• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't really bet but half an hour ago the odds flashed up as they do on cricinfo and I was more interested by the odds for australia winning. The closer England get the more they have to go for it even if they lose wickets. Maybe it's the English mentality that's always pessimistic. But Australia as they are now at 125-1 seems like value. It wouldn't be outside the bounds of comprehension to imagine that England got within range and were so close that they had to keep going for it and kept losing wickets as a result. Say potentially needing 30 off the last 4 with 5 wickets in hand. They collapse and Aus win by 5 runs.
Nah don't see it, if we're 6 wickets down we shut up shop.

No big reason to go for it.

grecian

So if we lose a wicket now do you keep the same batting order or send in someone else, would be tempted to promote Prior, simply because he looked in form this morning.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah its good for the crowd and the sport but not for the Australian Cricket Team. We go on about our bowling attack being really good and its just up to our batters to perform, why are we struggling in this sort of situation. If you draw away from home, its not a bad thing.
Well as far as I'm concerned that takes precedence. Yeah it's obv great if the results are better for your team, but at the same time, if I had to choose between watching us play out a draw from the onset of the second innings, vs this scenario (resulting in an England win), I'd take the latter any day of the week. I'm not really understanding a lot of the Eng fan comments here tbh - not sure if they are just meant to be mocking Warne, but, I mean, the fact is a positive approach to the match has resulted in you being a damn lot more entertained than you would have been otherwise, so I don't see why that can be appreciated for what it is.

Pothas

So if we lose a wicket now do you keep the same batting order or send in someone else, would be tempted to promote Prior, simply because he looked in form this morning.
Maybe if KP is out. If it is Trott then Bell will do fine.

Prior definetly got to bat above Woakes though.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Well as far as I'm concerned that takes precedence. Yeah it's obv great if the results are better for your team, but at the same time, if I had to choose between watching us play out a draw from the onset of the second innings, vs this scenario (resulting in an England win), I'd take the latter any day of the week. I'm not really understanding a lot of the Eng fan comments here tbh - not sure if they are just meant to be mocking Warne, but, I mean, the fact is a positive approach to the match has resulted in you being a damn lot more entertained than you would have been otherwise, so I don't see why that can be appreciated for what it is.
I've just been looking at an Australian Board.

Some are pissing in the wind about 'moral success' but would still peg you out for the vultures.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good on Clarke opening the game up. Makes for a good end to the series.

Harris to jag a couple here and become leading wicket taker for the series.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently this Bell bloke plays the late cut. You never see it these days*

*except in evey ODI