View Poll Results: Who would you drop for KP?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave him out

0 0%
  • Captain Cook

0 0%
  • Straight outta Compton

10 47.62%
  • Trott

0 0%
  • Bell

1 4.76%
  • Root

0 0%
  • Bairstow

10 47.62%
  • Swann

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8th thread - who should make way for KP?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

8th thread - who should make way for KP?

Simple enough question really. With 3 rookies in the side you'd imagine one of them would make way but I'm sure some people would like to see Bell get the chop, or maybe even Trott?

The poll should account for all options, so I'm assuming you don't think he should keep or bowl seam-up.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Hate to say it but it still has to be Bairstow. They have gone for Compton as opener and he should get the first two ashes tests at least.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It really ought to be Bell, but sadly I expect flibberty to be proved right

Trott.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I voted for Bell to piss off Adders, but it'll be bairstow.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Simple enough question really. With 3 rookies in the side you'd imagine one of them would make way but I'm sure some people would like to see Bell get the chop, or maybe even Trott?

The poll should account for all options, so I'm assuming you don't think he should keep or bowl seam-up.
    Could drop Prior and make Bairstow keep tbf. And yes, I'll show myself out for the silly suggestion

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I didn't think of that

I personally think it would be ridiculous to drop either Trott or Bell at this point, experience is one of our advantage going into this Ashes and I wouldn't want to throw that away and play three unproven bats in the top six if we can help it. And it's not like there's that much distinction on Compton or Bairstow's form when compared with those two (obviously Compton has the recent tons under his belt)

I was leaning towards dropping Compton and getting Root to open, but Bairstow got out after a good start and his issues towards bounce worry me. I'm on the fence but I think it's Bairstow who makes way at this point.

Assuming we get one, our second innings may persuade me otherwise.

It'll be JB but I'd boot Compton itbt
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

I didn't think of that

I personally think it would be ridiculous to drop either Trott or Bell at this point, experience is one of our advantage going into this Ashes and I wouldn't want to throw that away and play three unproven bats in the top six if we can help it. And it's not like there's that much distinction on Compton or Bairstow's form when compared with those two (obviously Compton has the recent tons under his belt)

I was leaning towards dropping Compton and getting Root to open, but Bairstow got out after a good start and his issues towards bounce worry me. I'm on the fence but I think it's Bairstow who makes way at this point.

I thini experience is over-rated.

Plus Trott just really annoys me for some reason.

Could drop Prior and make Bairstow keep obvz.
    EDIT: FU Cabinet. FU.

I didn't think of that

yes i can't imagine anyone is serious about dropping one of Trott or Bell before the ashes. Both have been average (even poor at times) for a while but both are significantly more accomplished allround players than anyone who will replace them.

The time will come after the ashes(either this summers or the winters) where if Trott or especially Bell failed England would have to move on from them. But as you say experience is one of the serious advantages we have for these two forthcoming series' and to get rid of either would be a horrible error gifting Australia a bigger chance than they currently have.

Can't help thinking that I would like Root to bat at 4 long term for England. Very decent against spin and always looking for runs. Probably a little too loose to be an opener (at present) but still accomplished against pace. Able to play aggresively or defensively dependent on situation and with a unruffled nature. He's got no.4 written all over it imo. Unfortunately England are gonna be an opener short when Compton goes sometime in the next few years and unless a Chopra steps up in the mean time Root may be the logical choice at the time.

To the original question of the thread. I would prey that Compton goes back to Somerset and scores runs. Root looks settled at 6 - I wouldn't want to throw him into an ashes test for the first time as an opener.
    Last edited by theegyptian; 26-05-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Root looks settled in the middle order rather than specifically at 6 as I say in the post. He obviously hasn;t been batting at 6 in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I voted for Bell to piss off Adders, but it'll be bairstow.
    You don't piss me off Burgey, your unfounded, nonsensical ramblings amuse me.

I'm most interested to see when this series does go South for your Baggy Greens, if you have the ticker to hang around or will you disappear in customary Australian cricket fan fashion.
    We are the army, the Barmy Army
    Oh we are mental, and we are mad
    We are the loyalest, cricket supporters
    That the world has ever had

http://youtu.be/bzcfFyh30_Y

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post

I'm most interested to see when this series does go South for your Baggy Greens, if you have the ticker to hang around or will you disappear in customary Australian cricket fan fashion.
    That's a laugh. I remember on another site we used to call a fair weather English fan Flintoff after that player's 2009 heroics. Mainly because he was front and centre when his team won but notably absent when they lost.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    That's a laugh. I remember on another site we used to call a fair weather English fan Flintoff after that player's 2009 heroics. Mainly because he was front and centre when his team won but notably absent when they lost.
    !!

We have to think of an Indian equivalent to call Turbinator.
    ~ Cribbage

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post

I'll be here mate, no matter the result. My teenage years were the 80s. If I was going to give up on Australian cricket, it would have been then. I was here when Australia lost last time and I'll be here when we win 4-0 this time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information