• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Kerrigan bowling pies kind of justified the Woakes selection more though. I shudder to think what we would have done today had Bairstow played instead of him.
Root would have got a lot of overs.

I genuinely feel bad for the guy. It also makes you appreciate having Swann. We will eventually need a long term replacement but I hope he goes on until he's 40.

As much as I want us to roll Oz with the new ball tomorrow I would like to see him given another go. Just to prove he can do it.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah it's tough for Kerrigan.

The idea of selecting players for the conditions is good in theory but the number of times one hears the commentators surprised at how the pitch is playing after the first few overs really questions whether they're giving these guys a fair go.

It's worse for spinners too. "Dry pitch" is usually synonymous with "road" these days because they pretty much never break up. Guys like Kerrigan are probably much better than they look.

That said he failed his role to keep it tight on the first day.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Obviously Australia's day, but we still need to perform well tomorrow. Given all our bowlers know which way to hold up a bat at least, I feel we can.

Watto, WAG. Never doubted him :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pretty poor from Bob and Corky on the verdict today. It's all good disagreeing with selection, but if they can't genuinely work out why the two new boys played then I seriously question their ability as analysts of the game. Pretty poor to question whether England are taking the game seriously as well. It's an Ashes test FFS. I feel like I can hear "complacent" again in the back of my heard when I hear people say this team wouldn't have been picked if it was one all.
It wouldn't have been picked if it was 1-1, but surely the final Test when you're 3-0 up is the ideal time to look at players?

Both selections absolutely make sense from a team balance POV.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel kind of sick saying it but my opinion of Watson may have actually improved a little bit. I mean that was a seriously good knock. We bowled pretty damn well all day (minus the obvious) and he got through that blow to the head. Seriously fair do's, although so long overdue it isn't funny (it is funny).
If Twatto had half a brain (which he obviously doesn't given how he got up after being pole-axed by Broad), he'd be averaging a minimum of 45 in test cricket

Guy has serious talent and far lesser players have been able to overcome technical problems via mental toughness

Australian fans can only hope that this gives him confidence and that he starts doing justice to his ability for a while

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Ponting had the exact same issue with his front pad.

He just made sure he aggressively got outside the line, sometimes before, sometimes after impact. He was good at making it look like it hit outside the line.

Burgey

I haven't seen any of the play after lunch but well done Watson. Been a long time coming but got to give him credit.

It's interesting hearing from commentary reports that the pitch is flat. After Swann bowled his first three overs they were saying the pitch was a massive turner for day one because a couple bit and spun. I gather it really didn't turn that much, all things considered?

social

It wouldn't have been picked if it was 1-1, but surely the final Test when you're 3-0 up is the ideal time to look at players?

Both selections absolutely make sense from a team balance POV.
Made sense from team balance perspective but is anyone really surprised at how they performed?

Woakes has added a little bit of pace but is still gun-barrel straight whilst Kerrigan, although horribly affected by nerves, is Xavier Doherty Mk II (and I am being incredibly generous with that rating) that has the benefit of playing his home matches on a dust bowl

social

I haven't seen any of the play after lunch but well done Watson. Been a long time coming but got to give him credit.

It's interesting hearing from commentary reports that the pitch is flat. After Swann bowled his first three overs they were saying the pitch was a massive turner for day one because a couple bit and spun. I gather it really didn't turn that much, all things considered?
Good for batting but definitely something in it for all bowlers

Problem for England was that they only had 3 bowlers that were in any way threatening and were forced to bowl Jimmeh, Broad and Swann more than they would have liked

Burgey

Good for batting but definitely something in it for all bowlers

Problem for England was that they only had 3 bowlers that were in any way threatening and were forced to bowl Jimmeh, Broad and Swann more than they would have liked
Cheers. Hopefully we can manage 400-450 from here which would be a good effort for a line up with the keeper batting six.

Hopefully Lyon bowls close to his best. Should grab a few poles if he does.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Starceh and Forkers running all over the pitch will help Lyon and Swann get some turn, the sky team thought day 3 would be a big turner

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Surprised myself by feeling really pleased for Watson. Despite everything he's done over the past...decade, it's always nice to see a player who's been completely written off suddenly jump up and produce a brilliant performance.

benchmark00

Interesting to note that Shane Watson has a higher batting average and better bowling average than Andrew Flintoff.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Flintoff didn't bat in the top order.

Which works 2 ways:
i) fewer opportunities for big innings *
ii) he wasn't taking up the spot of a potentially better top order batsman.

*this is not to say I think Flintoff is a better batsman or would have scored more runs had he batted up the order, because I don't. Just that the argument can be made. Although it could be argued that top order batsmen have a tougher job etc etc.

Burgey

Just watched the highlights. Watson really did well to even continue after copping that bouncer from Broad. That was a cracker. Also, great catch by Pietersen to get rid of him in the deep.\

And the People's Champ is still there. God Bless him.