• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali's 1000 International Wickets

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Muttiah Muralitharan has become the first player to record 1000 international wickets. He's got 593 in Tests and 411 in ODIs. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I used to be one of his fans but since his finger wagging I dont think I can appreciate him anymore.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
His got nothing on Murali, well maybe a few kilos :p
Even though Warne is obviously the better bowler *lights fire*, that was a great call

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Yeah amazing accomplishment. I can't think of another cricketer in history with more skewering stats considering (1) outside of Sri Lanka he's not that special, (2) over one fifth of his test wickets have come against Bangalesh and Zimbabwe. But even if his stats make him look much better than he is, to do this your clearly one of the ten best bowlers ever.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Francis said:
Yeah amazing accomplishment. I can't think of another cricketer in history with more skewering stats considering (1) outside of Sri Lanka he's not that special, (2) over one fifth of his test wickets have come against Bangalesh and Zimbabwe. But even if his stats make him look much better than he is, to do this your clearly one of the ten best bowlers ever.
Keep adding fire :laugh:

C_C

International Captain
outside of Sri Lanka he's not that special,
If he isnt 'that special' outside SL ( taking more wickets/match than Warne with just over 1 point worse average while having nowhere the pace attack Warne has to make his job easier) then no spinner is 'that special'.

Its a wonderful accomplishment from the greatest spinner the game has ever known.

Slifer

International Captain
Yes and i wood very much like to see how Warne would do if he didnt have Mcgrath at the other end. I find it funny that in one post u castigate Kirsten for criticizing Warne but here u r doing the same against his main rival Murali. What is ur beef with Murali ne way?

Slifer

International Captain
C_C said:
If he isnt 'that special' outside SL ( taking more wickets/match than Warne with just over 1 point worse average while having nowhere the pace attack Warne has to make his job easier) then no spinner is 'that special'.

Its a wonderful accomplishment from the greatest spinner the game has ever known.
Amen to that people just need to admit that they have some sort of a personal bias against Murali and jus move on. The role he plays in the Sri Lankan team (IMO) is much like that of another cricket legend R Hadlee. he is a lone wolf (Murali) and has had to carry the bowling fortunes of his country and judging by stats and just plain seeing the man in action he is doin a very good job. Shame on those of u who consider it an insult to compare him to the oh so flawless shane warne

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Meh.

Blackwell is clearly the best spinner ever.

Or maybe his publicist is for convincing the selectors that he's worthy of going on tour with England?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
dinu23 said:
murali is the best spinner there is and will be. there u go!
His figures speak for themselves. Regrettably, there are many who wish to add qualifications.

As far as his achievement of bagging 1000 international victims, that's absolutely staggering by any set of criteria.

(as for "and will be" - well, we don't know that).