Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 216
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: richie benaud's greatest 11

  1. #151
    Hall of Fame Member weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    15,054
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    It's where I'd put them as well
    That might be because you rate Viv higher than Sachin as batman, probably. But Benaud clearly rates Sachin higher than Viv, hence the question. I think Zaremba's explanation is a one possibility.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

  2. #152
    Evil Scotsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    away from here
    Posts
    31,328
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    That might be because you rate Viv higher than Sachin as batman. But Benaud clearly rates Sachin higher than Viv, hence the question. I think Zaremba's explanation is a plausible one.
    Did you not read my explanation?

  3. #153
    Hall of Fame Member weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    15,054
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Did you not read my explanation?
    Yes, and replied to it earlier in the last page too, I think.

  4. #154
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    13,059
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    It's where I'd put them as well, I'd want my most attacking batsman to come in at 4.

    Having toiled so hard to dismiss Bradman, I can't think of a more demoralising sight than seeing Sir Viv swagger out to the middle.
    That's not likely to happen, though. Bradman averages twice what the other batsmen do. It's more likely that Viv would have to walk in while Bradman was still batting, and either or Tendulkar or Sobers would be the ones walking in after Bradman was dismissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!


    'You will look very silly said Mr Salteena with a dry laugh.
    Well so will you said Ethel in a snappy tone and she ran out of the room with a very superier run throwing out her legs behind and her arms swinging in rithum.
    Well said the owner of the house she has a most idiotick run.'



  5. #155
    Hall of Fame Member weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    15,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    Marshall seems a slightly more glaring omission IMO..
    Marshall was an amazing bowler, and would be in my all-time XI (and Hadlee, too).

    But I can see Benaud's logic here.

    He takes a champion spinner, which is understandable (for one moment, not going into the debate about which champion spinner he takes and why). Sobers complements that champion spinner as a part-timer with completely different variety.

    Benaud takes Imran who is among the best of bowlers, and adds immense value in terms of battting depth.

    He takes Barnes either because he thinks he's the best of bowlers, or because he thinks he adds exceptional variety to the attack. Both of these reasons are understandable.

    Then he takes Lillee as a fast bowler. Now, I or you might rate Marshall a better bowler than Lillee, but there are many who played with or against at least one of them rate Lillee as the better bowler. Lillee was extremely successful in the World Series cricket, which is considered by many the highest level of cricket ever played. Lillee's test bowling stats are exceptional, but a shade below Marshall's. But there's a high chance that he was an even better bowler than what those stats suggest. Sobers rates Lillee as the best fast bowler ever, Hadlee considered Lillee his idol. And there are many many other champion players who rate Lillee as the best fast bowler ever.
    Last edited by weldone; 20-08-2010 at 06:50 AM.

  6. #156
    International Debutant Slifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,963
    I would rate MM above Lillee as well. but at no point did Benaud say Lillee was better or the best, just the side he would like to see play together and what else would one expect from an aussie (tongue in cheek)
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

  7. #157
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer someblokedave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Dear C_C

    A wait with baited breath.

    Have a look at page 58 -59 in the book Getting Wickets (Clarrie Grimmett) Hodder and Stougton 1930, not 1934 as you say. The description across these two pages follows a series of descriptions decribing the basic wrist spin deliveries. Then Grimmett goes on to say that he demonstrates the variety of spin (off/top/leg and backspin) using a simple method over a distance of 8-10 yards by turning the wrist (round the loop) and flicking the ball to impart spin on it "The method of spinning is similar to that used in clicking the finger and thumb to attract attention". The explanations and descriptions thereafter are of the four different Flippers that over the ensuing years he developed.

  8. #158
    The Tiger King smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    29,715
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Marshall was an amazing bowler, and would be in my all-time XI (and Hadlee, too).

    But I can see Benaud's logic here.

    He takes a champion spinner, which is understandable (for one moment, not going into the debate about which champion spinner he takes and why). Sobers complements that champion spinner as a part-timer with completely different variety.

    Benaud takes Imran who is among the best of bowlers, and adds immense value in terms of battting depth.

    He takes Barnes either because he thinks he's the best of bowlers, or because he thinks he adds exceptional variety to the attack. Both of these reasons are understandable.

    Then he takes Lillee as a fast bowler. Now, I or you might rate Marshall a better bowler than Lillee, but there are many who played with or against at least one of them rate Lillee as the better bowler. Lillee was extremely successful in the World Series cricket, which is considered by many the highest level of cricket ever played. Lillee's test bowling stats are exceptional, but a shade below Marshall's. But there's a high chance that he was an even better bowler than what those stats suggest. Sobers rates Lillee as the best fast bowler ever, Hadlee considered Lillee his idol. And there are many many other champion players who rate Lillee as the best fast bowler ever.
    The Benaud XI more balanced than the ESPN World XI IMO. Richie has given his team more batting depth while having more depth in the bowling by adding a bowling all-rounder (Imran),

  9. #159
    Cricketer Of The Year kingkallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    9,223
    Quote Originally Posted by nookie_lk View Post
    Load of bull .... Shane Warne is there but no Murali....and the excuse he gives is....<no comment> crap basically
    As usual, Sri Lankans or us Asians wont like the XI just cause Murali is not included.

