• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Bangladesh ever be good?

C_C

International Captain
Langeveldt,
Your surmise that population is irrelevant and talent spotting and cultivation is the key is bang on target.
However, your prediction that Bangladesh would never improve to become a worldbeater rests on the incorrect assumption that living condition in Bangladesh ( or the subcontinent) would forever remain at a lower level than Australia or Britain.
It doesnt take into account the fact that all the subcontinental economies are improving at a faster pace than Australia/England ( demonstrated by growth %) and thus, sometime in the future ( i dunno 50-100 years), they will catch-up or overtake OZ/England in living standards and thus by extension, sophistication in talent-spotting and nurturing.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Beleg said:
Because your posts are full of false, not to mention cliche, generalizations. I have made no absolute claims, nor have I argued for or against Bangladesh's inclusion in test circuit. I have merely called you out on your boisterous claims.

For what it is worth, I watched Bangladesh pretty closely from their inaugration (and before that, in Asia Cups) till the Multan test-match. The strides they had taken (specially in fielding and batting) during that period were pretty amazing.

They competed well enough in the Multan test (using their head for example, pitching the ball in the right places etc) and I for once am perfectly okay with that. I am willing to give them 10, 15 years or however long it takes in the test arena to get their foot it. That's how long it took some other teams to get competitive afterall.

Gone, I think, are the days of Akram Khan's and Mehrab Hussain's and half-arsed coaches imported from Pakistan and India - with a good, professional coach and increasing intrest (and investment), not to mention continuous quality exposure there is little doubt that they will flourish.

Afterall, I have to ask, was Zimbabwe's cricket infrastructer during the late 90's, or their domestic teams for that matter, at par with the rest of the world? And look how well (relatively speaking) did they compete.

And you do bad-mouth them at pretty much any opportunity you get, and not all of the digs are amusing or warranted.
Well said man, well said.

Richard, you can't measure the improvement in Bangladesh using stats - although I know how you love them. Anyone who actually WATCHES cricket can see that they are a rapidly improving side and I wouldn't be surprised if they do improve greatly in the next decade - perhaps winning a series against the established Test nations or going a fair way in the WC.

Legglancer

State Regular
C_C said:
Langeveldt,
Your surmise that population is irrelevant and talent spotting and cultivation is the key is bang on target.
However, your prediction that Bangladesh would never improve to become a worldbeater rests on the incorrect assumption that living condition in Bangladesh ( or the subcontinent) would forever remain at a lower level than Australia or Britain.
It doesnt take into account the fact that all the subcontinental economies are improving at a faster pace than Australia/England ( demonstrated by growth %) and thus, sometime in the future ( i dunno 50-100 years), they will catch-up or overtake OZ/England in living standards and thus by extension, sophistication in talent-spotting and nurturing.
I concur .... every great civilization ultimately ended including the british empire. History almost always repeats it self ....

Legglancer

State Regular
Richard said:
I think people need to lay-off Rich here, I had a similar thing with that crickmate idiot not so long ago - don't go accusing people of colonial-idealism when you know nothing about them.
oh pleeze !

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
They've taken quarter of a step forward and three steps back several times in Tests.
They'd been taking fairly big steps forward until the most recent series.

Langeveldt

Soutie
C_C said:
Langeveldt,
As is population growth (and therefore all the ills surrounded by it such as overcrowding, poverty circles, malnutrition etc.).. You end up getting a situation like in India where the rich get richer and you get an emerging middle class, but there are still the same number of people living in impoverished slums (and although its a cruel but necessary in this discussion way of looking at it, probably won't be playing cricket for their country).. Although I've gone off at a tangent with my argument I was countering yours..

archie mac

International Coach
marc71178 said:
They'd been taking fairly big steps forward until the most recent series.
I hope that does not include recent efforts against the Zims? That series should never have been given Test status. The Russian national side would have given the Zims a run.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
I think people need to lay-off Rich here, I had a similar thing with that crickmate idiot not so long ago - don't go accusing people of colonial-idealism when you know nothing about them.
Not at all, it's been a pleasure having engaging debates with a number of members here, nearly equalled by the pleasure of having had minimal contact with this Legglancer fellow... And long may it continue unless he wants to do something about it..

C_C

International Captain
Population growth is not necessarily an inevitability for economic impoverishment.
For it all depends on population growth plus the economic growth.
Currently, the subcontinent is growing faster economically than population-wise.
Not to mention, growth of the population directly helps the economic output of a country as you have higher and higher proportions of the country being educated and economically productive.
As such, the trend in the subcontinent is improvement. India is projected to overtake the US as the second largest economy by 2020 and having one of the top 5 per capita income and within the top 20 in terms of highest distribution of wealth(ie, lack of poverty) by 2050.
bangladesh shows similar trends on a smaller scale and as such, your conclusion that a growth in population will forever keep the country impoverished and thus, behind developed nations is incorrect.
Not to mention, history is proof enough that nothing remains the same. It isnt inconceivable, with historical precedence in mind, to imagine America as the backwater pool of underdevelopment and central africa to be the heralding beacon of human development in 200 years' time.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
C_C said:
Not to mention, history is proof enough that nothing remains the same. It isnt inconceivable, with historical precedence in mind, to imagine America as the backwater pool of underdevelopment and central africa to be the heralding beacon of human development in 200 years' time.
It is so unlikely though, although America has corruption, there is corruption beyond belief in many states, particularly in Africa, so even if there is vast "economic" potential, how much of this potential is returned to the countries involved to benifit the populace remains to be seen. I'm not sure what the situation is like in Bangladesh, but wealth can so easily be squandered... I guess the only saying is "time will tell"

And in the words of Dave Houghton "I hope you rub egg in my face"

C_C

International Captain
Well historically, nothing is unlikely.
If a relatively newly concious ( technologically) and backwater nation like England can become the prime power in the world and one of the greatest civilizations in history of mankind, if not the greatest- Egypt- can wallow in mediocrity for hundreds of years, the converse is definately possible.

I dont see any reason not to believe that it is just as likely that America/western europe will become backwater underdeveloped regions as central Africa becomming a superpower in a few hundred years or sometime in the future.
But one thing i can garantee, from the infallible histrical precedent in this matter- nothing ever stays the same and no empire, no matter how great , militarily or financially or both, lasts forever.

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
Langeveldt said:
Not at all, it's been a pleasure having engaging debates with a number of members here, nearly equalled by the pleasure of having had minimal contact with this Legglancer fellow... And long may it continue unless he wants to do something about it..

I think Legglancer has a valid point and has questioned your credibility. You just don't seem to face your self in the mirror and admit it. Your absence after Bangladesh beat Australia spoke volumes.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chipmonk said:
I think Legglancer has a valid point and has questioned your credibility.
legglancer said:
Yes ... If your past performance is anything to go by, We can safely assume that you will bravely hibernate under another rock and not respond for about a year or so ! ( Or at least till the heat get's off your back)
legglancer said:
oh pleeze !
So sniping is now a "valid point"?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Of course. and so will Denmark, Holland, Canada et al.....some day for sure. :sleep:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Of course. and so will Denmark, Holland, Canada et al.....some day for sure. :sleep:
Of Course, One day Denmark, Holland, Canada etc will be good, but they have to become a Test nation first. Bangladesh are already a test nation and they are improving.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
archie mac said:
I hope that does not include recent efforts against the Zims? That series should never have been given Test status. The Russian national side would have given the Zims a run.
It includes a fairly long period - especially looking at the Australia series - they were expected to be absolutely creamed, but battled on far better than most expected (and gained a lot of experience from that series and from being able to share the field with a top class side)

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
As is population growth (and therefore all the ills surrounded by it such as overcrowding, poverty circles, malnutrition etc.).. You end up getting a situation like in India where the rich get richer and you get an emerging middle class, but there are still the same number of people living in impoverished slums (and although its a cruel but necessary in this discussion way of looking at it, probably won't be playing cricket for their country).. Although I've gone off at a tangent with my argument I was countering yours..
are you talking about England here?