cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Mistakes in selection on this tour by England

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar
    Two obvious mistakes the management has made on this tour.

Ball is injured in warmup game and barely bowls in match situation, and then they pick him in front of Overton for first test. Which is fine I guess if you think Ball is the much superior bowler. But then they go and drop Ball after the first test and bring in Overton?? Made no sense.
    Ali at 6, Bairstow at 7? Lighting money on fire.

Probably didn't matter, but England needed everything going for them to compete from ball 1 and they got it wrong again... like nearly every overseas tour in the last few years.

UAE still the biggest shitpile

Moeen opens the batting, where he hasn't batted before, and when he should be concentrating on his bowling given the importance of spin in the conditions.
    Taylor (one of the better players of spin) doesn't get selected until the final test whilst others struggle.
    Decide to play 3 mediocre spinners (Patel added to Rashid and Ali) in final test to try and draw level in the series when the fast bowlers were causing the trouble to pakistan.

International Vice-Captain Tangles's Avatar
    Drop the non performers then. Guess you need to drop Cook, Ali and Broad. Root saved by the captaincy.

Look when your senior players are the problem that isn't fixed in 2 dead tests.

FBU
    Before the series I think we would have been competitive with

Cook Stoneman Vince Root Malan Stokes Bairstow Ali, Roland-Jones Broad Anderson (was not expecting much from Stoneman and Vince)

For NZ would like Hameed at 2 and Gubbins at 3.

International Debutant Victor Ian's Avatar
    @ opening post. Pisses me off when people call wickets flat that have all given a result and caused both teams problems at times.

Rule no1: If you lose 20 wickets per match, it is not because wickets are flat. It is because you are ****.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    Have you never heard of May and Gooch? The last England captain's average is basically the same captaincy or otherwise.
    Vaughn and Flintoff fell off a cliff when picked as captain. Admittedly Strauss and Root didn't. The fact that you have to go back 20 years to find a counter example says it all.

Strauss and Cook I meant to say.

Cricketer Of The Year TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Ian View Post
    @ opening post. Pisses me off when people call wickets flat that have all given a result and caused both teams problems at times.

Rule no1: If you lose 20 wickets per match, it is not because wickets are flat. It is because you are ****.
    Calling these wickets flat is just ignorant. They've all easily produced results, despite rain

As for the OP, Gary Ballance at 4 in Australia against this attack? And this side is supposed to be better?
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

What club cricket league has spinners of Moeen Ali's calibre playing in them?
    Adders likes this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Cricketer Of The Year TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Clubs all over Australia have first-class and occasional international players in them. When I was a kid in Melbourne every club had at least 1 or 2 overseas professionals who played First-class cricket regularly in somewhere Asia or England or wherever.

TNT
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    The ones with not very good spinners.
    If you nick it walk

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eempyrean View Post
    1. Not picking a front-line spinner. They didn't take Leach to the sub-continent and once again refused to pick him (or another front-line spinner here)
    2. Persisting with Moeen Ali. Let's be honest they are plenty of club bowlers who would be just as effective and the same level of control...pointless selecting a player not good enough with bat or ball for these conditions. He's arguably no better of a bowler than Malan either.
    Yes, by this point you'd clearly lost the plot. If a bloke with 30 wickets at 21.30 in the last summer isn't a front line spinner then you're clearly talking out of your arse.

I can only assume you reside in the North East, Durham maybe?
    Adders and zorax like this.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Vaughn and Flintoff fell off a cliff when picked as captain. Admittedly Strauss and Root didn't. The fact that you have to go back 20 years to find a counter example says it all.
    Pretty sure it was a pedalo that Flintoff fell off tbh
    morgieb and GoodAreasShane like this.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

