• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Trent Bridge

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even if it's not the greenest pitch ever, it's very difficult to see how it could be worse for batting on day 2 than day 1. Especially since it's overcast this morning and forecast to be sunny tomorrow.
That might well be true, but it's also difficult to see it not deteriorating to some degree on days 4 & 5.

Also they're coming off the back of a disastrous bat-first last week. If they weren't going to bowl today, they never will.
IDK, even if they didn't today, I'm sure they would have on a green deck like we saw vs. India in England last year, or on the one when India last toured NZ.

morgieb

Big call picking a 6/1/4 combo. That said it's the right kind of pitch to pick that sort of combo. Certainly could see Marsh/Watson returning at The Oval.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I personally wouldn't have dropped Watto and said that at the time. I did think that Mitch should replace him eventually I questioned whether the pressure cooker of the ashes was the right place for a green horn. Mitchell will be back and is part of Australia's future. Wouldn't be surprised to see him play against us.

Ideally you want an all rounder in there somewhere but I guess they just decided they didn't have a test standard one atm.
I think it might be more of a situational change - maybe they're thinking that their batting has been fragile, and they think they can roll England with 4 bowlers given England haven't set the world on fire with the willow themselves. A decision you might make when you need a win.

Compton

International Debutant
Would you be happy with either of them at 6? Or are you suggesting the keeper goes to 6 and they go to 7.

I would be think either Maxwell or faulkner would make a very decent fist of 7
Yeah, I'd have Nevill in at 6 with the all-rounder at 7. Either would be a good option, Faulkner if you need the extra bowler, Maxwell if it'll turn/you need a batsman more than a bowler.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That might well be true, but it's also difficult to see it not deteriorating to some degree on days 4 & 5.

IDK, even if they didn't today, I'm sure they would have on a green deck like we saw vs. India in England last year, or on the one when India last toured NZ.
Game might struggle to get to three days.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'd have Nevill in at 6 with the all-rounder at 7. Either would be a good option, Faulkner if you need the extra bowler, Maxwell if it'll turn/you need a batsman more than a bowler.
Yeah I don't mind that thinking. I think I spat out my cup of tea when someone suggested those two players for a premier role in the team instead of just being the "All rounder". But yeah I think either one of them could play a role in the team taking wickets and being a nuisance to dismiss. If I had to pick between the two then I would go Faulkner on most occassions outside of the sub continent/Windies. I think higher of his batting than I do Maxwell's even though Maxwell is the batsman out of the two of them.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Warnie; firstly talking about how Keith Miller liked him chopping up a storm, then turns his eye, not his ears, to the national anthem...

Spikey

Warnie; firstly talking about how Keith Miller liked him chopping up a storm, then turns his eye, not his ears, to the national anthem...
You forgot the part where he said WSC was the best cricket ever played, in his opinion

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Broad doing him from around the wicket bowling at the stumps.

Tough for Rogers, as he doesn't really hit that back down the ground.