• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Harris
First-class 62 96 15 1539 94 19.00 2541 60.56 0 8

Pattinson
First-class 28 36 8 575 66 20.53 1495 38.46 0 1

Comparing FC
Harris 8 half centuries to Patto 1
HS Harris 96 verses Patto 66
Patto marginally better AV
Harris did most of his best work with the bat when he was a lot younger and bowling medium pace; he had to provide something with the bat to get picked in FC cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Does Spikey prefer this evidence?

Yeah that's a far more accurate representation of what we should expect from Khawaja at Test level; if you bowl short or on his hip he will murder you but if you bowl full outside off - even bordering on half-volleys - then you'll tie him down completely until he inevitably edges one. His scoring weakness being in the exact same area as his defensive weakness is in stark contrast to Hughes who will punish you if you don't execute your plans quite right, and the fact that he also struggles to get himself off strike makes him a bowling coach's wet dream.

Definitely capable of scoring runs and looking classy while doing so but I don't think England in England is the most likely of suitors for that. I'd stick with Cowan but I don't see it making too much difference either way.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely capable of scoring runs and looking classy while doing so but I don't think England in England is the most likely of suitors for that. I'd stick with Cowan but I don't see it making too much difference either way.
this is where I stand and the important thing for me is, will they drop Usman after one game? Cause I'd be totally be fine with Warner coming straight back in at 3 if he plays even one half decent knock while he's away. but will they wanna give Usman an extended chance?

King Pietersen

International Captain
So excited for the start of this Test match. No better sporting event than an Ashes Test match at Lords. Just hope we pick Graham Onions, in place of Finn.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Will Baa boi's blind faith in Finn be justified? Should be dropped IMO.
Jeez Pieman......still haven't learnt to read mate!!

I've said that I'm torn on the selection and I don't think it's a clear cut as some may think........certainly no blind faith in it. I will not be disappointed if it's a straight swap Finn for Onions but I also won't' be disappointed necessarily if Finn plays. Will be slightly concerned if it's Finn for Bresnan though......just don't think we'll see the Bres from 3 years ago again.....sadly.

Anyway, in Flower/Saker I trust.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'd have stuck with Cowan, but only so that it makes it easier to bring Warner in if he gets some time in the middle. Bringing Uzzie in means you'd have to drop someone after one game to get Warner in for Old Trafford.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
this is where I stand and the important thing for me is, will they drop Usman after one game? Cause I'd be totally be fine with Warner coming straight back in at 3 if he plays even one half decent knock while he's away. but will they wanna give Usman an extended chance?
Yeah, that's the thing. Warner's a better bat than either Khawaja or Cowan, but they've decided to make him unavailable here so he can get a game under his belt. If Khawaja comes in here then it'll make it really hard to immediately drop him after one Test regardless of what he scores, whereas Cowan could very justifiably be dropped for Warner after this Test if he doesn't do much.

I guess you really shouldn't be making selections for a Test just to make your job easier for the next one though.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
eh aside from the fact he just doesn't bother to explain the headline in the article (which is clearly a bit of sensationalism), I don't think there's anything particularly outrageous there. At least he acknowledges England's strengths, and doesn't just brush them off like they have "no quality" or some other bs.
I don't think any serious English cricket journalist is saying that about Australia, it is just a few former players.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Really feeling for Scaly here. Sky are basically just doing a piece on who to pick for the 3rd seamer and they're just making it a comparison between Finn and Bresnan. It's like they've forgotten that Onions is in the squad.

Oh he gets a brief mention. Hurrah!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Jeez Pieman......still haven't learnt to read mate!!

I've said that I'm torn on the selection and I don't think it's a clear cut as some may think........certainly no blind faith in it. I will not be disappointed if it's a straight swap Finn for Onions but I also won't' be disappointed necessarily if Finn plays. Will be slightly concerned if it's Finn for Bresnan though......just don't think we'll see the Bres from 3 years ago again.....sadly.

Anyway, in Flower/Saker I trust.
Yeah, I'd see it that way too. Bottom line is we're not quite as well endowed with 3rd seamers as we thought a couple of years ago, and you could make arguments against all of the options. They're probably tempted to play Tremlett, but I think it's too soon.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really feeling for Scaly here. Sky are basically just doing a piece on who to pick for the 3rd seamer and they're just making it a comparison between Finn and Bresnan. It's like they've forgotten that Onions is in the squad.

Oh he gets a brief mention. Hurrah!
Really want him to play just to see Scaly's reaction. I am not sure he would know what to do.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Tremlett's been very heavily involved in the warm-up apparently. Don't think he'll play today, but 3rd Test match I reckon he'll definitely be in the squad. Would love to see him in the team today, but I'm for either Onions or Finn. Don't want to see Bresnan in the XI.

Warney :D Nice to see him back, enjoy listening to him in the comm box.