• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who performed well in limited opportunities for their country...

Hoggy31

International Captain
This is players that did well in the one or a few games they played for their country.

A few that spring to mind for me would be Martin Love, Stuart Law and Matthew Nicholson

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Hoggy31 said:
This is players that did well in the one or a few games they played for their country.

A few that spring to mind for me would be Martin Love, Stuart Law and Matthew Nicholson
Poor Martin Love, he's not even on the radar at the moment. Now could have been his big comeback, with Lehmann teetering on the edge of being dropped and Katich's purple patch appearing to turn baby poo brown.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lol yeah but barry richards couldnt play a great amount of cricket for his country because South Africas band due to apartheid...

Martin Love broke his finger (maybe Thumb, maybe hand) in the pura cup opener this year, thats why he isnt in the mix, only just coming back now...

How about Stuart Macgill (my favourite player)..... nearly everytime he has played for Australia in the ODI's he has performed i think (dont quote me on this) he even got MOTM honours in his ODI debut for Aust, and he is the leading wicket taker in the ING history.... especially with warne out of the equation now he should deffinately get another go... i cant help but think its maybe his batting thats holding him back??

And as for his test career, well the figures speak for themselves, better strike rate than warne, more wickets then warne at the same time in their careers, im not saying drop warne (i wish) but im just saying that macgill is underrated by alot and if there was no warne macgill couldve gone down in history as one of test matches greatest bowlers, wicket wise

Last edited:

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Stuart MacGill. Every time he plays for Australia, he performs. I'm not saying he should be in the team, because obviously Warne performs just as well, probably better, but when he is needed, MacGill performs.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
ed smith did get that 50 i suppose, although it is now obvious that he is not of a high enouhg standard to represent england again

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Baconator said:
What about Barry Richards?
508 runs from 4 matches at an average of 72
he could have been an all time great
A few great (or potentially great) cricketers missed out due to the apartheid-era exclusion of SA. Aside from B Richards another that sprung to my mind is Mike Procter.

7 tests (all against Oz), 226 runs @ 25.11 & 41 wickets @ 15.02.

Figures like those suggest he could've been one of the best bowling all-rounders ever.

Of course, SA's sporting exclusion was obviously a good thing as it acted as a catalyst for the eventual enfranchisement of the majority population. Just tough on the blokes who couldn't ply their trade at the top level.

As a side note, all of SA's tests from 1961 (when they resigned from the commonwealth) to their ultimate exclusion were unofficial, yet still appear in the test match records. Does anyone know why this is so?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There is this player who averages over 100 in test cricket having played just a few matches. Forgot his name

Also S.E.Bond makes the cut in this list.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
David Steele, who averaged over 40 after playing all his tests against mid-70's Australia & West Indies. Then got dropped.

tooextracool

International Coach
Hoggy31 said:

martin love was extremely unlucky IMO. he definetly looked like a quality batsman from what i saw off him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
benchmark00 said:
lol yeah but barry richards couldnt play a great amount of cricket for his country because South Africas band due to apartheid...
So surely that has limited his chances?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
wpdavid said:
David Steele, who averaged over 40 after playing all his tests against mid-70's Australia & West Indies. Then got dropped.
Wasn't he getting on a bit though?