Cricket Player Manager
Page 6 of 241 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Would you say this is a recent change, PEWS? England have had this obsession towards the Ashes for a long time, but Waugh's Australia didn't appear to me as singularly focussed as that.
    Well, Waugh's career coincided almost perfectly with England's two decades of mediocrity. They have been a lot better after he retired. The Ashes become that much more important if you feel you are playing against one of the world's top teams which England certainly is now.

See thats where the difference in perception lies. I can only speak from personal experience that retaining the Border Gavaskar Trophy in 2004 was nowhere near as satisfying as winning it in Sydney would have been. I certainly hope the Australian team isn't taking this as light heartedly as you guys are.
    I genuinely believe though with the changes the team would actually have a better chance of winning anyway. Sure it's a risk to debut some new players, but hell the selectors were already willing to do that in the series at times far more important than what Sydney will be. Doherty, Smith, Beer?

All the guys treating Sydney as adead rubber, you do realise that beyond the Ashes, there's also the small matter of avoiding a home series defeat, don't you? Sydney is not a dead rubber by any means.
    **** that

Every series there has been some excuse for why changes cant be made e.g. playing India, the Ashes, Rooty Hill RSL next so we cant do that

How about we try a novel approach and actually pick a combination that represents arguably the best player for each position

If that means punting some "established"but consistently underperforming players then so be it

Subject to fitness, I'd pick

Watson
    Hughes
    Katich
    Hussey
    Ponting - (c) for the very last time
    Khawaja
    Haddin
    Hauritz
    Johnson
    Siddle
    Dougeh/Cameron/Copeland
    Smith - 12th man

Here's the problem with dropping Clarke though and then bringing him back when Ponting retires. Ghappel has said in no uncertain terms that Clarke will be the next captain. If you drop him, then bring him back and make him captain, what kind of message will that send to the team?
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Clarrie Grimmett's dead
    Maybe so, but at least he'd put up a bit more of a fight than our current team.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

U19 Debutant
    Without Katich's injury there has been only one change to the batting in this series. Smith for North.

And now we are likely to be 2-1 down

Was there any warning signs that the batting was weak ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Here's the problem with dropping Clarke though and then bringing him back when Ponting retires. Ghappel has said in no uncertain terms that Clarke will be the next captain. If you drop him, then bring him back and make him captain, what kind of message will that send to the team?
    a. There is no room for two charity cases in Ponting and Clarke

b. I wouldnt have Clarke as the next captain

c. They wont pick this team

Not really. Ponting as stated had a very good series in India, and Clarke, whilst failing in India, looked in supreme touch just before the injury. So that's taken everyone by surprise.

1 S Watson 2 P Hughes 3 R Ponting 4 U Khawaja 5 M Clarke 6 M Hussey 7 B Haddin 8 M Johnson 9 P Siddle 10 M Beer 11 D Bollinger.

Beer has to be given a chance, but even if he does well I'm not sure what it will prove.. I've kept Hughes if Katich isn't back yet,

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    a. There is no room for two charity cases in Ponting and Clarke

b. I wouldnt have Clarke as the next captain

c. They wont pick this team
    All fair stuff, but given that (b) is irrelevant regardless.

Although (c) kind of nullifies that point.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    Without Katich's injury there has been only one change to the batting in this series. Smith for North.

And now we are likely to be 2-1 down

Pre-series one of the biggest concerns was Hussey - imagine he'd been dropped pre-series?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    1 S Watson 2 P Hughes 3 R Ponting 4 U Khawaja 5 M Clarke 6 M Hussey 7 B Haddin 8 M Johnson 9 P Siddle 10 M Beer 11 D Bollinger.

Beer has to be given a chance, but even if he does well I'm not sure what it will prove.. I've kept Hughes if Katich isn't back yet,
    This is the team/order that I'd pick given the squad I think they'll name.

There were warning signs about the batting, but not so much about Ponting and Clarke. Sure you could say that Ponting hadn't had a big series in a while and that Clarke was poor in a two-match series against India, but I don't think there were any real indications that they'd average under 10 over four Ashes Tests.

There were massive, massive warning signs about Hussey, though, funnily enough. Hussey's performances should be a reminder of why not to drop Clarke. I'd much sooner drop Ponting because I think he's genuinely declined; Clarke has just had a bad patch. A little longer than a routine bad patch and at a terrible time, but I don't think it's a genuine decline.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Not really. Ponting as stated had a very good series in India, and Clarke, whilst failing in India, looked in supreme touch just before the injury. So that's taken everyone by surprise.
    Wouldn't say Ponting's series was very good. And Clarke's technical flaw has been back in his game for a while now, I'm hardly surprised.
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering the life of Phil 'The Prince' Hughes

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post

The constant batting collapses since 2007. So, so many.

Page 6 of 241 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread Information