• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentary thread

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith did compare Khawaja to Gower and a right-handed Mark Waugh though.

And i love Blowers, **** you all.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strauss gives good insights but he might be too new, he's a little guilty of cheerleading sometimes, though in his defence he's nowhere near as bad about it as Channel 9.

Most of the Sky team are good except for Bumble and Beefy. Much better than the Channel 9 team.

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Yeah, I've really noticed it this test and as much as I used to enjoy him, he's just not up to it anymore. And Ed Smith has been great, his comments about the game seeming flat after the collapse were so true.
You can tell whoever is sat with Blowers can find it quite awkward, Tufnell corrects him a fair bit but a lot of them don't, i guess its not really worth bothering because hes ****s it up so frequently it would be a bit humiliating for him to be corrected every minute or so.

Spikey

Strauss gives good insights but he might be too new, he's a little guilty of cheerleading sometimes, though in his defence he's nowhere near as bad about it as Channel 9.
speaking of which, i'm certain hussey will be nowhere near as good as strauss

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Smith did compare Khawaja to Gower and a right-handed Mark Waugh though.

And i love Blowers, **** you all.
:D, Im the same with Boycott, he is a **** but he speaks sense and hes not afraid to ditch the excuses and tell it how it is which is so so important, Who wants bland commentators who tow the line and are scared to offend?

Uppercut

Boycott talks sense on some things but it's ruined to an extent by his pathological hatred of aggressive batting. His criticism of batsmen that get out playing an aggressive shot is way OTT (although tbf yesterday it was probably justified).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also everything Boycott says can be translated to 'wasn't Geoff Boycott the greatest player the world's ever seen'.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
5 minutes of Boycott on the little end of day podcast is more than a sufficent amount for me.

Do really miss listening to Vic Marks though, guy is just class.

burr

State Vice-Captain
:D, Im the same with Boycott, he is a **** but he speaks sense and hes not afraid to ditch the excuses and tell it how it is which is so so important, Who wants bland commentators who tow the line and are scared to offend?
His comments about Watson's body and brains were quite amusing.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Listening to TMS for the first time in ages........how the **** can anyone enjoy Blowers?? He's hurting my ears!!

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never enjoyed BLowers myself to be honest irksome without adding any real insight.
Yep, don't buy him myself, the fact is England had a lot of eccentric characters full-of-fun that came out of the war. They thrived through commentary for various sports, with a sense of joy from watching something they love after such hellish times, and by showing that in descriptions.

Blowers just comes across as a poor affectation. Also Johnners and Arlott were well known despite their humour in always getting the commentary in clearly and accurately, something Henry fails to do constantly.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I guess its the fact that 2 wickets could potentially happen in 2 balls, whereas it would take a while to add loadsa runs to the score. Still get what you're saying though but then I guess a lot of these saying are pretty inane when you think about them.
Give Australia time to conclude their research - they're working on ways to lose 3 wickets in 2 balls.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Always find that any sense spoken by Boycott is offset by the way he has to repeat the same point about a hundred times before letting someone else speak. I don't really mind him, but he is a bit of a windbag.

Prefer him to Michael Vaughan anyway, who is just utterly terrible.

Chubb

International Regular
Strauss has some good insight but I find his voice too plummy for commentary. It isn't his fault but he could use some elocution lessons ... although they will just teach him to talk the way he does already. He sounds like a modern privately-educated Tory with. Which of course he is. As I say there is nothing wrong with that and judging him by the way he talks would be like having a go at Nasser for sounding like an Essex boy, but to me it doesn't work on commentary. People with posh accents can be great commentators but there's something about Strauss' accent which doesn't work.

91Jmay

International Coach
A few of the ex-player England commentators are starting to annoy me with jokes about how **** they all were. Hussain does it and its quite funny, Atherton does it and it seems a bit silly because he was quite a good player and now I've started to hear Strauss do it. Gower and Botham don't bother obvious because that would be ridiculous, but why do they all feel the need to pretend they were all number 11's with the bat?