• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Got to think he won't play without any lead up cricket. So yeah Rogers opens and Khawaja gets a game at 6 is the most likely scenario.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think he'll play tbh. He was going like a busted. This gives them a good reason to leave him out, which should have happened anyway unless he turned his form around in the lead up games.

Rogers would surely be favourite to partner Cowan at the top now, with Watson at four, especially if the latter is bowling.

flibbertyjibber

I don't think he'll play tbh. He was going like a busted. This gives them a good reason to leave him out, which should have happened anyway unless he turned his form around in the lead up games.

Rogers would surely be favourite to partner Cowan at the top now, with Watson at four, especially if the latter is bowling.
Might HAVE to play though if Clarke doesn't get fit. Surely they have to call Bailey into the squad if only as cover for a few weeks?

Burgey

He's there anyway I suppose. Warner bats like a number six anyway IMO.

I can't recall who's in the A squad. Maybe add bailey to that?

Spark

Global Moderator

Mm, agree. Might make a potentially tough - but necessary - decision a bit easier now.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He's there anyway I suppose. Warner bats like a number six anyway IMO.

I can't recall who's in the A squad. Maybe add bailey to that?
Steve Smith, Moises Henriques, Alex Doolan, Jordan Silk, and Nic Maddinson are the batsman in the A squad who aren't in the Ashes squad (Haddin and Khawaja).

I'm still unsure what I want from our number six - I don't know if he should be our sixth best batsman or a guy that ends up being one of our better batsman in partnership with Clarke. Its Steve Smith or George Bailey who have to join the Test squad if Warner/Clarke can't play.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Should draft Smith or Bailey into the squad IMO.

I do think it's somewhat odd to ban him from the warm ups though. Could really hurt his chances of Ashes success.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
As soon as I saw the squad I had this feeling that we might end up playing Haddin at 6 and Faulkner at 7. Haddin's ton against Scotland, Faulkners performances in the ODI matches and now Warner's problems have only strengthened the possibility. I wouldn't do it though. :)

Spikey

I do think it's somewhat odd to ban him from the warm ups though. Could really hurt his chances of Ashes success.
As some smart guy (ME) said, it was really hard to get the punishment right here. Kick him out of CT? That could be just an one game ban. Not enough. Kick him out of the Ashes? ahahahahha. So you have to go in between that range....so attack the warm ups. I would have gone a 3 match ban...so if Aus somehow made the CT final, he's misses those 3 games and plays the warm-ups. Knocked out in the semi? Misses 2 CT games and the first warm-up. They probably wanted a more clear suspension though

ps
"He hurt his own chances for Ashes success"

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As some smart guy (ME) said, it was really hard to get the punishment right here. Kick him out of CT? That could be just an one game ban. Not enough. Kick him out of the Ashes? ahahahahha. So you have to go in between that range....so attack the warm ups. I would have gone a 3 match ban...so if Aus somehow made the CT final, he's misses those 3 games and plays the warm-ups. Knocked out in the semi? Misses 2 CT games and the first warm-up. They probably wanted a more clear suspension though

ps
"He hurt his own chances for Ashes success"
I think it would've made more sense to suspend him from the first Test than the warmups.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, was thinking the same thing, PEWS.

Mind you, he's the sort of character to come out and whack a double hundred in one of the warm up games. Just to really stuff things up, and get all the usual suspects talking about how ridiculous the ban is, just because he's a chosen one.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
But banning him from the first test would have been interesting if he played well in the warm-ups, I think they got it right tbh. But if they pick him for the first test then they haven't.