• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pullin also wrote one of the first full length biographies of a cricketer, of Alfred Shaw in 1902.
Really? I knew he had written a History of Yorkshire Cricket but a biography of Shaw? Could you give the full name of the book since I cant seem t find it at my usual sources.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Really? I knew he had written a History of Yorkshire Cricket but a biography of Shaw? Could you give the full name of the book since I cant seem t find it at my usual sources.
Okay found it. Its really shown as written by Shaw himself but "as recorded by A W Pulin"

stumpski

International Captain
That's an excellent article you've posted today Martin - not a review of the 2009 Wisden - which is what I was expecting - but a potted history of the almanack. Great stuff. How often do you read them though, and do you think it's possible to read a copy right through? I have 1961 and 1970 by my bedside, for reasons which now escape me.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
ok, just looking at a few books online.

These caught my eye. All are 1st ed, most signed. They are all available pretty cheap.

Anyone have any opinions on them? Good, crap, waste of space, required reading etc?

The Bradman Era- Bill O'Reilly and Jack Egan
The Hand That Bowled Bradman: Memories of a Professional Cricketer- Bill Andrews
The Golden Age of Cricket 1890-1914- Frith, David
Sort of a Cricket Person- Swanton, Ernest William
Cricket Crossfire- Miller, Keith
Cricket Indulgence: An Anthology Of The Cricket Writings Of Chris Harte- Harding, D M
Behind the Shades- Fletcher, Duncan
Just My Story- Hutton,Len
The Greatest Test Teams- Graveney, Tom
From Larwood to Lillee- Bailey, Trevor; Trueman, Fred

Oh and if Im going to spend a few dollars more

The Story of Cricket's Early Years (1st ed. SIGNED AND DATED) - John Major

Anyone reviewed it?

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
The Frith book is basically a collection of pictures and captions. It's well worth picking up if you see it at reasonable price but there isn't going to be much reading involved.

Just wondering what I've done with my copy now. :dry:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's an excellent article you've posted today Martin - not a review of the 2009 Wisden - which is what I was expecting - but a potted history of the almanack. Great stuff. How often do you read them though, and do you think it's possible to read a copy right through? I have 1961 and 1970 by my bedside, for reasons which now escape me.
I read the post WW2 ones quite a lot especially the 50's 60's and 70's - the older ones I am ashamed to say I usually leave on the shelf 'cos the damn things are so fragile

I've only once read a copy right through and that was the 1864 (a facsimile I hasten to add) in order to write that article - it didn't take long!

I can't imagine reading a later one - though Walter Robins, by all accounts, habitually read them from start to finish

archie mac

International Coach
Im not going to take it though Im looking at a Neville Cardus autobiography.

Is that a recommended book?

EDIT- do you need the details of the seller or do you already have them?
Yes Please:)

ok, just looking at a few books online.

These caught my eye. All are 1st ed, most signed. They are all available pretty cheap.

Anyone have any opinions on them? Good, crap, waste of space, required reading etc?

The Bradman Era- Bill O'Reilly and Jack Egan
The Hand That Bowled Bradman: Memories of a Professional Cricketer- Bill Andrews
The Golden Age of Cricket 1890-1914- Frith, David
Sort of a Cricket Person- Swanton, Ernest William
Cricket Crossfire- Miller, Keith
Cricket Indulgence: An Anthology Of The Cricket Writings Of Chris Harte- Harding, D M
Behind the Shades- Fletcher, Duncan
Just My Story- Hutton,Len
The Greatest Test Teams- Graveney, Tom
From Larwood to Lillee- Bailey, Trevor; Trueman, Fred

The Story of Cricket's Early Years (1st ed. SIGNED AND DATED) - John Major

Anyone reviewed it?
The Bradman Era- Bill O'Reilly and Jack Egan I enjoyed this, although it is just text from the video of the same name
The Hand That Bowled Bradman: Memories of a Professional Cricketer- Bill Andrews One that I have coming from England but still waiting for it to arrive:@
The Golden Age of Cricket 1890-1914- Frith, David Get this, great book
Sort of a Cricket Person- Swanton, Ernest William OK, 3 stars I should think
Cricket Crossfire- Miller, Keith Not the greatest writer, very basic, but I enjoyed it
Cricket Indulgence: An Anthology Of The Cricket Writings Of Chris Harte- Harding, D M I have not read this one, but Chris Harte is a good writer
Behind the Shades- Fletcher, Duncan I have not read that ,but we have a review on the site
Just My Story- Hutton,Len 3 stars i should think
The Greatest Test Teams- Graveney, Tom I read this many years ago, and really enjoyed it, nothing great though
From Larwood to Lillee- Bailey, Trevor; Trueman, Fred I have not read this one

The Story of Cricket's Early Years (1st ed. SIGNED AND DATED) - John Major we have a review on the site:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I read the post WW2 ones quite a lot especially the 50's 60's and 70's - the older ones I am ashamed to say I usually leave on the shelf 'cos the damn things are so fragile

I've only once read a copy right through and that was the 1864 (a facsimile I hasten to add) in order to write that article - it didn't take long!

I can't imagine reading a later one - though Walter Robins, by all accounts, habitually read them from start to finish
I find it impossible to read through them. There was a time, in my younger days when I would take up a book and not get out of bed/chair/toilet whatever till I had finished it cover to cover. Somehow, being for over two decades in corporate management and reading a page at a time and at best reading sharp crisp executive reports, one loses the knack. Not being a collector like Martin here, therefore, I have not gone around collecting Wisden's. I do have a complete set of the Wisden anthologies though which are easier to read though, i daresay, I haven't read even half of each :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

Hey Martin. I recall you saying there are 28 Thomson books in all. Mind putting up a list. Please :)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey Martin. I recall you saying there are 28 Thomson books in all. Mind putting up a list. Please :)
:-O Did I say 28!!! - If I did I must have been under the influence of something - unless I had read somewhere he wrote 28 in all as he didn't just write about cricket - anyway I think it's more like half that - when i get home I'll get a list out of Padwick and post it

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
:-O Did I say 28!!! - If I did I must have been under the influence of something - unless I had read somewhere he wrote 28 in all as he didn't just write about cricket - anyway I think it's more like half that - when i get home I'll get a list out of Padwick and post it
Well I have 17 and I dont know if there are any more.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting seeing a number of people mention Frith. Im not a fan of his writing style at all. It always seems so disjointed.

The man knows how to pick interesting topics though.
You are spot on.

He is not a great read. I have quite a few of his books and I use them more for reference since its so difficult to read him.

His best book is Bodyline Autopsy and that too because it is the most exhaustive research on the subject and not because it is a great piece of writing

stumpski

International Captain
I find it impossible to read through them. There was a time, in my younger days when I would take up a book and not get out of bed/chair/toilet whatever till I had finished it cover to cover. Somehow, being for over two decades in corporate management and reading a page at a time and at best reading sharp crisp executive reports, one loses the knack. Not being a collector like Martin here, therefore, I have not gone around collecting Wisden's. I do have a complete set of the Wisden anthologies though which are easier to read though, i daresay, I haven't read even half of each :)

This is what I always read in a Wisden, I imagine most would do something similar.

Notes by the Editor, and all the features; the Five Cricketers of the Year.

County reports

Tour and Test reports

Surrey and Kent match reports (home games, I don't tend to seek out the away fixtures)

Obituaries

Books

Cricket in the news, or whatever it's called

I can't remember the last time I read the Laws; and it would take a long time to read all the county and ODI reports. I do tend to check the Index of Unusual Occurrences though, and go to the matches mentioned. :)