Page 4 of 172 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Like Tree424Likes

Thread: *Official* 2nd Test at Lord's

If Watto and Hadds had got us to day 5 and thanks to the weather a draw then they'd have the right for another crack at Lords, but 1-0 down and on the back of a long run of being given leniency at the selection table I don't think either has a complaint if they miss out.

I'm not buying the Lords being too tough for Nev thing either. He's not 21. He's a pretty experienced pro with lots of experience captaining NSW. If he's the better all round package with bat and gloves (and I'm sure he is) then he should play. He's shown plenty of times that he's a competitor and can make runs when his side's in trouble. He's just more likely to be inspired to a match winning performance making his debut on the big stage than to be overawed.

At 0-0 we could afford to be a bit conservative and give old guys like Watto and Hadds a chance to prove they ain't completely past it. But now we need to counter attack and we all know these two aren't going to be the ones capable of carrying that. Marsh in the form of his life at 6 and Mr Dependable Nev at 7 and moving better behind the sticks should give us a much firmer basis to strike back.
    Swingpanzee likes this.
    408 - forever 63*
    "Steve O'Keefe, the spin bowler Shane Warne said wasn't good enough for Test cricket, just destroyed the Indian batting line-up."
    Proudly jumping on the SOK Bandwagon since 2010.

Please no Siddle

Was reading today that his most recent 5 Tests he's taken 9 wickets at 66

It's a myth that he's got great control

Besides, bowling in general and lack of control more specifically were not big problems at Cardiff

WE comfortably took 20 wickets
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

I would make two changes by injecting some zest, some chutzpah, some exuberance if you will:

Out: Watson, Haddin

In: MMarsh, Nev
    Jono likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I didn't see all or even a lot of the first test, but the softness of some of the dismissals ****ted me no end. Rogers, TPC, and Clarke in the first dig; Clarke, Haddin and even Voges in the second. ****ing awful. To get starts and then get ot softly is pissing around with decent form, and that's always a dangerous thing to do. I know Voges was a bit stiff in the second dig because he was new to the crease, but look at his (lack of) footwork ffs. Dire ****. Worst of all was gifting Ali wickets the way they did. Jesus Christ man.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Please no Siddle

Was reading today that his most recent 5 Tests he's taken 9 wickets at 66

It's a myth that he's got great control

Besides, bowling in general and lack of control more specifically were not big problems at Cardiff

WE comfortably took 20 wickets
    I'd seriously rather we played Marsh at 6 and put Watto at 9 instead of Siddle. He mightn't be as old as some of the others on the tour, but he's done.

Is there anything worse than reading the Aussie sports media after Australia loses an Ashes test?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Yes, the comments sections of the articles
    Jono, Son Of Coco, adub and 1 others like this.

haha

Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post
    I'd seriously rather we played Marsh at 6 and put Watto at 9 instead of Siddle. He mightn't be as old as some of the others on the tour, but he's done.
    Exactly why Cummins selection isn't getting as much heat as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Is there anything worse than reading the Aussie sports media after Australia loses an Ashes test?
    Daily Telegraph in the lead-up to the last SOO beats anything ever

It's like QLD's dominance never happened and guys like Smith, Inglis & Thurston were softies that needed zimmer frames to get around

International Regular Swingpanzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post
    At 0-0 we could afford to be a bit conservative and give old guys like Watto and Hadds a chance to prove they ain't completely past it. But now we need to counter attack and we all know these two aren't going to be the ones capable of carrying that. Marsh in the form of his life at 6 and Mr Dependable Nev at 7 and moving better behind the sticks should give us a much firmer basis to strike back.
    This.

It's not exactly an out-of-the-blue call or debatable selection really, both Watson and Haddin are in horrible nick. Playing them with the hope that they would contribute in Lord's despite them having done zilch in the past year is foolish. Bring on Marsh who is good form and Nevill who is a good keeper and can't be any worse than how Haddin has been

I find it very hard to believe that Haddin will get binned as virtually every comment about him from within the team is "great team man" or the like so chances are that they will persevere with him and give him a nudge at the end of the series

Watto is different IMO

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    The most frustrating part about the 1st test is the minute amount of application and patience it would have taken to get us through to the 5th day, where it was widely forecast it was going to rain. Australia didn't even look interested in testing out the prediction.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    Exactly why Cummins selection isn't getting as much heat as it should.
    True enough. I thought he'd be the one to get the call, but that doesn't mean I think he deserved it. If (and I think it's only an if at the moment) the pitches produced continue to nullify MJ and he or Starc need replacing then I think we're in a bit of bother. I'd be less displeased if Haze pulled up lame and Siddle had to fill his role in a dead rubber 5th test, but chasing a series I'm not very confident either of the back up quicks are suitable. Maybe once Cummins gets some overs in the fc game after Lords he'll look more like he belongs, but if we had to replace a bowler this week we're in the ****.

International Regular Swingpanzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    The most frustrating part about the 1st test is the minute amount of application and patience it would have taken to get us through to the 5th day, where it was widely forecast it was going to rain. Australia didn't even look interested in testing out the prediction.
    yeah.

Page 4 of 172 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread Information