• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2nd Test at Lord's

adub

International Captain
I find it very hard to believe that Haddin will get binned as virtually every comment about him from within the team is "great team man" or the like so chances are that they will persevere with him and give him a nudge at the end of the series

Watto is different IMO
I agree that's what's likely to happen, but I fear we'll pay a high price for it. Another bad drop could put us 2-0 down and even getting back to square the series will be tough with the Poms producing flat decks to play for draws.

adub

International Captain
The most frustrating part about the 1st test is the minute amount of application and patience it would have taken to get us through to the 5th day, where it was widely forecast it was going to rain. Australia didn't even look interested in testing out the prediction.
The mini collapse after lunch screwed us. One decent 90min partnership probably would have got us to day 5 and singing in the rain.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
True enough. I thought he'd be the one to get the call, but that doesn't mean I think he deserved it. If (and I think it's only an if at the moment) the pitches produced continue to nullify MJ and he or Starc need replacing then I think we're in a bit of bother. I'd be less displeased if Haze pulled up lame and Siddle had to fill his role in a dead rubber 5th test, but chasing a series I'm not very confident either of the back up quicks are suitable. Maybe once Cummins gets some overs in the fc game after Lords he'll look more like he belongs, but if we had to replace a bowler this week we're in the ****.
Do they draft in Bird from outside of the squad in that situation?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
True enough. I thought he'd be the one to get the call, but that doesn't mean I think he deserved it. If (and I think it's only an if at the moment) the pitches produced continue to nullify MJ and he or Starc need replacing then I think we're in a bit of bother. I'd be less displeased if Haze pulled up lame and Siddle had to fill his role in a dead rubber 5th test, but chasing a series I'm not very confident either of the back up quicks are suitable. Maybe once Cummins gets some overs in the fc game after Lords he'll look more like he belongs, but if we had to replace a bowler this week we're in the ****.
I cant see how he was even in contention

We all agree that he is an exceptional talent but surely a fc game sometime in the last few years should have been a prerequisite

greg

International Debutant
In England's last two series they have gone one up with ultimately dominant performances only to immediately drop the ball in the next test. Just saying...

adub

International Captain
I cant see how he was even in contention

We all agree that he is an exceptional talent but surely a fc game sometime in the last few years should have been a prerequisite
Absolutely. I would have liked Behrendorff to get a look in. Been the best quick in the shield the last two seasons and if it was coming to replacing Starc or MJ he isn't that far away from being like for like. Not as quick but left arm tall and moves it in the air. It would have absolutely be rewarding good performance in the Shield, but his stress fractures put him out of contention.

Patto and NCN though both played in the Shield Final so you would think either could have been called up. Both should be in front of Cummins until at least he gets more than half a dozen fc games over 5 years under his belt.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absolutely. I would have liked Behrendorff to get a look in. Been the best quick in the shield the last two seasons and if it was coming to replacing Starc or MJ he isn't that far away from being like for like. Not as quick but left arm tall and moves it in the air. It would have absolutely be rewarding good performance in the Shield, but his stress fractures put him out of contention.

Patto and NCN though both played in the Shield Final so you would think either could have been called up. Both should be in front of Cummins until at least he gets more than half a dozen fc games over 5 years under his belt.
Patto's non-selection probably has to do with fitness (although he did make the A-team oddly). I'm gobsmacked that they'd rate Cummins ahead of Pattinson based on what we've seen.

flibbertyjibber

Patto's non-selection probably has to do with fitness (although he did make the A-team oddly). I'm gobsmacked that they'd rate Cummins ahead of Pattinson based on what we've seen.
Can only be that they think Cummins is currently fitter than Pattinson.

Son Of Coco

The mini collapse after lunch screwed us. One decent 90min partnership probably would have got us to day 5 and singing in the rain.
Yeah, that was the end of the second innings for us, but over both innings there was a lack of application from a couple of guys in our top order that could have seen us through to Day 5. Again, England bowled very well, but it's disappointing how easily we succumbed to it.

Top_Cat

Yeah but the lack of application stems in the technical and cultural. There are reasons why so few Aussies in Test history have good records in England and it's the same reasons why so many foreign players fail when they go to OZ; lack of familiarity with the conditions and ability to adapt quickly enough to them. That we saw so many guys in the 90's and 00's who could do well over there was basically a purple patch. Very, very few cricketers have genuine all-wicket games.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Please no Siddle

Was reading today that his most recent 5 Tests he's taken 9 wickets at 66

It's a myth that he's got great control

Besides, bowling in general and lack of control more specifically were not big problems at Cardiff

WE comfortably took 20 wickets
This to me is not logical. He(or anyone in a simiar situation) has already been punished by being dropped. Those last 5 tests rightfully were considered when dropping Sid, but cant be held against him now that he is back in the squad. No double dipping allowed..

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but the lack of application stems in the technical and cultural. There are reasons why so few Aussies in Test history have good records in England and it's the same reasons why so many foreign players fail when they go to OZ; lack of familiarity with the conditions and ability to adapt quickly enough to them. That we saw so many guys in the 90's and 00's who could do well over there was basically a purple patch. Very, very few cricketers have genuine all-wicket games.
Love this post and all your work cricket chat related.

I like the use of the word cultural it starts to get into some systemic issues with the way that players from certain countries bat.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Why do you think we're so much more likely to see teams change the attack to suit conditions, but not the batting order?

Spikey

People know that Cummins has basically been fit for the past 6-9 months right? I have no problem believing that Cummins is currently fitter than Pattinson. he's been playing for Aus, training with Aus and attending the Aus cricket academy. He's not been in Sbieria

Stapel

International Regular
Why do you think we're so much more likely to see teams change the attack to suit conditions, but not the batting order?
That's something I've never really given a thought!

The horses for courses principle seems to be normal when picking bowlers, yet completely not done when selecting batsmen.

Pothas

I saw Bird a few weeks ago and he was a long wag from being ready to bowl in a test match.

morgieb

People know that Cummins has basically been fit for the past 6-9 months right? I have no problem believing that Cummins is currently fitter than Pattinson. he's been playing for Aus, training with Aus and attending the Aus cricket academy. He's not been in Sbieria
Yes. But if you wanted to have him in consideration for the Ashes, surely you'd let him play Shield cricket? I assume that fact that he only played white ball cricket last summer was down to the fact that CA wanted to keep him in cotton wool and build up his fitness for red ball cricket.....and then select him after a proper Shield season.