• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at Edgbaston

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 2013 Ashes. Which proves he can score runs at home against a quality Aus attack, unless we think he's fallen off a cliff since, which admittedly could be the case. But that series is a huge banker because there's no one else we can bring in* who we know has the ability to get runs in a series like this, many, such as Bairstow have even had multiple chances and failed.

*Don't do it.
Bring..... Back.....

K........

...abir Ali?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He has got an awful lot of work to do, even his biggest supporters know that but all those that want a 'proper' spinner can't name one.
Reminds me a lot of Steve Smith pre recall, in that people talk about his main suit in different terms to how they would otherwise, because he has a second one he is good/decent at. Evaluating someone performing their main discipline, and even deciding it's not good enough, is fine by me but when people mention it in respect to their 2nd discipline it really just makes me wonder if they know anything. Was talking about potential pitch doctoring England could do with a few guys at the club today, and I mentioned how we can't even play a spinning pitch because Australia have the better spinner, and someone corrected me by saying, "no, it's the fact they have a proper spinner". I mean what does that even mean?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The 2013 Ashes. Which proves he can score runs at home against a quality Aus attack, unless we think he's fallen off a cliff since, which admittedly could be the case. But that series is a huge banker because there's no one else we can bring in* who we know has the ability to get runs in a series like this, many, such as Bairstow have even had multiple chances and failed.

*Don't do it.
We need to get Chris Woakes in for the Old Trafford test. 1st unofficial Test: England Lions v Australia A at Manchester, Aug 7-10, 2012 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Edit: Didn't notice Bairstow got a ton in the second innings. ****

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Surely all that credit has been exhausted in the last 43 tests in the last 3 years where he's averaged a wonderful 34.3 (Also 28.6 in the last 20 tests). If this isn't droppable I don't know what is. You don't wait for him to become a complete tailender.
Yeah all well and good if the rest of the batting was firing. It's not so I'll take the guy with 22 tons over the other two who are also failing

I mean unless you think making three changes to a batting line up in the middle of a series is sensible, but I don't

Shady Slim

International Coach
could try to falsify records and say brendan taylor's actually been there for the seven or whatever years and hope nobody notices it tbh

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
1-0 in England though isn't it.
Okay and it's 1-0 on neutral territory

Seriously. You are transparent as ****. I have ZERO problem with people who support their team and want to rub salt in the wounds. But blowhards who are nowhere to be seen when said team is losing? No time for that. Bore off

Hooksey

Banned
Okay and it's 1-0 on neutral territory

Seriously. You are transparent as ****. I have ZERO problem with people who support their team and want to rub salt in the wounds. But blowhards who are nowhere to be seen when said team is losing? No time for that. Bore off
You know what I don't like? Sore losers.

TheJediBrah

England need to go for some green tops imo

level the playing field a bit, because Aus are simply a class above in all departments which will show on decent batting wickets. A couple of bowler-friendly pitches and luck comes into it a bit more, gives England a better chance.

Uppercut

I'd keep the team as it is. Can't see anyone coming in and scoring runs against the mitches right off the bat. Different story if trott or kp could be treated as available but if they were they'd already be in the side.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ravi not mentioned as the saviour of the England side yet? sometimes I think I've failed cricketweb, and cricketweb has failed me:(

Spark

Global Moderator
Another man who could make a difference - Nick Compton - spent the weekend at the beach. Compton's Test career was ended (for now, at least) after he went six innings in succession without reaching 20. His Test average - 31.93 - does not make his case for a recall especially persuasively, but he remains as hard to dismiss as anyone in county cricket and has a defensive technique that would appear well-suited to negating pace bowling. He really should come into the equation.

That he probably will not is largely due to a misunderstanding. Having taken a blow in the 2013 Headingley Test against New Zealand, Compton was sent for a scan and, while chatting to a doctor, was informed that he probably had a cracked rib. When the scans were analysed, however, he was shown to have suffered nothing more than deep bruising and it was alleged by the team management that he had shirked his fielding duties as he did not want to put himself in the firing line. Compton was offended, words were exchanged and he has never been selected since. It is two years since the selectors even spoke to him about a possible recall.
If this is true then it's absolutely childish.