cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Fall in Sky Ashes viewing figures

Fall in Sky Ashes viewing figures

Fall in Sky Ashes viewing figures leaves English cricket facing stark choices | Sean Ingle | Sport | The Guardian

I usually don't bother too much with those "test cricket is dying" crowd however less half half a million viewership for an Ashes test is pitfully low surely cricket can't remain behind the paywall much longer if cricket is to survive as one of the major sports in England.

But it's all good so long as Giles Clarke continues to rake in money right

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    reap what you sow

In September I'll ask my students how many of them watched any of the Ashes. It will be 0
    We are lost
    We can never go home

Loads of them will be watching the Premier League though.

It is not just Sky.
    GIMH and 91Jmay like this.

The problem Test cricket has is that it's fundamentally unwatchable. It requires a 5 day commitment between 11am and 6pm, when most people have this thing called 'work' that gets in the way.

I only saw as much of the 1st Test as I did because I was in bed ill for 2 days, I won't get to see a single ball of the 2nd Test live because I'm working 4 of the 5 days and on Sunday I'm heading up to St Andrews to watch the final day of the Open.
    ​IF I CAN SHOOT RABBITS THEN I CAN SHOOT FASCISTS

Its as dull as complaining about Premier League players making millions before they hit 20, but having the Ashes so often for the "casual" viewer at least has probably hurt some of its aura, and as the article suggested Wimbledon was concluding.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Loads of them will be watching the Premier League though.

It is not just Sky.
    Fair point; well made.

If the BBC or ITV could be arsed to bid for the highlights it'd be a start.

I actually quite like 5's coverage, but it's it's still very much the Tito of the five main channels.
    GIMH likes this.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Brexit is the Tory party's baby; it's been a long and painful labour and, at the very last minute, they've sh@t all over it.'" - Frankie Boyle

I disagree with Furball. The great thing about Test cricket is that you can have commitments around it and still see plenty of the match. I mean, granted, I did cancel plans on Saturday once it looked like the game was going to end that day. But I worked in the office Thurs/Fri, so no visual coverage for me until around 5.30, and still feel like I saw enough of the match to form a reasonable (by my standards opinion) on it.

I agree with Pothas's point to an extent, about the Prem, however there is no doubt that the Sky deal starting in 06 at the point when kids all around the country were picking up bats was a kicker. It was a huge opportunity wasted.

Football hooks them in in many ways, and there is still a fair amount on free TV. The kids without sky will find a way, be it streams, visiting a relative/friend, settling for MOTD. Cricket doesn't have them on the hook to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Yeah it is a fair point and I think it is really important that we at least get some domestic Twenty20 on free-to-air. I don't know what sort of proportion of people have Sky these days anyway, I also know that there are number of big cricket fans (my Dad being one) who still follow the game closely but would never dream of getting Sky, they settle for the radio.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Guess a lot of people will be like me though as I cancelled my Sky and watch it online instead. Might be a bit naughty but it saves me lots of cash.

International Coach
    Cricket is what it is in this country. 2005 was a zenith and it will never be reached again. As long as the finances are solid and we keep producing decent teams that's about all we can ask for considering how far down the priorities cricket is for most people.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Back to back to back Ashes getting tiresome ? That we've had three 5-match Ashes series since 2013 is kind of absurd.
    91Jmay, BeeGee, Prince EWS and 1 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Back to back to back Ashes getting tiresome ? That we've had three 5-match Ashes series since 2013 is kind of absurd.
    Could be a fair point. People who post on forums like this aren't complaining but it makes it less 'must-watch' for the casual fans who wouldn't dream of watching us on a winter tour or against Sri Lanka/New Zealand at home (no offence, just the way it is sadly) but enjoy watching the Ashes.

Cricketer Of The Year
    I'm not sure how they calculate satellite/cable viewing figures. I subscribe to BT Sport and can have anything up to 20 people watching the Saturday lunchtime game because not many people subscribe. When calculating the viewing figures they can have no idea how many people are watching in pubs or on mass at friends houses. (Incidentally I don't have 20 friends, the house is usually full of people I don't know).

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Surely a humiliating World Cup and a (on paper) poor showing against New Zealand would likely have contributed to this? The fairweather fans will likely return to England now that they're winning again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information