im interested to see peoples most disliked player.. For whatever reason, it could be their on/off field attitude, irritating performances, gamesmanship, whatever..

And please, on behalf of everyone who reads the forum, try to keep the opinions sane, and keep any abuse at home :D

I've come up with a shortlist which should cover most bases!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Jardine will get a few votes I suspect, not from me though.
Absolutely. If the vote was for who I think should be the most disliked then I would vote for Jardine, but as it is for who I dislike then I voted differently.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I don't particularly hate the older ones, I wasn't around then, didn't know them, and to me it's purely history.

So that is why my vote goes to my personally most hated cricketer, Grame Smith. Though it could easily have been Cronje - South Africans not doing too well!

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Sarfraz Nawaz should be on this list, he hasn't done anything apart from **** people off in Pakistan since he retired.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:
I don't particularly hate the older ones, I wasn't around then, didn't know them, and to me it's purely history.

So that is why my vote goes to my personally most hated cricketer, Grame Smith. Though it could easily have been Cronje - South Africans not doing too well!
Well, of course not - you're English, aren't you?
English cricket fans don't like South African cricketers - basic fact of life.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Richard said:
I can stand most South Africans perfectly well, but Smith opens his trap too much for my liking, and his arrogance annoys the **** out of me to say the least.

Thinking about it, Ponting does run him close for his reaction when Jones was at hospital, and his ability to whinge at anything, as well as his inability to take a joke (only learned about that recently).

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I do. Smith, Dippenaar, Rudolph and Nel are among my favourite cricketers. (Nel only because of the hilarity of his on pitch "mad dog", as my mum puts it, aggression. The other three because I genuinely like them)

archie mac

International Coach
Jardine or as they called him in Aust. Sardine

'Leave our flies alone'

'Their the only friends you have'

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
I also like Nel, one minute a snarling lion the next beaming like the Cheshire Cat :) . Jonty is another favourite.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cronje for me. It may be wrong to speak ill of the dead, but the man was an avaricious hypocrite who sold the integrity of his sport & his country for 30 pieces of silver. Or a leather jacket or whatever it was.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Im an SA fan and I don't like Smith..

Although I agree with you, generally people not assosciated with SA cricket generally dislike our supposedly boring playing style.. After all, Klusener, Symmo, Jonty, AAD were all naff.. With the exception of Indians, they seem to quite like SA for some reason