• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Hooksey

Banned
Incorrect, they made sure Australia wouldn't win, something Australia seem to have forgotten how to do.
Australia arrived in England a shambles and returned with renewed confidence because England are reluctant to pull the trigger lest the gun might misfire. England's lack of self-belief is its glass ceiling. Australia now looking forward to the return series with confidence.

Last edited:

wiff

First Class Debutant
I think the difference is that test wasn't a dead rubber, this test was. If the test wasn't a dead rubber and Australia was ahead in the series I reckon Clarke would probably shut up shop.

The reward of 3-1 outweighs the risk of 4-0 IMO.
Yes, what a difference if Clarkey had been at 2-1 in front. I don't think he would of been so gung ho. I fully expected England to show no compromise, and I'm sure Steve Waugh used to grind the opposition into dust, batting on and on to eliminate the possibilty of losing first. Let's not forget that a whole day was lost, so the spectacle was diminished. If we had the extra day, the unfolding events would of been much more gripping. England trying to hold on, while the Aussies desperate for a win. The last day fiasco was due to the weather.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
England are the better test team right now and it's not about hand eye coordination at that level. It plays a part but you don't have to be Bradman, Warne or McGrath to contribute. We're we are weak is in having enough players with the heart to fight hard when the chips are down. The reasons for this are hard to pinpoint. I'm sure T20 and ODIs along with the cash around have played a role but that can't be all of it. I grew up watching Border, Boon and Steve Waugh tough it out for the team. Maybe the younger guys just don't have that reference point.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
England are the better test team right now and it's not about hand eye coordination at that level. It plays a part but you don't have to be Bradman, Warne or McGrath to contribute. We're we are weak is in having enough players with the heart to fight hard when the chips are down. The reasons for this are hard to pinpoint. I'm sure T20 and ODIs along with the cash around have played a role but that can't be all of it. I grew up watching Border, Boon and Steve Waugh tough it out for the team. Maybe the younger guys just don't have that reference point.
England are the better team now because the Australian team lacks Test experience. You mention Steve Waugh but he wasn't anything special in his first 20 odd Test matches, not that many people are.

We are currently playing 7 out of 11 players with under 30 Test matches. You could argue that Harris and Rogers are experienced enough in first class cricket so don't count, but that still leaves 5 players who are finding their feet at the international level. England have 8 players with over 45 Test matches in their best XI. Its great that they are blooding a couple of younger players but they are still probably the weak links in the team because they aren't so consistent. England are a professional, experienced outfit, Australia are trying hard to be but are currently not.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hooksey, the Aussies have just lost their 3rd consecutive Ashes series by 3 - zip............worry about your own ****ing tactics mate because Englands seem to be working just fine.
You'll probably think I'm picking on you judging by how you reacted when I dared agree with someone who suggested this before, but I only bother making this post to you because the majority of your posts are good. I make this post not as a moderator giving you instructions, but merely as a senior member giving you advice.

That was a terrible post, and exactly the sort of thing that we pride ourselves on CW of not having much of. I actually fully agree with you that Hooksey's opinion on this issue is complete bollocks and I made that clear before he even posted it, but that's because of the content of his argument and not the team he supports. I have severe doubts over whether he actually watched Day 3 judging by his posts and his false bravado is something that I think will hold Australian cricket back quite a bit in a time of not having the best team in the world. However, CW is not a place where we have our own mini-Ashes, arguing the case for our nation and trying to defeat the 'opposition' posters, so dismissing his opinion as invalid merely because the team he happens to follow lost 3-0 is straight up warmongering. The competition happens out on the field and you'd be a far better contributor if you didn't see the match threads as yet another competition.

Your role as a member here is not to defend or promote your team, but to discuss the events with other serious cricket fans. Treating everyone who happens to follow Australia as if they're the same person, making several posts about "Aussie posters" as if they all share the same opinions and replying to people as they're walking novelty-sized Australian flags will make the forum an awful place. That was Howe's point when he told you that GotSpin and LongHopCassidy were in fact different people, and that's my point again when I'm telling you that Hooksey's post was poor because he was chatting **** and not because his team lost 3-0. He's perfectly entitled to have an opinion on England's tactics and captaincy whether or not the side he supports is winning or not; it's just a shame he decided to use that entitlement to sprout chest-beating rubbish. I think you're better than doing that though.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel in spite of this that England were a little out-maneuvered and out-thought at times though (think, plans to Cook/Prior/Trott), and some of the Australian talent on show was arguably a little better than England's at times. But as we've all said, England stepped up when it mattered and ultimately the settled nature of their team was hugely important.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I feel in spite of this that England were a little out-maneuvered and out-thought at times though (think, plans to Cook/Prior/Trott), and some of the Australian talent on show was arguably a little better than England's at times. But as we've all said, England stepped up when it mattered and ultimately the settled nature of their team was hugely important.
In fairness you don't need a plan to most of the Aussie top 6 beyond 'hit the cut strip'.

England's plans to Clarke were as good as any of Australia's plans ftr.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Very fair.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
That's not to say that England didn't have good tactical moves (Clarke plans as GF said) and moments of brilliance either. They played some superb cricket at times (Bell, Anderson/Swann/Broad) all putting awesome performances in at different points.

Hooksey

Banned
You'll probably think I'm picking on you judging by how you reacted when I dared agree with someone who suggested this before, but I only bother making this post to you because the majority of your posts are good. I make this post not as a moderator giving you instructions, but merely as a senior member giving you advice.

That was a terrible post, and exactly the sort of thing that we pride ourselves on CW of not having much of. I actually fully agree with you that Hooksey's opinion on this issue is complete bollocks and I made that clear before he even posted it, but that's because of the content of his argument and not the team he supports. I have severe doubts over whether he actually watched Day 3 judging by his posts and his false bravado is something that I think will hold Australian cricket back quite a bit in a time of not having the best team in the world. However, CW is not a place where we have our own mini-Ashes, arguing the case for our nation and trying to defeat the 'opposition' posters, so dismissing his opinion as invalid merely because the team he happens to follow lost 3-0 is straight up warmongering. The competition happens out on the field and you'd be a far better contributor if you didn't see the match threads as yet another competition.

Your role as a member here is not to defend or promote your team, but to discuss the events with other serious cricket fans. Treating everyone who happens to follow Australia as if they're the same person, making several posts about "Aussie posters" as if they all share the same opinions and replying to people as they're walking novelty-sized Australian flags will make the forum an awful place. That was Howe's point when he told you that GotSpin and LongHopCassidy were in fact different people, and that's my point again when I'm telling you that Hooksey's post was poor because he was chatting **** and not because his team lost 3-0. He's perfectly entitled to have an opinion on England's tactics and captaincy whether or not the side he supports is winning or not; it's just a shame he decided to use that entitlement to sprout chest-beating rubbish. I think you're better than doing that though.
As you said, we all entitled to discuss the events here. But your "I have severe doubts over whether he (Hooksey) actually watched Day 3" is, to put it in your jargon, "complete bollocks".

Thanks for the luke warm welcome though.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
How is Hooksey's opinion even remotely "chest-beating"? He straight out said the opposition are more talented ffs

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As you said, we all entitled to discuss the events here. But your "I have severe doubts over whether he (Hooksey) actually watched Day 3" is, to put it in your jargon, "complete bollocks".

Thanks for the luke warm welcome though.
I'll take your word for it that you watched the play because I don't think I've ever been more infuriated on here than when someone kept assuming I hadn't watched much cricket lately just because I disagreed with them despite the fact that I watch more cricket than I'm even really happy to admit. So it was slightly poor form on my part to make the assumption that your poor post was borne of not watching the game rather than poor analysis. :ph34r:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Worst apology ever.

Hooksey on debut has been solid.
Indeed - I have been admiring a couple of his posts and wondering who is the new guy. If he is an Aussie it is good to see one who is here to give cerebral insights on cricket rather than an audition as a talk show host.