• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As I said, I am delighted with the books because they are worth every cent. The condition is okay. As good as over hundred year old library copies can be expected to be.

Actually they were owned by someone till at least 1919 (from the signatures and dates from the original owner and then given to a library.

I am really thrilled at so many action photographs of so many players from the Golden Age and beyond but equally disappointed that such a treasure is unavailable to the public at large due to some 'silly' copyright stuff.

You dont reprint the stuff for over a hundred years, millions are denied even a glimpse of what these cricketers' strokes actually looked like and we talk of copyright. What copyright is infringed? Who is losing money? There is no money being made from these pictures anyway.

Cricket lovers need to see for them selves how WG, Ranji, Trumper, Spooner, Noble and Denton (amongst many others) bated. How similar (and trust me in some respects more elegant and graceful) they looked than their modern counterparts. I remember someone on this forum mentioning , on seeing Trumper's famous jumping out picture (or was it Pataudi Sr.) that this could not have been anything but posed. We;; they did bat like that, many of them and the jumping out to drive did have a kind of 'spring' about it - a panther like quality.

Fascinating.

Posed!!!!! What scurrilous nonsense!! :@

You will undoubtedly enjoy "Great Cricketers" by George W Beldam - less a biography than a celebration of Beldam Snr's life and works. It is one of those beautifully produced folio sized editions and there is no standard edition (just a limited edition and a very limited edition)

The publisher and at least one other dealer have copies of both available to my certain knowledge - let me know if your interested amd I will make some enquiries about the price

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have a number of bits and pieces that I think even better. When, in December, I am finally back home, I promise to rummage through my archive and send you copies of a few never-published nuggets.

Alack, no. Would you mind beaming them off again?
Do you know how much (in size) can your email account take by way of attachments ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
According to the message perennially displayed beneath my inbox, I am currently using 369 MB (5%) of my 6962 MB. Size should not be a problem.
Okay I will try again though at times it is the size of individual attachments it will take. I will try with one page at a time in one e mail.

archie mac

International Coach
Posed!!!!! What scurrilous nonsense!! :@

You will undoubtedly enjoy "Great Cricketers" by George W Beldam - less a biography than a celebration of Beldam Snr's life and works. It is one of those beautifully produced folio sized editions and there is no standard edition (just a limited edition and a very limited edition)

The publisher and at least one other dealer have copies of both available to my certain knowledge - let me know if your interested amd I will make some enquiries about the price
I would be interested as well mate:)

I spotted the book once, it was a 10/10 (or 5 stars) but I only had a quick peruse (law speak)

fredfertang

Law speak you will have to take up with Mr Zaremba Archie - its quite beyond a poor fool like me

I shall enquire of the price of Mr Beldam's magnum opus and let you know

fredfertang

500 "ordinary" ones and 48 leather bound slipcased all singing all dancing ones

or possibly 452 and 48 - but definitely 48 of the latter

wisden18

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
500 "ordinary" ones and 48 leather bound slipcased all singing all dancing ones

or possibly 452 and 48 - but definitely 48 of the latter
Ah yes, but of those 48, 8 special copies were produced for the Beldam family and the publishers, with an additional photograph in:unsure:

Have you got a copy of the deluxe version?

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Daniel Vettori's book "Daniel Vettori - Turning Point, co written with Richard Boock" is due out on the 1st August in New Zealand.
Will post a review when time permits.

stumpski

International Captain
And I'll do one for 'Grovel!' at some point as well. One of the most talked about books on this thread - it should have a review at least.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Ok thats enough :)
Now check and tell me if you got the first page.
Nope. Which is odd, because the estimable Patrick Ferriday has sent me many a scan without trouble. Perhaps I should open a Hotmail account and see if I have more luck there?