• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When Will I be Famous?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Met Graeme Thorpe after one of his net sessions before he returned during the 2001 Ashes.
Met Nehemiah Perry, Ricardo Powell, Reon King and Wavell Hinds on the boundary back in the day. Sledged Stuart MacGill on the boundary in 2003.
Interviewed Sir Richard Hadlee and Geoff Allott, but not in person.
Met Tishan Maraj. Saw Curtly Ambrose at the beach once, but didn't get a chance to talk to him.
Met Phil Simmons when he was coaching the T&T team.

Those are all I remember at the moment.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Well, this pleasant thread has turned ugly and boring.

EDIT: Until Liam just got it back on track.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Met Graeme Thorpe after one of his net sessions before he returned during the 2001 Ashes.
Really? Funny, Graham Thorpe never mentioned this brother of his in his book...
:p

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nah Smith's actually an extremely nice bloke, very approachable and very confidant..

He just makes an **** out of himself when he knows he's in the spotlight..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
It's never neccessary.
You I'd hope can take it as playful banter between two long-standing forum-members.
Hence no official warning.
Richard said:
With me and that fool - of course, he's never insulted most people on the forum countless times, has he?
Two wongs don't make a wright.
Richard said:
No, he shouldn't.
It was not his fault. If he were told to go in, he goes in.
They cannot tell him to go in then play in a way his injury does not allow him to play.
Well, they can, but he doesn't have to do it.
Richard said:
I'm passionate in defence of anyone I feel has unfair criticism.
Like Atherton with EXD.
IMO Rawl Lewis is unfairly criticized (by me too). Discuss.

Blaze

Banned
Richard said:
I don't think anyone can seriously enjoy banter, though... except serious masichists like Smith.
And Nel... It depends on your personality, some sportsmen thrive on the opposition crowds giving them crap, some don't.

I would suggest Kallis doesn't enjoy it, but he is still smart enough to realise that they are only giving him crap because they think he is a decent player.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
Really? Funny, Graham Thorpe never mentioned this brother of his in his book...
:p
I've heard he's ashamed. I've also heard it was Graeme who got out to the Walsh slower-ball-full-toss in the 2000 series. He never recovered.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hence no official warning.
What, so I'd seriously get a warning for calling someone Brainiac (sarcastically) if I wasn't acquainted positively with them? Good god, IMO that's going OTT.
Two wongs don't make a wright.
Fifteen don't, either.
However I hardly see that I should be told-off for doing so when I've seen no evidence whatsoever of him getting any punishment despite, as far as I can see, upsetting pretty much everyone on the forum (except the ultra-tolerant lot like DB and archie) in his time.
Well, they can, but he doesn't have to do it.
So see how they react when he refuses to go in?
IMO Rawl Lewis is unfairly criticized (by me too). Discuss.
I know too little about poor Rawl to contribute meaningfully to the discussion.
Please feel free to defend him against your own unfair criticism.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
And Nel... It depends on your personality, some sportsmen thrive on the opposition crowds giving them crap, some don't.

I would suggest Kallis doesn't enjoy it, but he is still smart enough to realise that they are only giving him crap because they think he is a decent player.
Oh, yes indeed (and quite agree about Nel - about the only way to hurt his confidence would be to tell him he's the greatest bowler ever from what I can see).
But I hardly see how the crap is deserved, even if it doesn't affect the player (or even if it does affect him positively).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
archie mac said:
Imho I don't believe he has reached the Waugh/Taylor league yet, let alone Mr Simpson
Oh, no, not yet, but I didn't say he was yet, did I?
I said he was well on-track to be, and you can hardly deny that in the last year he's been magnificent, I can hardly think he's dropped a catch.

Blaze

Banned
Richard said:
But I hardly see how the crap is deserved, even if it doesn't affect the player (or even if it does affect him positively).
It isn't, but can you ever see it stopping?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
last time, wasn't he going to be the best batsman since Bradman?
No, he had a miniscule chance of being.
That now appears unlikely, though still more likely than with pretty much anyone else going around.
Anyhow, slip-catching is hardly as difficult as batting.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
What, so I'd seriously get a warning for calling someone Brainiac (sarcastically) if I wasn't acquainted positively with them? Good god, IMO that's going OTT.
Depends on what kind of a mood I'm in and what's the West Indies score. :mellow:
Richard said:
Fifteen don't, either.
However I hardly see that I should be told-off for doing so when I've seen no evidence whatsoever of him getting any punishment despite, as far as I can see, upsetting pretty much everyone on the forum (except the ultra-tolerant lot like DB and archie) in his time.
Sorry, I'll tell him the same proverb next time. I just tend to semi-ignore the Piscine-Richard deathmatches. I really should stop that...
Richard said:
So see how they react when he refuses to go in?
I meant they can ask him to play a certain way regardless of his injury, but he doesn't have to. It wasn't an anti-Kallis statement.
Richard said:
I know too little about poor Rawl to contribute meaningfully to the discussion.
Please feel free to defend him against your own
Soon you shall know. The world will know!

archie mac

International Coach
Richard said:
Oh, no, not yet, but I didn't say he was yet, did I?
I said he was well on-track to be, and you can hardly deny that in the last year he's been magnificent, I can hardly think he's dropped a catch.

No you didn't, just want to make sure we are on the same page:)

Yes has huge hands and soft hands as well, must use a good cream:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Depends on what kind of a mood I'm in and what's the West Indies score. :mellow:
Does that apply to James (New Zealand), Neil (England) and Corey (Australia) too?
Sorry, I'll tell him the same proverb next time. I just tend to semi-ignore the Piscine-Richard deathmatches. I really should stop that...
Why? You've ignored Rich-tec ones for about the last 100,000,000 years.
I meant they can ask him to play a certain way regardless of his injury, but he doesn't have to. It wasn't an anti-Kallis statement.
They can ask him but they can't expect him to be able to do it.
Soon you shall know. The world will know!
I see he has been recalled... we wait with baited breath to your reaction.