    Keep 1 thing in mind, its HIS eleven and he is free to pick whoever he wishes.

    In fact half of the CWers would have picked Warne over Muralitharan.
    CricZo XI - Draft Dashboard

    15 Golds | 14 Silvers

    Scorecard Draft - 2010 | Alphabetical Draft - 2011 | The Eras Draft - 2014 | All Time Australia Draft - 2016 | All England Draft - 2016 | Draft By Nation - 2016 | Dual 00-10 Draft - 2017 | Dual 80-90 Draft - 2017 | Silent Auction Draft - 2018 | We are NOT #1 - 2018 | Centuries Draft - 2018 | ODI Partnership Draft - 2018 | Chain Draft - 2018

    All Time Trading Game - 2016 | ICC Sim League VI - 2018

  10. #160
    International Coach ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    11,617
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    The Benaud XI more balanced than the ESPN World XI IMO. Richie has given his team more batting depth while having more depth in the bowling by adding a bowling all-rounder (Imran),
    I will actually go a step further, and replace one batsman with a very good bowler who can bat a bit - Richard Hadlee. With Bradman, almost as good as 2 batsman, and Gilchrist, I will definitely push for 5 bowlers, specially when two of them can bat.

    As for Warne's selection, even though I will take Murali, it's not really outrageous. Lillee over Marshall is a bigger oversight.

    Ya ya, I know he chose an XI that he wanted to see but if we all just accepted that, what will be the fun
    Last edited by ankitj; 14-11-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

  11. #161
    The Tiger King smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    29,715
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    I will actually go a step further, and replace one batsman with a very good bowler who can bat a bit - Richard Hadlee. With Bradman, almost as good as 2 batsman, and Gilchrist, I will definitely push for 5 bowlers, specially when two of them can bat.

    As for Warne's selection, even though I will take Murali, it's not really outrageous. Lillee over Marshall is a bigger oversight.

    Ya ya, I know he chose an XI that he wanted to see but if we all just accepted that, what will be the fun


    Your team might actually end up Richie's XI. And will easily beat the ESPN XI I suppose.

  12. #162
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    9,385
    It's a bloody good team, that. A bloody amazing team. You can argue the toss about some very close calls he'll have had to make, but it's basically a team brimful of awesomeness. Richards at 4 after Bradman (see Ginger Furball's point on this), and Gilchrist at 8. Sweet Jesus. And if anyone thinks that Lillee, Imran, Barnes, Sobers and Warne is somehow a deficient bowling line-up, they're wrong.

  13. #163
    The Tiger King smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    29,715
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    It's a bloody good team, that. A bloody amazing team. You can argue the toss about some very close calls he'll have had to make, but it's basically a team brimful of awesomeness. Richards at 4 after Bradman (see Ginger Furball's point on this), and Gilchrist at 8. Sweet Jesus. And if anyone thinks that Lillee, Imran, Barnes, Sobers and Warne is somehow a deficient bowling line-up, they're wrong.
    Whoever said that????

  14. #164
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NDTV Propaganda Office
    Posts
    8,301
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    It's a bloody good team, that. A bloody amazing team. You can argue the toss about some very close calls he'll have had to make, but it's basically a team brimful of awesomeness. Richards at 4 after Bradman (see Ginger Furball's point on this), and Gilchrist at 8. Sweet Jesus. And if anyone thinks that Lillee, Imran, Barnes, Sobers and Warne is somehow a deficient bowling line-up, they're wrong.
    I don't think it is a deficient bowling line up. Just that it completely defies logic to pick a fast bowler who is equal/negligibly better as a bowler over a bowling all-rounder.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams



    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

    It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

  15. #165
    The Tiger King smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    29,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I don't think it is a deficient bowling line up. Just that it completely defies logic to pick a fast bowler who is equal/negligibly better as a bowler over a bowling all-rounder.
    Good Point

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Richie Benauds All Time Team
    By Swervy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 26-08-2004, 08:23 PM
  2. Greatest Ever West Indies Bowler?
    By Ford_GTHO351 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 16-04-2004, 03:22 PM
  3. Who Is The Greatest Ever West Indies Cricketer?
    By Ford_GTHO351 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 11:47 PM
  4. The Greatest Test Match
    By Beleg in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 21-03-2004, 01:49 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 06:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •