Cricket Player Manager
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: England Tour Squad for Australia

3 tons against a crap attack shouldn't count against him though.

How many tons have the others scored against crap attacks? It's a fairly valid point that the number 6 position hasn't been snatched up by anyone, leaving aside Root.

Didn't they try Samit Patel there? Is he really that much better than Bopara?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    They shouldn't be taken as a big thing to say he deserves a call up now, when he's failed miserably both before and since and they were over 4 years ago. The difference is the others have scored runs against good attacks as well.

Patel only really played to add another spin option really but I'd say he's still a better bet than Ravi.
    Last edited by marc71178; 04-09-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    The difference is the others have scored runs against good attacks as well.
    who are these others?

School Boy/Girl Captain

I'm struggling to see where he's played 3 games when Dale Steyn's been involved so not sure what you're trying to say there.
    The last three test matches he played. There was two against India and then the last one was against SA. Anyway I'd forgotten he withdrew for personal reasons. My bad.

Still think he should be in the squad though.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    who are these others?
    Well Bell and Trott were the 2 mentioned originally and I think it's safe to say that they have.

Quote Originally Posted by jackbyrne91 View Post
    The last three test matches he played. There was two against India and then the last one was against SA. Anyway I'd forgotten he withdrew for personal reasons. My bad.
    Worth noting that he only played the 2 matches against India as an injury replacement for Trott, so wasn't dropped so much as Trott regained fitness.

Still think he should be in the squad though.
    Based off one ODI innings against Ireland? In that case Morgan should be ahead of him.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Yes Marc but I think it was unfair to judge Bopara's efforts against India given that he only batted twice, and once the score was at 600/4 and the other the score was 500/5.

Based on the fact that I think he is a talented player and I think his efforts over the past year have shown a different temperament. He averages 82.33 this year in ODI Cricket and has had a pretty good summer.

I'm not fully advocating selecting someone based soley on their ODI form but it is clear Bopara has talent, he has struggled to use it in the past and had problems definitely, but I don't see him doing any worse than Bairstow's recent efforts?

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Yes Marc but I think it was unfair to judge Bopara's efforts against India given that he only batted twice, and once the score was at 600/4 and the other the score was 500/5.

Based on the fact that I think he is a talented player and I think his efforts over the past year have shown a different temperament. He averages 82.33 this year in ODI Cricket and has had a pretty good summer.

I'm not fully advocating selecting someone based soley on their ODI form but it is clear Bopara has talent, he has struggled to use it in the past and had problems definitely, but I don't see him doing any worse than Bairstow's recent efforts?
    He has done well in ODI's, leave him in that side then and don't consider him for tests. He has a crap record in tests and has technical faults that get exposed. Just let him go to Australia to be part of the ODI and T20 squads not the test one.

That's irrelevant because he was only playing as an injury replacement - it's like the great Aussie side of recent times, if someone was injured, the replacement only got one game no matter how well they did because they hadn't done enough to warrant a regular spot.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Well it's not irrelevant is it. My point was Bopara has never been given a prolonged run in the team. Other than the West Indies series at home (2 tests) he has not played a full test series batting in the same position. Regardless of whether Trott was injured or not, Bopara hasn't been given a proper go.

He is not a test number 3. I wouldn't put him there now. We were desperate against the Aussies in 2009 and stuck Bopara in, but looking back at it now it was a bloody awful decision and one that could cost Bopara a proper crack at the whip.

Right, so now you're saying he's not a number 3 yet his only ever success was at number 3, or was that because of the luck/bowling/pitch that contributed to the 3 tons.

He's never looked like deserving a "proper crack at the whip" and since he was dropped in 2009 hasn't done anything in FC cricket to justify forcing his way back in.

Keep him where he is, the ODI side/squad and he should be happy that he at least has that.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    What I was saying from the start was that Bopara has never been given a fair crack of the whip. I don't think that's wrong as he hasn't. End of.

I'm not talking about stats, figures, 100s whatever. He just hasn't been told "heres a minimum of 8 tests, batting at 6, go out and don't worry about being dropped, just be yourself".

Well Bell and Trott were the 2 mentioned originally and I think it's safe to say that they have.
    other players at number 6.

England are 5/6 batsmen confirmed, right?

of the contenders for the 6th spot, who has solidified their position?

I do think that Taylor and others have more of a right of trial than Bopara, but I don't think that he should be completely out of the picture given that noone has produced the goods as of yet.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    How many players play tests, get dropped, do well in odis then get picked for tests again and do well? Can't think think of any atm.

The point is, scoring runs in ODIs is what was expected of him when he was picked in the ODI side. He's not gone above and beyond the call of duty by doing that or proven the selectors wrong in any way. He proved them right ffs; he's supposed to do that. If he wants to get back in the Test side then he's going to need to score some bloody Championship runs.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information