• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Ricky Ponting cop a ban?

What should Ponting's punishment be?

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Again, this comes with the disclaimer that one's increasingly given to bouts of sanctimony, but 40% of his match fee is a bit of a joke, isn't it? Especially given it's being reported he's had four censures for dissent before.

Worse than no action at all, IMHO.

Ruckus

International Captain
Ponting isn't a soft player, he has always been like this. He probably has borderline anger management issues tbh.

Spark

Global Moderator
Basically all of 1999.
Is that comparable? Middling, inexperienced team with no champion players, with the Ashes on the line and quickly fading?

Anyway, nothing grinds my gears more than seeing the word soft thrown around in this manner.

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Serious? Waugh was known for his famous innings that he'd craft-out when his team was behind.

His best ODI innings was against South Africa in the 1999 World Cup (when Gibbs dropped him), and he brought Australia back from the dead. People will knock it for Gibbs' mistake, but that ignores all the other brilliant stuff that he did.

In the Test arena his innings against the West Indies in 1995 was beyond incredible.

Then there was his famous century he made in England around 2001 where he scored a century on one leg. That's tough. And then there's his last ball of the day century. Even in his last Test, India were looking like they'd take a series in Australia (something they'd never done), and he knocked-out a tough 80 runs.

Francis, is what you're saying in terms of toughness, that Ponting lets the pressure of captaincy affect his own form and state of mind more than Waugh and Border?
Yes. Both Border and Waugh got off to bad starts as captain, but they adjusted their game to suit the needs of their country.

That... and I also think Ponting's leadership affects the Aussie mentality too. Under Waugh there was a resoluteness that they could overcome any situation, whatever the pressure. Yes that was an amazingly talented side, the best side I've ever seen, but they had no right to win 15 Tests in a row, and should have gone on to win in India in 2001.

Honestly, there was a period in the early 2000s that I became convinced a side could only beat Australia under the most remarkable circumstances, such as in India in 2001. Australia were just the masters of handling pressure and turning around situations.

Yes Ponting did captain a side that won 15 Tests in a row (although it wasn't as impressive as the first time it happened), but there have been some spectacular failings under Ponting's leadership. The 2005 and 2009 Ashes were poorly captained by Ponting.

But yeah the pressure is hurting his form, the way he captains the side, and I think it infects other players. Harsh thing to say and bound to upset some Aussies here.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hilarious. Especially since he bleats incessantly about how Aussies play hard but never cross the line - mind you, it's a line they themselves draw based on their own behavior - a situation that would make Joseph Heller proud.

Also, lol@40%. No way there would be anything but a suspension if it had been certain other players.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And so how, then, could you say he's a soft player for ****'s sake?

EDIT: And when did Waugh ever have to deal with this kind of situation?
Tbf, Waugh let a lot - and I mean a lot - of stuff from his players go unchecked on the field. They sledged a lot more under him than under Ponting I'd say.

That's not said to excuse the latter's antics today btw.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting's run of 16 Tests > Waugh's run of 16 Tests. Look at the quality of the opposition faced, the situation from which they rebounded etc. There's no question about it.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
This isn't denying, of course, that Ponting is one of the best batsman ever. In terms of talent I'd have him below Bradman and Greg Chappel and that's all. In terms of being a big match performer, I'd maybe have Steve Waugh ahead of him.

As a batsman he's tough, as a leader, yes I think he's a huge step down from Steve Waugh.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Also, while 40% is hilariously low - I don't particularly think it's that bad.

If I were Dar - I'd just laugh in his face and walk away. 'You should be busy losing another Ashes series. If you've got a problem, write it in the umpire review.'

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hilarious. Especially since he bleats incessantly about how Aussies play hard but never go past the imaginary line that they themselves draw.

Also, lol@40%. No way there would be anything but a suspension if it had been certain other players.
Think it's the "home side" thing rather than any conspiracy theory myself. If Strauss spat the dummy at Lords (unlikely scenario, but hypothetically) I doubt he'd get more than the token slap on the wallet either.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Hilarious. Especially since he bleats incessantly about how Aussies play hard but never cross the line - mind you, it's a line they themselves draw based on their own behavior - a situation that would make Joseph Heller proud.

Hmm your posts are a little more well thought-out than this silentstriker. Admittedly I've taken a more brazen approach in my last few posts.

I'm a huge fan of the Aussies of the mid 70s, and their tough mental approach.

I'm a fan of Allan Border, and the insane things he used to do to toughen up his side.

Steve Waugh's side... guys like Hayden went overboard under his leadership. But Steve Waugh had a good line he never crossed, and never would have done what he did today.

There's really nothing hilarious about my post. Waugh's side was tough, and Waugh never would have done what Ponting did today.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think a couple of you misunderstood me. By "situation" I meant match/general situation ie. middling test side, Ashes slipping away etc.

Ponting's run of 16 Tests > Waugh's run of 16 Tests. Look at the quality of the opposition faced, the situation from which they rebounded etc. There's no question about it.
Better team too.

Spark

Global Moderator
None of this is to excuse Ponting's behaviour, of course. But it's not the first - or even the worst - time he's done this in his career, by a long way.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
From a purely jingoistic point of view, the worst thing is that it'll remain an issue. With a full fine, or a suspended sentence, it wouldn't last beyond tomorrow.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Think it's the "home side" thing rather than any conspiracy theory myself. If Strauss spat the dummy at Lords (unlikely scenario, but hypothetically) I doubt he'd get more than the token slap on the wallet either.
Certainly not claiming some conspiracy theory - but there is a perception that certain teams get away with more. Or rather, might be better at manipulating the rules better (e.g, match referee coming out and saying a while back the 'expectation' is different for SA and Aus since they 'play harder' so the standard is different). It's certainly not the Aussie's fault - you gotta do what you can to get the decisions in your favor. It's a problem of enforcement.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
From a purely jingoistic point of view, the worst thing is that it'll remain an issue. With a full fine, or a suspended sentence, it wouldn't last beyond tomorrow.
I will say that I can't see England caring at all about this though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
One thing about other/former leaders, is that all their indiscretions were aimed at opposition, not at officials. He challenges the umpires more often than pretty much anyone I can think of.

From memory, anyways.