• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

the big bambino

International Captain
The comparison was crap. The difference btwn Swann and Lyon is about 5 runs a wicket. Swann distinctly the better bowler but you can't say Lyon is as far from him as Giles was from Warne. Which some posters have suggested. So out comes the selective comparison to make a 5 run discrepancy btwn the 2 seem like a 13 run difference in averages to justify what was only ever an over heated hyperbole.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think it is fair to say a better scenario is the gap between Warne and Swann is similar to the gap between Swann and Lyon with Giles trailing in a workmanlike 4th way behind.

Daemon

The gap between Warne and Swann is insanely massive. The gap between Swann and Lyon is just that one's a test standard bowler, the other is not.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
its funny how the selectors havent learned any lessons despite being a completely new panel, in terms of dicking around spinners. they didnt even listen to huss' advice. he anointed lyon but they thought they knew better.
So what's the common theme? Only Clarke and he gave it in.

flibbertyjibber

The gap between Warne and Swann is insanely massive. The gap between Swann and Lyon is just that one's a test standard bowler, the other is not.
Well actually the gap is 25.4 - 28.1 - 33.1 - 40.6 so by those Swann is actually closer to Warne than Lyon is to Swann with Giles way back. I allowed a little poetic license as no sane person would ever claim Swann is in the same league as Warne but the fact is Swann has a GREAT test record for a spinner in the last 30 years and there aren't many with a better one outside of Warne and Murali. He deserves a bit more respect than he is being given by you crims especially as he is well on his way to playing a decent part in a 3rd successive ashes series win.

flibbertyjibber

Oooops 8-)

Still stand by it, Swann is given too much **** by the crims and others on here simply because he is English and a bit of a character. Look at what he did to India in India, not many foreign spinners go there and do that do they?

91Jmay

International Coach
Well actually the gap is 25.4 - 28.1 - 33.1 - 40.6 so by those Swann is actually closer to Warne than Lyon is to Swann with Giles way back. I allowed a little poetic license as no sane person would ever claim Swann is in the same league as Warne but the fact is Swann has a GREAT test record for a spinner in the last 30 years and there aren't many with a better one outside of Warne and Murali. He deserves a bit more respect than he is being given by you crims especially as he is well on his way to playing a decent part in a 3rd successive ashes series win.
This in spades, guess that the Crims have forgotten what a spinner looks like. To be fair if I had to put up with Xavier Doherty, Nathan Hauritz, Bryce Mcgain, Michael Beer, Ashton Agar and Nathan Lyon I think I would be a bit bitter as well.

flibbertyjibber

Ok simple fact Rafa Benitez style here.

The only spin bowlers in the history of test cricket to take more wickets at a lower average than Swann currently has are Murali, Warne, Underwood and Benaud. Pick the bones out of that one.

Such a poor bowler isn't he.

Daemon

Just ****ing with you flibb, I just hate Swann for non cricketing reasons. I even have an avatar bet with cabinet that he's going to be the best english bowler this series.

But seriously, he's not that great tbh.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just ****ing with you flibb, I just hate Swann for non cricketing reasons. I even have an avatar bet with cabinet that he's going to be the best english bowler this series.

But seriously, he's not that great tbh.
He is when you factor in his batting (albeit he's massively underachieved with the bat in Test cricket), his slip fielding and what he brings to the dressing room (Ashes diaries).

outbreak

First Class Debutant
so it looks like the people who said english fans wouldn't get worked up if we started hating on swann were wrong...

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Aha comparing Lyon to Swann as if they are of equal quality.

Swann in India 20 @24.74
Lyon in India 15 @ 37.33
I'm not saying that Lyon is as good as Swann now. I'm saying he could become as good as Swann.

Also, Swann had the massive advantage of runs to bowl at in India. Lyon didn't have that.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This in spades, guess that the Crims have forgotten what a spinner looks like. To be fair if I had to put up with Xavier Doherty, Nathan Hauritz, Bryce Mcgain, Michael Beer, Ashton Agar and Nathan Lyon I think I would be a bit bitter as well.
The same Nathan Hauritz that wasn't too far away from Swann in the last Ashes series in England?

91Jmay

International Coach
The same Nathan Hauritz that wasn't too far away from Swann in the last Ashes series in England?
Hauritz had a good series by his standards and Swann had a bad one by his, that does happen. Although that said I was uneasy about putting Haurtiz in that group, always thought he was a tidy cricketer. Certainly not a Michael Beer.