• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest leg spinner of all time...

Vote on the best leg spin bowler in cricket history

• Shane Warne

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • Mushtaq Ahmed

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Terry Jenner

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Anil Kumble

• Subhash Gupte

• Clarrie Grimmett

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • B S Chandrashekar

• Richie Benaud

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Bill O'Reilly

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Abdul Qadir

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
cpr said:
My dear man, exactly what i was going to ask!
haha so was I, i guess all us Lancastrians think a like :happy: , but going back to the thread topic its Warne.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
For me it was really between three Australians and an Indian. Orielly, Grimmett, Warne and Gupte and then down to two australians and here it was a real tough one.

I voted O'rielly but hovered for long over Grimmett. I am amazed to see ZERO votes for him. Clearly Bradman counts for a lot although by all accounts, including O'rielly's Bradman had a bias against Grimmett. :)

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I actually think Shane Warne (the poster), whatever his annoying qualities, has a point here. It seems pretty stupid to go into a perfectly legitimate thread and vote for someone because you think it's the person that the thread creator doesn't want to win.

Anyway, my vote goes to Warne. Unlike some here, there's no doubt in my mind that the 90s produced the two greatest spin bowlers of all time. Which one is superior is up for debate, but when you bring it down to leg-spinners, Warne gets my vote.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
warne is the best leg-spinner i have seen....grimmett, o'reilly have impressive records and reputations though....

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
For me it was really between three Australians and an Indian. Orielly, Grimmett, Warne and Gupte and then down to two australians and here it was a real tough one.

I voted O'rielly but hovered for long over Grimmett. I am amazed to see ZERO votes for him. Clearly Bradman counts for a lot although by all accounts, including O'rielly's Bradman had a bias against Grimmett. :)
Yes I have read comments to that effect, but it seems strange that Bradman would have included Grimmett in his all time Test side if he did not rate him. Making amends?

twctopcat

International Regular
archie mac said:
Yes I have read comments to that effect, but it seems strange that Bradman would have included Grimmett in his all time Test side if he did not rate him. Making amends?
They were obviously both pretty handy... :p . I went for O'Reilly despite only seeing him a fraction compared to the amount i have seen Warne. However i don't really know that much about cricket and by all accounts O'Reilly dominated batsmen at a time of which that didn't really happen a great deal. Warne against India has always kept me back as well.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Even when England made 903 at The Oval in 1938, he (O'Reilly) bowled 85 overs and finished with figures of three for 178 :cool:

Going for Warne though.

Indian god

Cricket Spectator
I think personally shane warne , leg-spin is hard 2 bowl and warnie does it easily , he even invented the flipper , warne is a match -winner who as won australia many gaems , do you remaber 1996 cricket world cup semi-final wi vs aus , and 1999 cricket world cup semi-final Aus vs Sa ?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He is the greatest spin bowler of all time i have no doubt. stil i voted for benaub

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Indian god said:
I think personally shane warne , leg-spin is hard 2 bowl and warnie does it easily , he even invented the flipper , warne is a match -winner who as won australia many gaems , do you remaber 1996 cricket world cup semi-final wi vs aus , and 1999 cricket world cup semi-final Aus vs Sa ?
Grimmett invented it, Warne re-invented it 50 years later.

Warne invented the zooter, and probably the slider.

C_C

International Captain
Grimmett invented it, Warne re-invented it after 12-13 years ( Qadir didnt have it in his repertoire to my knowledge). Chandra used to bowl it, Gupte used to bowl it and i think Benaud bowled it.

And a zooter is basically a leggie's armball....its been a standard part of every leggie's repertioire....Qadir had a deceptive zooter before Warney.
Same with the slider.

its all part of the 'gatting myth' of Warne really.

Last edited: