• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket book novice here. Shockingly I do not own any cricket books and my library is pretty vast though limited (ranges really from despot individuals, books about the Fatherland and Mother Russia to the celluloid dream which is cinema). However I want to add some cricket books to my library and I do not know where to start, just browsing Amazon and 'everything' seems to be superficial fluff about cricketers who have not even finished their careers yet.

Specifically the books I’m interested in are one’s which deal with South Africa’s cricketing exodus through apartheid (Caught Behind: Race and Politics in Springbok Cricket, sounds good). The team of the 60s and early 70s and their annihilation of Australia in 1970. Or even South African cricket in more general terms, from the 19th century to the 20th.

Cheers

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
TT Boy said:
Cricket book novice here. Shockingly I do not own any cricket books and my library is pretty vast though limited (ranges really from despot individuals, books about the Fatherland and Mother Russia to the celluloid dream which is cinema). However I want to add some cricket books to my library and I do not know where to start, just browsing Amazon and 'everything' seems to be superficial fluff about cricketers who have not even finished their careers yet.

Specifically the books I’m interested in are one’s which deal with South Africa’s cricketing exodus through apartheid (Caught Behind: Race and Politics in Springbok Cricket, sounds good). The team of the 60s and early 70s and their annihilation of Australia in 1970. Or even South African cricket in more general terms, from the 19th century to the 20th.

Cheers
A tough one mate, as this is not my field of expertise (SA cricket) I did read a book called England's Youngest Captain by Jonty Winch. Which deals with the First Test Matches in South Africa. Very good read.

MW Luckin wrote a couple of histories of Sth Afr cricket Vol 1 was 1876-1915 -Vol 2 was 1919-1927. There was one by Eric Litchfield - Cricket Grand Slam which deals with the 1970 tour

A great book about Sth Afr cricket which we have reviewed in the cricket book section is Basil D'Oliverira by Peter Oborne

stumpski

International Captain
Hi Archie, good to see you here. I'm 'Tailender' from Extra-cover.com by the way.

Don't know if it's been mentioned here before, but one I recommend is "Fifty Incredible Cricket Matches " by Patrick Murphy, from around 1989 I think. Shouldn't be too hard to find though.Currently reading Brian Close's book "I Don't Bruise easily." I liked the bit where he says he had to open against the West Indies in 1976 because Bob Woolmer had his career ahead of him and they didn't want him getting injured!

archie mac

International Coach
stumpski said:
Hi Archie, good to see you here. I'm 'Tailender' from Extra-cover.com by the way.

Don't know if it's been mentioned here before, but one I recommend is "Fifty Incredible Cricket Matches " by Patrick Murphy, from around 1989 I think. Shouldn't be too hard to find though.Currently reading Brian Close's book "I Don't Bruise easily." I liked the bit where he says he had to open against the West Indies in 1976 because Bob Woolmer had his career ahead of him and they didn't want him getting injured!
G'day mate, why did you use a different name? Or are you trying to confuse me :-O

There is a new Brian Close book out (or maybe just recent) I wonder what it is like?

I love reading about Brian Close maybe the toughest man ever to strap on a pair of pads (not that he needed them):D

stumpski

International Captain
Like the Devil, I am known by many names. :-O

Actually I think there was someone here by that name already, I find there usually is. 'Stumpy' would have been my first choice but that was taken, and in my previous incarnation here I was 'scrumpy.'

The Close book I'm reading was written shortly before he retired, so I don't know what the new one is padded out with - his account of the Yorkshre Wars of the 1980s I suppose.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
A tough one mate, as this is not my field of expertise (SA cricket) I did read a book called England's Youngest Captain by Jonty Winch. Which deals with the First Test Matches in South Africa. Very good read.

MW Luckin wrote a couple of histories of Sth Afr cricket Vol 1 was 1876-1915 -Vol 2 was 1919-1927. There was one by Eric Litchfield - Cricket Grand Slam which deals with the 1970 tour

A great book about Sth Afr cricket which we have reviewed in the cricket book section is Basil D'Oliverira by Peter Oborne
Cheers, I’ll look into them.

archie mac

International Coach
stumpski said:
Like the Devil, I am known by many names. :-O

Actually I think there was someone here by that name already, I find there usually is. 'Stumpy' would have been my first choice but that was taken, and in my previous incarnation here I was 'scrumpy.'

The Close book I'm reading was written shortly before he retired, so I don't know what the new one is padded out with - his account of the Yorkshre Wars of the 1980s I suppose.

No doubt, I think it might have been written by Alan Hill. I read one of his books a bio of Laker and did not think too much of it, but I have another one of his about Verity so will have to give him another chance.

Anyway there is a new review up, it is a trip back to 1955 Batsman's Paradise I have three book reviews with the proof reader, all modern ones. Remember if you would like to submit a review we would love to hear from you :)

FRAZ

International Captain
@Archie Mac I got a question for ya bro . I asked it here before too but no body could answer it .. So Can you tell me What is the history of cricket in Germany ?
I remember some one telling me a story (Dunno If fake or true ) That Hitlor banned it after a bizzare incident .

archie mac

International Coach
FRAZ said:
@Archie Mac I got a question for ya bro . I asked it here before too but no body could answer it .. So Can you tell me What is the history of cricket in Germany ?
I remember some one telling me a story (Dunno If fake or true ) That Hitlor banned it after a bizzare incident .
I will have a quick look into it mate and let you know :happy:

I remember one story about German cricket: There were a couple of Englishman from Lords in Germany and they had heard that a player had been punched in the face for dropping a catch.

They spoke to the head of German cricket and said 'we don't think that sort of behaviour will encourage young Germans to play cricket'

The head of German cricket responded 'yes, but you must understand it was a very easy catch'

stumpski

International Captain
I don't suppose anyone knows where I can pick up a copy of the ACS Yearbook? I usually buy mine at the Oval but they don't seem to be stocking it this year. More and more of the book space is being given over to cricket equipment and 'merchandise.' :dry:

It's not exactly what you'd call 'reading matter' - more a set of stats and career figures for domestic and international players in each country.

a massive zebra

International Captain
FRAZ said:
There was a brief book on the history of German cricket written by James Coldham in 1983 that you might find of interest. Do a google search.

bagapath

International Captain
Can someone help me in finding "10 for 66 and all that" by Arthur Mailey and "Farewell to Cricket" by Don Bradman? I live in India and have been looking for these books in our bookshops. They have no idea how to get them. If someone can tell me a reliable on-line source I would love to buy them. Thanks.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
bagapath said:
Can someone help me in finding "10 for 66 and all that" by Arthur Mailey and "Farewell to Cricket" by Don Bradman? I live in India and have been looking for these books in our bookshops. They have no idea how to get them. If someone can tell me a reliable on-line source I would love to buy them. Thanks.
Roger Page in Melbourne Aust. has or can get both of those books, at a fair price :)

His Telephone No. is 03 9435 6332 Not sure what No. you have to dial for Aust?

stumpski

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Call 01529 306272, email sales@acscricket.com or write to ACS Sales, Blue Bell House, 2-4 Main Street, Scredington, Sleaford, Lincs NG34 0AE to order it directly from the ACS.

Thanks for that AMZ! I'm considering joining the ACS as I'm a bit of a Statto in my spare time - I'd be interested to hear from anyone on here who is a member and whether they think it was worth the sub.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:

Unless I have £170 (Cheapest price on Amazon market place) hanging around, Litchfield's book will have to wait for now.