• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

richie benaud's greatest 11

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sachin refuses to move from 4 because its where the real greats of the last 20 years like Kallis and Lara bat.

Ponting has moved at 4 to try and emulate them but he's been incapable of getting it off the square.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lara and Kallis have batted three a lot. Tendulkar didn't because he had a better player there.

And because he's scared. :ph34r:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Imran was playing today, I've no doubt he would bat three.

At his 40 match peak anyway.

Or something.

Fusion

Global Moderator
If Imran was playing today, I've no doubt he would bat three.

At his 40 match peak anyway.

Or something.
Oh contraire, as his glorious 73* showed, Lillee could easily bat three if he wanted to.

He just chooses not to because all the best players are playing in the IPL, and his back is tore up, and he has to take care of his sick cat at home.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lara and Kallis have batted three a lot. Tendulkar didn't because he had a better player there.
Ah, that must be why Ponting moved from 3 to 4. To allow the superior Marsh and Khawaja to take that position :p

burr

State Vice-Captain
That's a team that's pretty consistent with his commentary. It's definitely short on fast bowling talent though. Is he still commentating by the way?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
AWTA. that is why ian chappell wanted knott in place of gilchrist for the cricinfo xi. when one department is as agood as it gets you better make sure the other one is also in the best shape possible.
Well, I would have Gilchrist and Lillee over Knott and Hadlee so I am not saying it's a hard and fast rule but in most cases, everyone bats - and #9 being able to bat well doesn't have an impact on the #5 not being able to bat during that time (in fact, it helps your #5 because he has an extra person to partner with instead of having to protect or start getting quick runs). So it's really very difficult for me to imagine batting ever being 'as good as it gets'. There was an article about utilizing some sort of a 'moneyball' system in cricket, and if it were ever developed, I've no doubt that all rounders would start appearing in a lot more all time XIs. Even now, even though it wouldn't be my first choice, I could easily see an all time XI with Miller, Imran, and Hadlee as the pace attack. I think that's an excellent attack even against all time great batsmen, and you strengthen your batting unbelievably against the opposition bowlers (who would themselves presumably be all time great bowlers, who would all be capable of running through batting lineups, so having that extra batting is never wasted).