• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Top 7 going forward?

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Realistically in terms of Englands top 7 we're looking at what 3 new bats? Assuming Cook, KP, Tinker and Stokes are currently shoe ins. Root will also probably be back at some point and tuck into less threatening bowling. He should not be opening though. Ballance probably deserves a couple more tests and right now I'm discounting Trott from coming back.

Keeper: Either Prior finds some form or Buttler? Bairstow was surely only picked because he was there. Not the best gloveman (though didn't seem to do much wrong with the gloves when i saw him) and a batting technique consistently found out.

Openers: Robson is being talked about on twitter a lot. Carberry won't play again.

Cook
Robson ??
Bell
KP
Ballance ??
Stokes
Buttler/Prior

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not seen much of Robson but can't do worse than Carberry who should never play again. Root will return but when and where is anyones guess. Buttler or Prior will be the keeper.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Make them all play for their counties from the off next season and then pick Stokes plus the first six in the averages as at the weekend before the first Test

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm...having watched no cricket at all this year and only laughed at England thru this series, I suggest a top 7 of Cook, Compton, Bell, Pietersen, Hales, Root and a keeper

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
A lot will depend on county form but I'd be content with something like this:

Cook
Root
Bell
KP
Ballance
Stokes
Prior

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I agree that Prior should be the keeper until the next Ashes at lead. Is there really anybody better? Obviously he has had an absolutely shocking 8 games, but talent doesn't just disappear. Give him a break and I'm sure he'll come back with a new lease on life ala Haddin.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's a good opportunity for a few of the boys on the Lions tour tbh. They get a bit of a headstart compared to the others if we're talking about 'early season form'. I'd like to think Woakes captaining means something but it didn't with Jimmy Taylor.

Cook
Whoever puts up the best numbers out of Chopra, compton, Robson or Root
Bell
Pietersen
Ballance
Stokes
Prior if he has a 'good' start to the season. If he doesn't manage that then whoever does well out of Davies or Buttler.

Could there be scope for picking Stokes as the 3rd seamer and having another bowling option in the top 7. I mean, I'd rather be picking someone like Stokes ahead of Finn and Rankin at the moment with the ball, but if we wanted the insurance we could pick Woakes/Moeen. Especially attractive giving the issue we've got finding a Test quality spinner atm let alone one who can hold up an end

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think Prior's been the beneficiary of the age old "becoming a better player when not playing" rule.

He's a class act, but I'd like to see him show some kind of form for Mr z's chaps before he's quietly slotted back in. Different format I know, but if Jos scores heavily in the ODIs his case will become stronger.

If we were playing a test tomorrow (thank feck we aren't) and everyone was available for selection I'd be looking at:

Cook
Robson
Bell
Pietersen
Ballance
Stokes
Buttler+

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
Cook
Stokes
Bell
Pieterson
Root
Ballance
Broad (just)

For people putting Robson how can he play for England when he has already played for Australia U19 team being Australian born.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Cook
Stokes
Bell
Pieterson
Root
Ballance
Broad (just)

For people putting Robson how can he play for England when he has already played for Australia U19 team being Australian born.
He's England Qualified so that he could play for Middlesex properly. It may have been a decision taken with finances in mind and not the heart but it is what it is. They may well put him in for a test to get him sewn up for England as he can still also play for Aus.

Broad is not and never will be a test match 7. He is a basher who plays the occasionally masterful trolling innings.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Cook
2. Robson
3. Compton
4. KP
5. Bell
6. Woakes
7. Stokes
8. Buttler +
9. Borthwick
10. Broad