• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Monty V Swann

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
So was having a look at the figures the last ten innings that Monty & Swann have played together.

I just had a hunch that it always felt like Cook turned to Monty more, usually before Swann and he bowled better?

These are the stats - make interesting reading. Is Monty the better bowler?

montyvswann.jpg

Spark

Global Moderator
No, as is quite obvious if you watch their styles of bowling and consider precisely why Panesar does well on those wickets.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
Which is what Spark?

Monty bowls more aggressively? I would have thought this made him more expensive but it seems he even offers more control than Swann when he has played?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Monty bowls quicker and flatter, and relies more on natural variation off the pitch, while Swann relies more on changes of pace, flight and deception through the air (although he also benefits from natural variation). Generally natural variation is more pronounced on turning pitches - such as the ones played on in the OPs statistics, and because Monty makes more use of natural variation he is able to benefit more from its effects than Swann. However Swann is able to be more effective than Monty on pitches offering less turn because he uses flight and changes of pace to a greater degree and puts more revolutions on the ball, not only this but he is very dangerous on turning pitches as well. Hence Swann is considered the better bowler because he is effective in a variety of conditions moreso than Monty

Spark

Global Moderator
Yep. It's like saying a pacer is better than another because their numbers are better on greentops but only greentops.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Was there any thought to include wickets or bowling average in the analysis? All those figures suggest is that Panesar keeps an end tidy.

91Jmay

International Coach
Both are good bowlers, but Monty is a accurate tie and end down type bowler who gets wickets on decks that suit him where as Swann is a genuine wicket taker in most conditions.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
montyvswann.jpg

Took it a bit further.

Swann has a better strike rate, basically gets a wicket every 9.2 overs whereas Monty gets a wicket every 11.3 overs, although Monty has a better economy.

I am not trying to say Monty is better than Swann - just intrigued as to what the stats said when I was thinking about it last night/this morning.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Sure, but it's not a fair comparison of stats if they only come from SC conditions given that Monty's bowling style suits them more, it is interesting, but you couldn't make a proper judgement of their overall bowling based on those stats

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
It is difficult to properly compare when Monty is only really called upon in the Winter tests.

Would love to see him given a go at home next summer if we look to give Swann a rest before the WC.. who knows.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And obviously there are other factors, as their respective fielding efforts demonstrated e arlier today. I could be persuaded that Panesar might possess a greater threat than Swann against their phalanx of right handers, but there's a helluva cost in other ways.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
So was having a look at the figures the last ten innings that Monty & Swann have played together.

I just had a hunch that it always felt like Cook turned to Monty more, usually before Swann and he bowled better?

These are the stats - make interesting reading. Is Monty the better bowler?

View attachment 20982
No more so than Mcgill was better than Warne cause he often came out with better figures when they both played together.

A spinner's true colours show when he is THE spinner the side have to turn to

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Remember when Panesar was lead spinner in New Zealand? Remember how well that went?

If you didn't, it was 130 overs, 5 for 350.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One thing that I fail to understand is where the notion of Monty being an attacking bowler has come from.

Using yesterday as an example (and it seems to be typical of his bowling), until the last 2 overs where he slowed his pace, he basically bowled the same ball at the same pace over and over again

Might not be bad bowling but it is hardly the most attacking/innovative display that I have ever seen

Swann, on the other hand, seems to be prepared to try lots of different things to take wickets - that is a far more attacking strategy IMO

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I would say it is a generally held opinion that Swann is a much more attacking bowler than Monty. Part of his ability to take wickets on pitches that aren't rank turners.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Massive disparity between the left/right averages for both.

Swann something like low/mid-20s v left and mid-30s v right
Panesar high 20s v right, something like 50 v left

EDIT - I've not studied any of the charts posted in this thread (in fact I haven't looked at them) so apologies if I am duplicating info

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
And obviously there are other factors, as their respective fielding efforts demonstrated e arlier today. I could be persuaded that Panesar might possess a greater threat than Swann against their phalanx of right handers, but there's a helluva cost in other ways.
I agree, also their batting value is important. As for the better bowler, I think Swann has the better variety and also looks the most dangerous.