• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

iamdavid

International Debutant
Clarke for me isn't even the pale shadow of the young dynamic batsman he was when he burst onto the scene, he used to play with no fear and take the attack to the opposition, and these were the qualities that helped him become such a prominent contender to replace Ponting
Actually, he was the only young batsman who looked a reasonably sure thing to be established in the test side when Ponting went, plus he had some captaincy experience at Under-19 level. I doubt his 'playing with no fear', ie playing some pretty shots but constantly falling to lame prods outside his off stump, had much to do with him being earmarked for the captaincy.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah this. I don't know why people "miss" the old Clarke so much. Yeah, it was pretty and exciting, but definitely not the way to play at test level.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There were massive, massive warning signs about Hussey, though, funnily enough. Hussey's performances should be a reminder of why not to drop Clarke. I'd much sooner drop Ponting because I think he's genuinely declined; Clarke has just had a bad patch. A little longer than a routine bad patch and at a terrible time, but I don't think it's a genuine decline.
AWTA, he'll be back scoring inconsequential tons soon enough.

Think it's a monty that the selectors won't drop both Clarke and Ponting at the same time. Guessing that both with be there come Sydney with a scapegoat, Hughes, dropped for a batter (probably Usman) and Haddin coming in at 6 ahead of Smith at 7, Hauritz at 8, Johnson at 9 follwed by Hilf and Siddle.

Just you watch.

Last edited:

Spikey

obviously you meant for Hilf to be dropped instead of Siddle, but man oh man am I worried that Harris' injury will see Hilf escape the axe.

Top_Cat

Yeah, doh that's what I meant. Definitely reckon they'll retain Hilf as the straight man in the attack, Harris' injury saving him big time.

God he reminds me of Paul Reiffel. Loooooooooong stretches of innocuous bowling punctuated by the occasional bag.

Without the bags, of course.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd thank Hughes for coming. I know he's regarded as one for the future, but can't quite see it just now. However good his eye is his technique is such that unless he's in totally proper nick he'll be a liability against decent bowling.

If Katto is fit (and it'd be a Lazarus like recovery from what I thought was a torn achilles) it also allows the boy the fig leaf of giving way to the chap whose seat he was keeping warm too.

Smith at six is, to use the current vernacular, epic fail territory. His dismissal today shows his shot selection patently isn't that of a test batsman. Khawaja should come in, with Ponting, Clarke & Hussey all moving down to accomodate him at three. If Katich isn't fit (and I seriously doubt he'll be anything like 100%) I'd be looking at Cosgrove. Bunter or not, he's a classy batsman and is still only in his mid-20s.

Hauritz in for the sadly crocked Harris (a misguided loyalty to Beer is an error on an error) and I'd personally bring in the sharp looking Cameron for the toothless Hilf. Bollinger coming back is crazy talk.

Ponting should be offered the chance to resign, but chopped as captain if not. He's gone. Let's see if he still has it as a batsman. Hussey handed the armband.

Watson
Katich
Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey*
Haddin+
Johnson
Hauritz
Siddle
Cameron

Bun

Banned
England should go in for the kill. There cannot be a more propitious time to record their first series win in Australia in two decades and some more. They might have retained the Ashes, but a 2-2 scoreline would be giving Australia far too much leniency considering the gap in the quality of cricket played so far. Australia still have a home series to lose, and kapithaan terrible' would prefer to sign off a career which otherwise is eerily reminiscent of a slightly modified Nolan line, 'Either you retire a hero, or play long enough to become the villain'

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
Got to agree Hughes will be the scapegoat, maybe even Smith, Possible Khawaja in and someone else. Maybe if they want to do something radical they can give Hughes an extended run in tests before cutting him, I'm sure the results will come with confidence. But the papering over will be done again, one or two of the newest will get axed, and we will introduce maybe two new young ones, or possible God forbid Marsh.

Ashes is lost, 3-1 looks a likely result barring rain, do something hip maaan

vcs

Feel pretty confident that Australia will win at the SCG, surprisingly.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Feel pretty confident that Australia will win at the SCG, surprisingly.
Certainly wouldn't rule it out. A lot depends on which Johnson turns up and whether the selectors can HTFU and make some tough choices.

If Oz go in with the same XI I'd be as confident as a dyed-in-the-wool pessimist could ever get about England's chances.

vcs

Certainly wouldn't rule it out. A lot depends on which Johnson turns up and whether the selectors can HTFU and make some tough choices.

If Oz go in with the same XI I'd be as confident as a dyed-in-the-wool pessimist could ever get about England's chances.
No, I meant in the sense that the backlash of this loss will mean a real lift in performances and I expect a bit of a natural letdown from England from their fantastic intensity levels so far with the job done. Don't think the two sides are quite that far apart, quality wise, as this series has suggested so far.

jackster83

Cricket Spectator
---Australia---
Hughes
Katich/Cosgrove (if Kato not fit)
Watson (like the idea of him batting at 3)
Hussey
Clarke
Ferguson
Haddin
Hauritz
Johnson
Siddle
Copeland

---England---
Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pieterson
Bell
Morgan
Prior
Bresnan
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson

PhoenixFire

International Coach
No, I meant in the sense that the backlash of this loss will mean a real lift in performances and I expect a bit of a natural letdown from England from their fantastic intensity levels so far with the job done.
I'm 99% sure that Andy Flower and Andrew Strauss will not let that happen.

Not sure how you can expect a victory from a team who has been comprehensively outplayed for most of the series.

Uppercut

In fairness, they've also comprehensively outplayed England for 1 1/2 matches of the four so it's hardly far-fetched.