• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst cricketing injury?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Whats the worst injury you guys have seen??

Personally, it was when Murray Goodwin was fielding at short leg (at Trinidad I think) and he got hit in the back of the neck from a full blooded pull shot.. Ambulance job, but thank god he was okay..

twctopcat

International Regular
Haven't seen many thankfully (bit squeamish) but simon jones' is a famous and savage one!

Piper

International Captain
It has to be Simon Jones in the Ashes, man that had got to hurt. I really felt for him then

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah that was awful, just settled down with a few acres of toast to watch the first night of the ashes, nearly made me puke.. Horrible injury and credit to the guy for coming back

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
Though i never saw it the gillespie/steve waugh one sounded pretty horrific as well.
Worst looking, certainly.
Piper said:
It has to be Simon Jones in the Ashes, man that had got to hurt. I really felt for him then
Worst consequences, certainly.

Piper

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Yeah that was awful, just settled down with a few acres of toast to watch the first night of the ashes, nearly made me puke.. Horrible injury and credit to the guy for coming back
Yep, i was watching it and when i saw him sliding i thought oh no this is gonna cause damage and it did really bad damage too

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't argue against any of the above, but Gatting's broken nose in WI at the start of the 1985/86 tour was quite spectacular. Apparently when one of the fielders retrieved the ball it had a piece of one of Gattings' bones in it :wacko:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't remember it exactly - but I seem to recall David Lawrence's knee injury when he was bowling for England was horrendous.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I didn't see it, but I heard about it on The Twelfth Man..........Bruce Reid snapped in half in a game and they sticky-taped him back together only to see him completely fall apart again. Bill Lawry thought it was hilarious when he snapped in half the second time saying (while laughing) 'Of course he's bloody snapped in half again Tony, you can't sticky-tape a guy back together and expect him to perform to the best of his ability'.

(Note: Apologies to those of you who have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about!)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
wpdavid said:
I wouldn't argue against any of the above, but Gatting's broken nose in WI at the start of the 1985/86 tour was quite spectacular.
So where did it hit you Mike?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Langeveldt said:
It was... And the Euan Chatfield Incident :(
I don't remember it per se, but I have seen a pic of Peter Lever on his knees in tears 'cos he thought (not without reason) that he'd killed Chatfield.

LittleMo

Cricket Spectator
Scaly piscine said:
I don't remember it exactly - but I seem to recall David Lawrence's knee injury when he was bowling for England was horrendous.
England's 1991/2 tour to New Zealand, I believe. The snap of bone was supposed to have been clearly audible. He was screaming in agony.

He fought his way back from injury but I think he had another problem with the knee which forced him into retirement.

LittleMo

Cricket Spectator
BoyBrumby said:
I don't remember it per se, but I have seen a pic of Peter Lever on his knees in tears 'cos he thought (not without reason) that he'd killed Chatfield.
Peter Lever: 'I don't want any bloody sympathy, do you understand that? It has happened. People who say 'I know how you feel' are just talking bullsh*t. They don't know, not at all. What I can't forget is that the ball was a deliberate short one. Not deliberately at his head, but still deliberate.'

Chatfield's heart stopped for several seconds and it was probably only the quick work of the English physio and a St. John's ambulance officer, who administered mouth to mouth resuscitation, that saved his life.

Last edited:

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
Warne's dislocated shoulder in the VB Series versus England in 2002 was another one that comes to mind. Not as much blood etc as the Gillespie/Waugh collision but the pain on his face made it obvious that all was certainly not well.

shaka

International Regular
I remember an incident when Meyrick Pringle was hit in the eye by a cricket ball while batting and wearing a helmet, watched the rest of the game from a hospital bed

Craig

World Traveller
Simon Jones and Steve Waugh and Jason Gillespie's injuries are the worst I have seen.

Obviously the words "MINE!" didn't exist in their voculaborys "sp).