• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian intra-squad warm up game 23-26 August, The rose Bowl, Southampton

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, but the issue there is that Langer is a ****wit and not that you have 25 blokes acclimatised to playing cricket in England right now.

If you've got 25 blokes over there and playing then I don't know why you'd want to rule blokes out any sooner than you have to. Ideally, the selectors would have a solid idea of their squad by now and it might be a bit of a shootout over one or two spots but things should be largely settled and this match should be a warm up rather than a trial. I don't dispute that the current setup are putting far too much importance on one game.

However, I don't see the upside to naming your squad earlier than you have to. You name your 15 at the start and a bloke goes down injured and you call in somebody as a replacement. It sends a different message to just naming them in the squad after the fact.

Eventually there comes a point where you cull the squad down to 15 or 16 because they're the blokes with a realistic shot at playing and you're not going to carry around #25 for 6 weeks of touring but there is value in keeping them there for another week after the end of the A tour for a match like this,
Haha I actually would've gone a step further than you and actually named a squad of 25 for the series and then named a squad of 14 or so to take to each venue. I agree with you with where the problems are and aren't, but sadly I think the good things about this are actually just functions of the bad things rather than coming from places of well thought out purpose, which weakens the benefits of them in some ways.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha I actually would've gone a step further than you and actually named a squad of 25 for the series and then named a squad of 14 or so to take to each venue. I agree with you with where the problems are and aren't, but sadly I think the good things about this are actually just functions of the bad things rather than coming from places of well thought out purpose, which weakens the benefits of them in some ways.
Oh absolutely. There's every chance you'll end up with a worse squad because of this game (Neser's wickets and Mitch Marsh contributing) than you might have without it. That doesn't mean that the match itself was a bad idea though - it just means your coaches are hopeless.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, but the issue there is that Langer is a ****wit and not that you have 25 blokes acclimatised to playing cricket in England right now.

If you've got 25 blokes over there and playing then I don't know why you'd want to rule blokes out any sooner than you have to. Ideally, the selectors would have a solid idea of their squad by now and it might be a bit of a shootout over one or two spots but things should be largely settled and this match should be a warm up rather than a trial. I don't dispute that the current setup are putting far too much importance on one game.

However, I don't see the upside to naming your squad earlier than you have to. You name your 15 at the start and a bloke goes down injured and you call in somebody as a replacement. It sends a different message to just naming them in the squad after the fact.

Eventually there comes a point where you cull the squad down to 15 or 16 because they're the blokes with a realistic shot at playing and you're not going to carry around #25 for 6 weeks of touring but there is value in keeping them there for another week after the end of the A tour for a match like this,
Just trying to imagine the carnage of 25 blokes from our cricket club on a bus tour around England fro 6-8 weeks. Be brilliant.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
What pisses me off so much about this match is so many of Australia's test woes in the last few years have been caused by arbitrary and overly reactive selection. It's impossible for guys to feel at home a test level when the top 6 for every series is chosen by powerball. This cluster just takes the cake for ridiculousness.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have no problem with this game

It’s the performance that’s the worry
This. In the 90s both sides would have put up 300 and Hayden's 150* wouldn't have been enough to force him into the squad, let alone the XI.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Siddle bowling Marsh off the last ball of the day was shades of Warne v Basit Ali or Lillee vs Viv.

Spikey

can only assume the person wearing socks will be dropped by langer whenever possible

Burgey

As has been the case since 1877, England’s batting is currently making Australia’s look good