• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will make a big impact in 2006?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I hope Sarwan makes a big impact as well as Bravo and Ramdin. I expect Warne and Lee to do well along with Hussey, Flintoff, Akhtar, Kaneria and a few others.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Peter Fulton already looks set at international level...he smacked one wide of Jayawardene the other day and he took an outstanding catch...but Fulton probably would have lasted the game if that catch had been missed.

I'd certainly watch out for Fulton & I reckon Brendon McCullum is going to turn it on as well.

SouthernMan

Cricket Spectator
Tim said:
I'd certainly watch out for Fulton & I reckon Brendon McCullum is going to turn it on as well.
I was just about to mention Brendon, I think that this up coming year could be the year that he stamps his mark on the international scene. I expect him to score a few test hundreds and leave his nervous ninties phase behind and to become a rock behind the stumps.

Blaze

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
Anyone got any Sri Lankans or are they all growing old together without any replacements?
That guy who made a century against NZ the other day looks the goods. Only 20 years old as well.

From a NZ perspective - Bond and McCullum are the ones that spring to mind.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
That guy who made a century against NZ the other day looks the goods. Only 20 years old as well.
Tharanga? It's his second ODI century in only about 13 matches too.

Blaze

Banned
Voltman said:

That's the one. He got the MOTM award and Gavin Larsen struggled to interview him because his english is very limited.

Nice story about him in the paper, I think it said something about the tsunami destroying his house and so Sangakarra took him under his wing and gave him gear etc.

Looks like a talented kid. Surprised the Sri Lankans on this forum haven't mentioned him much.

Ming

State 12th Man
Brendon McCullum. This will be the year where he makes a name for himself as a class ODI number 3 and a Test 6.

SouthernMan

Cricket Spectator
No it won't be. He will be staying down the order till atleast after the world cup. So it will be the 07/08 season before he becomes a regular fixture at the top of the order.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Hoggard is a good honest solid contributor, but he's the weakest by some distance in the four of Flintoff, Harmison, Hoggard and Simon Jones. He always get the best conditions to bowl, if there's nothing in the pitch for him he hardly bowls. Compare this with Harmison and Flintoff who get bowled into the ground regardless (look at the last Test - Hoggard bowls 23 overs, Flintoff bowls 36 and Harmison 43 or when Lara scored his 400* - Hoggard 18 overs, Flintoff 35, Harmison 37).

Anderson has far more potential and if he was bowling like he did when he first came onto the international scene I'd have him ahead of Hoggard (unless we're playing on helpful NZ pitches). If Plunkett plays it allows England to play someone like Panesar and retain their normal balance in the lower order.
yea i agree scal, wont be surprised if either Plunks of Jimmy gets the nod over Hoggard by the end of this yea.

Ming

State 12th Man
SouthernMan said:
No it won't be. He will be staying down the order till atleast after the world cup. So it will be the 07/08 season before he becomes a regular fixture at the top of the order.
Who knows?

adharcric

International Coach
INDIA: Gautam Gambhir and Yuvraj Singh
PAKISTAN: Kamran Akmal and Shoaib Akhtar
SRI LANKA: Upul Tharanga and Kumar Sangakarra
AUSTRALIA: Damien Martyn and Brett Lee
NEW ZEALAND: Peter Fulton and Shane Bond
SOUTH AFRICA: Ashwell Prince and Andre Nel
ENGLAND: Andrew Flintoff and Steve Harmison
WEST INDIES: Dinesh Ramdin and Dwayne Bravo

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I have a feeling Afridi will try to settle into his original role of leg-spinner and part-time batsman. I really would like to see him work on his bowling more and improve on it, he's got some good deliveries.

On topic:

Hussey
Akmal
Kaneria
Mohammad Asif
Dravid
Bravo
Bell
Udal :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Voltman said:
Is he the future then, because I'd say SL need some young batsmen fairly soon or they will be in trouble.

Craig

World Traveller
Same and I was tempted to mention him (Botha).

He does look like he does have something about him.