State Vice-Captain GuyFromLancs's Avatar
    1. Not picking a front-line spinner. They didn't take Leach to the sub-continent and once again refused to pick him (or another front-line spinner here)
    2. Persisting with Moeen Ali. Let's be honest they are plenty of club bowlers who would be just as effective and the same level of control...pointless selecting a player not good enough with bat or ball for these conditions. He's arguably no better of a bowler than Malan either.
    3. Not playing Bairstow as a batsman and picking Foakes as keeper who is a very good batsman himself..
    4. Not batting Root 3. Captain doesn't have to be 3, or the best player. He does when the openers and number 3 are all fragile. Especially when he's the best player.
    5. Ballance could have been a great option on flat wickets, especially if put at his natural number 4 position.
    6. England didn't pick a team to win with. They picked a team to try to avoid getting bashed game after game. And it happened anyway.
    7. Aus have 3 seamers and a spinner plus part-timers. England could have used the same balance..

Team I'd have selected pre-series

1. Cook
    2. Stoneman
    3. Root (c)
    4. Ballance
    5. Bairstow
    6. Malan
    7. Foakes (wk)
    8. Overton
    9. Broad
    10. Leach
    11. Anderson

I think this team would have had more of a chance. I'm interested what sort of a team you'd have picked pre-series (not in hindsight) and what you'd pick for the 4th test?

Test 4 (using players from the squad England have picked)

1. Cook
    2. Stoneman
    3. Root (c)
    4. Ballance
    5. Bairstow
    6. Malan
    7. Foakes (wk)
    8. Overton
    9. Curran
    10. Crane
    11. Anderson

I think for the 4th test I'd drop Broad and play Curran looking at the touring party. Crane would have to play instead of Leach. I'd like to give Ballance a game now the series is dead, Vince did ok though in the 3rd test. I'd rotate Vince for Ballance however just to see what happens, not like England have anything to lose from it.
    Traditionally our spinners have been so ineffective in Australia, it probably made no odds to the selectors. Since Swann (by far the best England spinner I've seen in my near-30 years of watching the sport) felt compelled to retire after 2 tests last time out, who else do you want to sacrifice?

I agree with much of the rest
    Last edited by GuyFromLancs; 21-12-2017 at 02:22 AM.
    Simplicity - Complexity - Simplicity

U19 Debutant
    3. Not playing Bairstow as a batsman and picking Foakes as keeper who is a very good batsman himself..
    4. Not batting Root 3. Captain doesn't have to be 3, or the best player. He does when the openers and number 3 are all fragile. Especially when he's the best player.
    5. Ballance could have been a great option on flat wickets, especially if put at his natural number 4 position.
    6. England didn't pick a team to win with. They picked a team to try to avoid getting bashed game after game. And it happened anyway.
    7. Aus have 3 seamers and a spinner plus part-timers. England could have used the same balance..

Team I'd have selected pre-series

1. Cook
    2. Stoneman
    3. Root (c)
    4. Ballance
    5. Bairstow
    6. Malan
    7. Foakes (wk)
    8. Overton
    9. Broad
    10. Leach
    11. Anderson

I think this team would have had more of a chance. I'm interested what sort of a team you'd have picked pre-series (not in hindsight) and what you'd pick for the 4th test?

Test 4 (using players from the squad England have picked)

1. Cook
    2. Stoneman
    3. Root (c)
    4. Ballance
    5. Bairstow
    6. Malan
    7. Foakes (wk)
    8. Overton
    9. Curran
    10. Crane
    11. Anderson

I think for the 4th test I'd drop Broad and play Curran looking at the touring party. Crane would have to play instead of Leach. I'd like to give Ballance a game now the series is dead, Vince did ok though in the 3rd test. I'd rotate Vince for Ballance however just to see what happens, not like England have anything to lose from it.
    You wouldn't pick Ali who has had an exceptional 18 months in tests and was THE test player for England in the summer?

I think not selecting Rashid and Plunkett to even be in the squad are the two big omissions. Not bringing the best fast bowler in England over was another problem, speaking of Porter. I agree with Root being at 3.

Other than that, theres not much England could do. They dont really have an exceptional batsman doing the rounds that is really standing up for selection and could strengthen the middle order. There is no such opener either.

Basically, Australia have the same problem in reverse, or HAD. They were unable to come to England and win a series, maybe this team could be different.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information