• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Ricky Ponting cop a ban?

What should Ponting's punishment be?

• Total voters

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He really got off very lightly here.

But kind of expected it.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
I loved the revisionism from C9 this morning. Mark Nicholas not even suggesting that the edge was in doubt - to him, it was a certainty and the technology was deficient in not showing it up. Utter codswallop. C9 should be ashamed.
Revisionism of the facts? Or revisionism from your own previous reference frame of the story which may or may not have been fully informed.....

From my take of the interview with Ponting this morning. The players saw a replay on the big screen and could see a white spot where the bat clipped the edge of KP's pad, being 100m from the screen, their view was in no way as clear as a third umpire in front of a monitor. Not having seen 5 replays from the armchair, they believed that it was clear evidence of an edge and then questioned the point with umpire Dar.

From here, this is where Ponting and Siddle crossed the line and complained for too long and we all witnessed scenes of what appeared to them intimidating the field umpire both verbally and non-verbally. After the hearing the case for verbal abuse was played down by both field umpires and Ponting apologised. What remained was for him to face penalty for the behavioural breaches, which was dealt with and thankfully, away from the heat of the battle, he accepted fully the umpires decision realising he made an error. Probably scripted by PR managers but also based on the facts of the hearing.

This is what I got from the C9 interview this morning, live it was all speculation, or if they were privy to audio form the stump mikes, the incident was clouded by their own interpretation of what was going on in real time and amongst the general need to talk **** to entertain people.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Revisionism of the facts? Or revisionism from your own previous reference frame of the story which may or may not have been fully informed.....
No, no. You've misunderstood me. Ponting's interview was fine, but Nicholas didn't leave any element of doubt in his introduction that Pietersen had edged it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
No, no. You've misunderstood me. Ponting's interview was fine, but Nicholas didn't leave any element of doubt in his introduction that Pietersen had edged it.
This doesn't excuse Ponting's pathetic attack at technology, given he was citing a mark on Hotspot that came from the pad, but KP hit that - absolutely he hit that. The slo-mo view up close clearly shows a deviation. I don't know if the umpires saw that view, however.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This doesn't excuse Ponting's pathetic attack at technology, given he was citing a mark on Hotspot that came from the pad, but KP hit that - absolutely he hit that. The slo-mo view up close clearly shows a deviation. I don't know if the umpires saw that view, however.
No it didn't. The seam didn't change position at all.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At 1:20 Tubby Taylor says that he missed it. That's just the same coverage I watched yesterday and whilst the original view was that he must have hit it (as mine was, if you read the match thread) once seeing the replays and slo-mos, there's no evidence he hit it - no deviation, no snicko, no hotspot.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's irrelevant whether he hit it or not. It's not like decision was going to be changed either way, and people have been fined for barely looking at the umpire.

In any case, if there is no snicko, there is no hotspot, there is no deviation, and you can't tell in the slomo - that's way past the three sigma rule and he didn't hit it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You don't get suspended for attacking technology in interviews mate. If you did Roger Federer wouldn't have competed in a tennis major for three years.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You don't get suspended for attacking technology in interviews mate. If you did Roger Federer wouldn't have competed in a tennis major for three years.
Quite right sir. You get suspended for attacking umpires, which D. Ponting made a pretty fair effort of.

And previous mentions of double standards are completely right. I remember Kyle Mills getting done 20% or so of his match fee for merely not turning around when appealing for an lbw. So 40% when you have previous history, and are supposed to be an international captain upholding the spirit of the game, is weak as anything.

I wonder if Ponting still wonders why no one bothered to go along with his 'take a fielder's word' edict a while back.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quite right sir. You get suspended for attacking umpires, which D. Ponting made a pretty fair effort of.

And previous mentions of double standards are completely right. I remember Kyle Mills getting done 20% or so of his match fee for merely not turning around when appealing for an lbw. So 40% when you have previous history, and are supposed to be an international captain upholding the spirit of the game, is weak as anything.

I wonder if Ponting still wonders why no one bothered to go along with his 'take a fielder's word' edict a while back.
Yeah that's right. But whether he says in an interview that he still thinks it was out despite hotspot etc is irrelevant, frankly. That's all I was saying :)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That it is, we certainly agree on that. His attack on technology definitely wasn't my issue. Given how much I dislike it (in its current state) I couldn't say any different

Jacknife

International Captain
Seems that's your opinion..mine, and that of others, is that at 1:20 in here - YouTube - Ashes 2010 - Ponting v Umpire (Possible Pietersen Wicket) - it clips the inside edge.
That clip shows no deviation what so ever,not even slightly , the ball carries rotating the same all the way past KPs' bat. The replay that Sky were showing and the commentators at the time were in agreement that the mark at the bottom of KPs' bat was when he skimmed the side/front of his pad after the ball went passed and that is certainly how it looked to me. Most of the comments left on youtube who left a relevant comment, thought it wasn't out as well, as well as most on here.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
That clip shows no deviation what so ever,not even slightly , the ball carries rotating the same all the way past KPs' bat. The replay that Sky were showing and the commentators at the time were in agreement that the mark at the bottom of KPs' bat was when he skimmed the side/front of his pad after the ball went passed and that is certainly how it looked to me.
I agree, what's interesting is that looking at the replay of the youtube clip, it doesn't look like the bottom of his bat gets near his pad. The white speck on the toe is clearly a lot lower than where the ball passed the bat. The hotspot and front on vision side by side would probably clear that up further.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
I agree, what's interesting is that looking at the replay of the youtube clip, it doesn't look like the bottom of his bat gets near his pad. The white speck on the toe is clearly a lot lower than where the ball passed the bat. The hotspot and front on vision side by side would probably clear that up further.
Yes, on Sky Nasser thought it was from his bat and they eventually showed the front on shot and another angle, from I think from over mid off's head, that you could see that KP brings his bat around the front of his pad and appears to just skim it.

Spark

Global Moderator
If he did hit it, it was the finest edge in history and I'm not going to begrudge any umpire who doesn't give that one.